Going for CGC/TDI... advice and a few small ???s - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to VaBeachFamily Send a message via Yahoo to VaBeachFamily
Default Going for CGC/TDI... advice and a few small ???s

I am taking Cullen on the 20th to test for his CGC and TDI test. I have seen many videos and it seems like testing can vary depending on the person judging. I have a few questions/needs for tips.

1) Am I allowed to put ANY pressure on the leash for the walk/turns?
Also, as far as corrections, when it comes to the food on the ground, what is allowed ( "Leave IT" or a slight tap on the lead?).

2) What is acceptable for giving him to a stranger and leaving for 3 minutes? I really think it will depend on the particular person ( if they would just talk to him, I think we would be fine, but have seen CGC tests where the person is like a tree, not sure how he is going to handle that).

3) Loud Noise test... What again is acceptable behavior? I mean, he has done gunshots in the past and just looks and doesn't really care, but someone dropping a pan too close or turning on a vac might cause him to get up and show curiousity, especially if within a few feed).

Would love advice. I think he will do fine, but last minute jitters I guess as the date approaches!

~ Cullen Vom Sandstranden, Purebred GSD, Black/Red Male : 12/16/09

~ Panzer Vom Sandstranden, Purebred GSD, Sable Female : 11/29/10

~ Gizmo , Amstaff, Brindle/White Female : 5/5/2000
VaBeachFamily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaBeachFamily View Post
I am taking Cullen on the 20th to test for his CGC and TDI test. I have seen many videos and it seems like testing can vary depending on the person judging. I have a few questions/needs for tips.

Also, as far as corrections, when it comes to the food on the ground, what is allowed ( "Leave IT" or a slight tap on the lead?).

2) What is acceptable for giving him to a stranger and leaving for 3 minutes? I really think it will depend on the particular person ( if they would just talk to him, I think we would be fine, but have seen CGC tests where the person is like a tree, not sure how he is going to handle that).

3) Loud Noise test... What again is acceptable behavior? I mean, he has done gunshots in the past and just looks and doesn't really care, but someone dropping a pan too close or turning on a vac might cause him to get up and show curiousity, especially if within a few feed).

Would love advice. I think he will do fine, but last minute jitters I guess as the date approaches!
You can talk to your dog all you want. Loose leash is loose leash, I think its got to be 75% loose. No jumping on the stranger and minimal nervousness. For the loud noise, I think as long as they don't react(lunge or bark), you are good. I think most of it is voice, I don't remember using any physical corrections, so I'm not sure if they are allowed. Good Luck.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC
Brennan- Golden Retriever

"A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you
more than he loves himself."
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Frag and I got his CGC this spring/summer. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaBeachFamily View Post

A second or two of pressure for direction on the leash (NOT pulling or yanking) was acceptable by my judge as long as your dog was focusing on you most of the time very well and not pulling himself obviously. I'm assuming food is in TDI? I would imagine then that you could SAY anything, but no physical corrections.

I have been told (and in my test) the person is NOT supposed to pet, ooh, ahh, or encourage the dog. My stranger sat on a metal chair holding his leash, not touching, talking, or looking at him.

I was told and was judge as, a reaction is fine, curiosity is fine, as is some movement, but getting over-excited, scared, not recovering within 2-4 seconds, barking/growling, etc. is not acceptable. Obviously most dogs will acknowledge the noise, but they need to compose themselves immediately after. My evaluator had me distract Frag, then dropped a stainless steel dog bowl about 5-10 feet from him. He jumped up and looked at the two of them like they were crazy, then looked back to me and sat down.

Good luck!
DJEtzel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 10:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

The TDI test was pretty easy. Are you doing it here in Hampton Roads? For us, the actual performance of the Therapy Dog "job" blew us out of the water. We retired...Scarlett was a super star passing the test, but her barking at people who are nervous around her was just too much to manage.

Alas, she DID pass the test and I guess that is OK at the end of the day.

PM me if you want some specifics on my experience taking the TDI locally.

If you are going through hades, keep going!
Scarlettsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to VaBeachFamily Send a message via Yahoo to VaBeachFamily

Thanks everyone. Scarlett, yes, I am taking it locally, so will send you a message. Cullen has NO issues barking at anyone ( well, except around our house). A trainer I know is taking some time to help us work out the kinks just to make me feel better!

Old 10-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Good luck on your testing Can't wait to read about it in the braggs section!!

Kenai - 10 yr old Samoyed Koda - 8 yr old Samoyed
Max - 4 yr old rescue Persian Nita - 01/26/2012 GSD
gmcwife1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

And this is why, for a title, I think it should be taken 2 times at least a month apart, and by 2-3 different judges. Oh, that should be some other thread. But this 75% loose, where is that coming from? It really depends on the evaluator. Some evaluators are easy and will give you a pass if they see the leash get loose and stay there for a short period. Others want the leash loose. I think giving a correction or pulling the dog into position will get you a fail from anyone, but there is some level of leeway on the loose-lead walking.

Good luck. You should do fine. I did the TDI with Rushie and we passed it. But now they will have a child present, I think that has changed since I took it. Rush would have been ok with that I think. I was able to say, LEAVE IT over the food. I guess you have to step over it, not sure, it was a few years ago when we took it.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Well thanks to an awesome board member who took the test with the same person, I have a better understanding. Cullen won't take the biscuit even if you hand it to him, I was worried they would use BACON or something!!! I could only imagine his reaction.

Our two largest worries will be... If I have to hand him and walk away, he might whine or bark at me, seeing as even when I have handed him over, it's to someone he knows. We also are going to just have to see about the whole meeting with a dog thing. He gets very excited when he thinks he is meeting a friend! We are going to just have to work on this.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

BTW, Selzer, how did you find somewhere doing the Herding Instinct? I see it on your signature. I have two people locally that do evaluations and training, but cannot seem to find a local place to do the actual HIC

Old 10-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Well, the reason I type out Herding Instinct Certificate, is because I passed a herding instinct test, and got a certificate. But I don't believe this qualifies as the HIT because it was a single shot deal, and done by the Pyrean Shepherd Club. Nevertheless, we did get out there with these little shetland sheep and I did what the lady told me to do, and Babs did the rest. The woman said that she would make a great herding dog and that she checks in with me to see what I want next. She didn't say it in those words, but it was that the dog wanted to work with me to move the sheep.

The did that at a puppy match, at the Polo Fields in Cleveland. I got my TDI with Rushie there too one year. It is a good sized show with matches it obedience, rally, conformation, etc. I think always held on the fourth of July.

I suppose you could google Herding Instinct and look for places in your area.

I asked what would happen if Babs wanted to EAT the sheep. The lady said she would protect her sheep. She had a crook. But I understand that if your dog does take a liking to sheep flesh, then you have to pay for the critter. And even so, I am sure people who own the sheep wouldn't be too happy about that.

Also, every year, our club has a herding fun day where they do herding instinct tests. I haven't been yet because it is always way far from me, considering the meetings are about 90 minutes away each way, and this is farther. Evenso, it is a great idea to get involved with a GSD club in your area. They put on matches and shows, and are up on who has the best training, sometimes they get together weekly to work young dogs and puppies, they have events like herding and agility.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.