Service Dogs in Training...? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2011, 01:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Service Dogs in Training...?

Are service dogs that are in training allowed everywhere that a fully trained service dog is allowed?

I went to Olive Garden yesterday and there was a dog there with a purple vest that said, "Service Dog in Training." I thought that they were only allowed in places like restaurants after they completed training?

I figure this would leave a huge loophole. Someone could stick an 'in training' vest on their dog and take them wherever they wanted to, if that was the case, so long as the dog didn't cause an issue, couldn't they? Because don't they receive proof that the dog is specifically trained to perform specific tasks based on the handler's disability after training? So if someone asks to see proof, they could just say, "Well, he's in training."

Just curious. Please enlighten the ignorant.
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Konotashi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2011, 01:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Where is Lin when you need her? I'm curious about this as well because i saw a black lab wearing a SD in training vest as well the other day at Red Lobster.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2011, 01:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lin
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konotashi View Post
Are service dogs that are in training allowed everywhere that a fully trained service dog is allowed?
It depends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZoppa
Where is Lin when you need her?
Give me a few minutes!! LOL

Ok, it depends on your state. Federally, SDITs have no public access rights. In California for example, SDITs have the exact same public access rights as SDs. In Indiana, SDITs have the same public access rights "when accompanied by a service dog trainer" and does not define service dog trainer. So you could interpret that to include owner trained dogs or only organization trained dogs. When Tessa was a SDIT, I started out calling places in advance and asking if they allowed SDITs just to cover my a**.

ETA: I don't consider it to be a loophole... IMO abusing a SDIT patch/vest is no different than abusing a SD one. Most of the time, if your dog doesn't cause a problem no one is going to question either. I could see where people might be more likely to abuse a SDIT one, since you could use the 'in training' as an excuse for inappropriate behavior. But people even slap therapy dog vests/patches on and take dogs places when therapy dogs have NO public access rights (they are only welcome when invited.)

Last edited by Lin; 02-24-2011 at 01:56 AM.
Lin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2011, 01:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin View Post
It depends.

Give me a few minutes!! LOL

Ok, it depends on your state. Federally, SDITs have no public access rights. In California for example, SDITs have the exact same public access rights as SDs. In Indiana, SDITs have the same public access rights "when accompanied by a service dog trainer" and does not define service dog trainer. So you could interpret that to include owner trained dogs or only organization trained dogs. When Tessa was a SDIT, I started out calling places in advance and asking if they allowed SDITs just to cover my a**.

hehe thanks for the info!
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2011, 01:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

...So where can I get a mini SDIT vest for Ozzy? LOL

(Kidding).
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Konotashi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2011, 04:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If I remember correctly, in Virginia, SDITs can be in public like fully-trained Service Dogs if they are accompanied either by their disabled handler or a trainer. If accompanied by a trainer, they are required to have something on their group/company's official letterhead showing their affiliation and that they are training, and IIRC they also must be clearly vested with the organization's logo and "in training".

AbbyK9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2011, 04:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

When we had the guide puppy we raised we were able to take her everywhere when she was wearing her "in training" vest. Establishments could have asked us to take her out and we'd not have been able to force them to allow her in, but we did not ever encounter anywhere that was unwilling to welcome her. She went to school with my sister (she was the actual puppy raiser, the rest of us assisted, lo), flew on planes and traveled by bus to attend FHA events (that was the program my sister opted to use the experience as a project for), went into stores, restaurants, hospitals, offices - ANYWHERE my sister went, so did the dog.
She had a collar with information regarding her affiliation and the school from which she came to be placed with us as well as paperwork, but we were never asked to provide either to gain entrance to anyplace she was taken.
FTR, this was over 20 years ago, so I realize things may have changed.

Last edited by BOHICA Bay; 02-24-2011 at 04:49 PM.
BOHICA Bay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2011, 04:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
EJQ
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin View Post
It depends.
But people even slap therapy dog vests/patches on and take dogs places when therapy dogs have NO public access rights (they are only welcome when invited.)
Sorry that's not true in our area of New York State. Our TDI dogs are welcome just about anyplace - including the enclosed shopping malls.
In NYC dogs are welcome in most large department stores (such as Macy's) as well as various other public buildings; regardless of whether you are talking a service dog, therapy dog or companion dog.
You need to do some homework as to what is acceptable in your area.
BTW, TDI dogs do not wear vests.

AHREN vom Garringer (crossed over December 30, 2011)
B'ELANNA vom FlaglerHaus CGC, SAR (crossed over March 4, 2011)
MISSY (crossed)
MERCEDES (crossed)
DION (crossed)
EJQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2011, 04:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJQ View Post
Sorry that's not true in our area of New York State. Our TDI dogs are welcome just about anyplace - including the enclosed shopping malls.
In NYC dogs are welcome in most large department stores (such as Macy's) as well as various other public buildings; regardless of whether you are talking a service dog, therapy dog or companion dog.
You need to do some homework as to what is acceptable in your area.
BTW, TDI dogs do not wear vests.
What businesses may allow is not the same as a law. LEGALLY, therapy dogs have NO public access rights. And most of us here know that TDI dogs (and most therapy org. dogs) do not wear vests, but Lin was stating that people will Slap a vest with it on the dog ANYWAY and take them out where they are not legally allowed.

eta; I think since Lin has her own service dog, she's pretty well versed on what is legal and where it's legal at.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2011, 05:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lin
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
What businesses may allow is not the same as a law. LEGALLY, therapy dogs have NO public access rights. And most of us here know that TDI dogs (and most therapy org. dogs) do not wear vests, but Lin was stating that people will Slap a vest with it on the dog ANYWAY and take them out where they are not legally allowed.

eta; I think since Lin has her own service dog, she's pretty well versed on what is legal and where it's legal at.
Yep, exactly. Therapy dogs have no public access rights or protection under the ADA the way service dogs do. SDITs have no public access rights or protection under the ADA the way service dogs do. However individual states may give SDITs public access rights.

When it comes to therapy dogs its an invited access, as the dog is never required the way a service dog is. SDs have public access because to deny them it would be discrimination, as far as the law is concerned they are medical equipment and not animals. Therapy dogs are still animals, and the distinction is especially important when it comes to places with food such as grocery stores or restaurants where bringing a pet breaks health codes. And yet people still slap SD vests, in training vests, therapy vests etc on their dogs and take them into public where they aren't allowed.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.