Who's dog has ruined their garden? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 07:30 AM
Elite Member

Mine hasn't ruined the garden but he has destroyed two plastic watering cans, He "helps" carry the cans back to the hose for refill. After he destroyed the plastic watering cans I went to Tractor Supply and bought two heavy duty plastic buckets. He still managed to bite through the side and bottom of the bucket !!!!! So now he has one bucket that he carries back to the hose (with lots of little leaks) and one I carry back to the hose. His reward is that I hold the hose nozzle way up above my head and spray the water out into the yard for him to chase.
I know, I know, this will make it hard to use the hose to water anything but he is so very happy "helping" carry the buckets and trying to catch the spray. It is a trade off I am willing to make.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief one and a half years old

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 01:03 PM
Crowned Member

We have a garden style in which they cannot do any damage; no watering, minimal weeding and the veggie garden is fenced off from wild and domestic critters.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 01:59 PM

My dog "only" dug out bulbs, specifically, onions and tulips. For some reason was very intrigue by underground smells and shapes, and that included garden and pots, everything else was safe.

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 04:38 PM

Yes, fences are the only thing that has worked for me.

Eli 7/18/05
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Polarbear 8/14/06

R.I.P. Bigguns 1/10/04 - 9/20/13
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 01:49 AM

My GSDs have dug cooling holes, holes to get at small critters, eaten my veggies until I fenced garden off, and peed on the same spots in lawn until they died. I tried to counteract brown spots with recommended lime treatment (base to balance acid), with very limited success. Filling in holes just seems to invite re-digging to find out where the hole went!

Lex, Levi, Lydia, and Lorenz 4ever! Jamin now.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 11:33 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewolfaroha View Post
Filling in holes just seems to invite re-digging to find out where the hole went!
Never thought of that one! Hope they found it.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 11:50 AM

Ugh, not waiting for summer/spring to come when I think about our (small) backyard. In late summer/autumn there were lots of brown spots and a pretty muddy trail of where the dog (puppy last year) ran everytime she went outside. Also chewed down some of my flower plants. My fiancé was not happy when I asked him if he cut the lawn and when he came back he looked at me pretty irritated and said "yeah if there would be something left to cut ". Its not that bad, but its bad, I gotta fix it

Whats the plan for me this spring and summer? Can I just grow new grass by spreading seeds? And for some couple of months, the dog goes out on short walks everytime she needs to pee? Do you let the dog pee and poop in the backyard and if so, do you do anything about the pee spot?
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 01:57 PM
Knighted Member

They haven't ruined the garden, however I have a perfect circle around my greenhouse from the fun game of Dog Chase Dog. I believe I'll brick it this summer.

Karen
Tessa ~ GSD ~ 06-08-2011
Della ~ GSD ~ 03-17-2014
Daisy ~Yorkie ~ 2007

post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldi View Post
My dog "only" dug out bulbs, specifically, onions and tulips. For some reason was very intrigue by underground smells and shapes, and that included garden and pots, everything else was safe.
Same here, she is an expert in "finding" and digging out bulbs, one day she picked all onion from our garden when left unsupervised. Great helper.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 05:40 PM
Crowned Member

So Titan has always been pretty good with the yard. Not much of a digger or chewer, or anything. The only thing he does is try to play with toys by himself by putting them on the ground, standing with his front paws on either side and then attempting to move the toy behind him... results in random "lanes" in the yard in various places. I can deal with that. Lol. Well.. his doggy buddies visit frequently and we watch them a lot also... THEY like to dig and destroy my yard. And ever since they have come and dug.. Titan likes to continue what they started... Joys of my life. When they leave he doesn't do anything, but when they are there.. man he likes to help them. *sigh*

v/r,

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan (GSD)-15 Jan 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page