therapy dog - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelina View Post
Seriously :O
Yeah look up "therapy dog international" on google...they have a website all about their certification and their program. Once you pass it, you pay $40 a year or something like that to keep having that insurance in case your dog scratches someone and they make a fuss about it. It is like a $1,000,000 liability policy but they never expect to pay because in general no one will make that large of a fuss. This is why we have many dogs at our club that do therapy outings and don't have the certification...their owners/handlers think its just a waste of money.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 08:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

all you need is a dog with a good temperament, good foundation in basic obedience, T.D.Inc registers therapy dogs, not certify`s, big difference, some dogs do well in hospitals, some dont, you`ll have to see what your pups likes, T.D.Inc registers your dog and you have a 5 million dollar liability policy, and no prongs allowed

Tester/Observer T.D.INC
ken k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 08:57 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
Just a note...TDI certification is more like an insurance policy than the title of "therapy dog." We have a lot of dogs at our club that go to schools and retirement communities without it because its like a $40 fee every year for pretty much liability insurance that your dog won't scratch someone.

I'm not trying to say you don't need to get the certification, but most places could care less and don't ask for those things anyways. They just kind of expect that you won't bring a dangerous dog into a group of children or elderly people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
Yeah look up "therapy dog international" on google...they have a website all about their certification and their program. Once you pass it, you pay $40 a year or something like that to keep having that insurance in case your dog scratches someone and they make a fuss about it. It is like a $1,000,000 liability policy but they never expect to pay because in general no one will make that large of a fuss. This is why we have many dogs at our club that do therapy outings and don't have the certification...their owners/handlers think its just a waste of money.
My pup is a hella puller for the time being, so im correcting this performance with a prong ATM after a months of use and still no improvement, I will throw the therapy dog out of my mind! So no prong use during testing!

But thanks for the support! It made me smile lots (: !

That is really crazy with the whole not being certified! But your dog is a therapy dog? You are in the club so im guessin ^-^
kelina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 08:58 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken k View Post
all you need is a dog with a good temperament, good foundation in basic obedience, T.D.Inc registers therapy dogs, not certify`s, big difference, some dogs do well in hospitals, some dont, you`ll have to see what your pups likes, T.D.Inc registers your dog and you have a 5 million dollar liability policy, and no prongs allowed
Phew (: ! I see your dog is T.D ! Aweeeesome!
Old 11-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

IMHO here's my experience: My lab had several certifications, including his CGC and CDX and was a "certified" therapy dog. He was certified over in Seattle, and here in Spokane, no hospital or retirement/assisted living place or school ever even had the same requirements--heck, most of them didn't even ask me for his certifications!

What I would say, is--for sure the dog MUST be calm and ROCK SOLID. There are often patients with dementia, and they can suddenly become violent or very upset/emotional. The dog must be able to take it. Same with the kids wards--children are often under a great deal of stress and will act out. My yellow lab once had to endure (for just a brief moment until I removed him quickly) an elderly man suddenly start hitting him on the head and screaming. My wonderful, trustworthy dog, for those brief terrible moments where it seemed like slow motion that I was moving him back, just closed his eyes and remained absolutely calm.

Rocket has gone to a school and taught a bite prevention class 4 times over the last year. He has done wonderfully, but even though he is 17 months, I feel he still needs a bit of maturing and proofing before I consider doing any therapy work with him. The dog needs to be able to handle the stress (yes, it can be stressful for a dog, because often people in a hospital or retirement venue just ooze emotion) and the different sounds, ways people might act when they're disabled, machines they might use, and most importantly the smells and sights. My MIL and my SIL are very disabled, and I was greatly encouraged this Thanksgiving to see how calm and gentle he was around them.

Things to think about. It's also a commitment, because they will come to look forward to you and your visit. If you back out, it's extremely disappointing to people who have very few things as "bright" spots on the horizon.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 09:15 PM   #16 (permalink)

Wow @rocketdog - an amazing story and that lab is absolutely amazing. My heart would be racing!

I do appreciate the things to considers so thanks for taking out the time to write to my post

Hopefully your rocket will be up for the challenge! Shadow is still a little lap dog hehe, she is REALLY learning well ! This thanksgiving was a great time to teach her obedience skills and she succeeded in so much!

No lie, she actually is starting to come when I say come lol ! So excited my baby girl is growing up SO quick!
Old 11-26-2012, 09:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I know around here it is hard to find any place that would allow a dog to visit if they are t registered with a therapy dog organization. The testing shows that the dog has at least been observed by someone (the tester) that they are obedient and safe around people. I also wouldn't scoff at the idea of insurance, you just never know...
Old 11-26-2012, 09:38 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagocanine View Post
I know around here it is hard to find any place that would allow a dog to visit if they are t registered with a therapy dog organization. The testing shows that the dog has at least been observed by someone (the tester) that they are obedient and safe around people. I also wouldn't scoff at the idea of insurance, you just never know...
True ! Can we post videos on here? I would love to show off my pups techniques lol

Maybe it will be easier to determine if she will be a good therapy dog ?
Old 11-26-2012, 11:16 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Jax has all the training, and passed the TDI test, to be a therapy dog. Except there was one problem...she has ZERO interest in strangers. She watches them, determines they have nothing of interest and turns away from them.

I think the number one quality you need to look for is if SHE wants to do it. And her personality may change as she gets older and matures. Second, she needs to be stable around other animals and people with disabilities. Could be awkward if she takes exception to a walker in a skilled nursing unit.

The rest is on you...training...training...training...and commitment to show up every week. Some of these people will wait all week to see the therapy dogs. For some of these people, it's all they have.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 12:58 AM   #20 (permalink)
EJQ
Knighted Member

Unless I am very much mistaken you are not allowed to train for CGC or Therapy while using a pinch collar.
Sorry but I don't agree that any calm, cool, dog can do therapy work without proper training and testing. If you have ever done Therapy (especially the kind that I do) you would realize that your dog needs to exhibit the ability to do this work. They need to be prepared for it through professional training.

I visit three schools in my area - the students range from pre-K to sixth grade. The students include special needs kids of all ages. One class is made up entirely of Autistic kids.

In addition to the schools, I visit three psychiatric facilities. One lock down, one walk in clinic and one psychiatric group residence.

In each case I began my visits by official invitation. Before physicals, background checks, and HIPAA training, the very first thing that these people wanted to see was proof that my girls were TDI tested - it was a requirement.

Good luck!

AHREN vom Garringer (crossed over December 30, 2011)
B'ELANNA vom FlaglerHaus CGC, SAR (crossed over March 4, 2011)
MISSY (crossed)
MERCEDES (crossed)
DION (crossed)
EJQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.