"Service Dog In Training" - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #11 (permalink)

I'm not talking about a SD or SDIT but a dog that is not an SDIT being identified as such. I know legally it doesn't really matter, right? Because an SDIT is really no different than a companion dog, only an SD has more access rights? I have no problem with the SDIT vest/patch for a dog that really is training to be an SD, I'm just wondering why someone would use that one for a dog that is *not* an SDIT.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 10:34 AM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Lies, that's how I took your post...dogs in no way shape or form in training or an actual service dog. More a internet purchase of a vest slapped on the dog.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I'm not talking about a SD or SDIT but a dog that is not an SDIT being identified as such.
Are you totally sure they are not training to be service dogs?
Could they be confusing service dog and therapy dog, or be training for a different type of "service"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I know legally it doesn't really matter, right? Because an SDIT is really no different than a companion dog, only an SD has more access rights? I have no problem with the SDIT vest/patch for a dog that really is training to be an SD, I'm just wondering why someone would use that one for a dog that is *not* an SDIT.
It depends on the area. Service dogs in training are not covered under the ADA, but some states do include them in the state laws. So in some states, either a handler with a disability or a trainer/individual training the dog for someone else DOES have access rights with a service dog in training.
So it is possible that people may be using these vests/patches in order to gain access to places where pets are not allowed by passing their pet dog off as a SDIT, if the state includes SDIT in the law. In some states only "certified" trainers or those with a service dog school have access rights with SDIT but in other states that is not specified.

However if the person is only taking the dog into public places that pet dogs are allowed, they are probably not breaking any laws unless the state has a specific law for passing a pet off as a service dog in training on the street. Obviously it's still wrong if the dog is not truly a SDIT.
I am not sure why they would put these patches on a dog if they're not training it for a service dog and not trying to sneak them into places pets aren't allowed. If they just don't want people to pet the dog, they could use DO NOT PET patches (or one of those "dog in training" or "needs space" vests) without using the word service dog, and if they want people to pet the dog there are better options than a SDIT patch which would have the opposite effect.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I've seen both, and IMHO it's fairly easy to spot the ones that are abusing the system. Irritating and DH always immediately steers me far away so my mouth doesn't get us into trouble.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Also, many stores won't allow dogs and I think that many people just want to take Precious to the mall.

I say this while admitting I take my dog everywhere he's allowed; but that's the point-- I take him where he's allowed.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.