German Shepherds Forum banner

graphite shepherds

14K views 52 replies 17 participants last post by  truff 
#1 ·
Hello
My name is Javier and i am an sculptor an illustrator from Spain. A few days ago i joined to your forum to share with you a GSD figure i am doing.
Some of you also ask me about drawings related to german shepherds and eventhough is included in my signature here you are a FB page that i am running where i daily draw my best friend Lia after her morning walks. At the beginning i drew her sleeping on the floor but soon the thing became more funny...
Here is the link just in case someone want to have a look and if you like it and click in the like button i will appreciate it.

www.facebook.com/graphiteshepherds

Thanks for your time

Best from Spain

Javier

See less See more
#4 ·
Hello
My name is Javier and i am an sculptor an illustrator from Spain. A few days ago i joined to your forum to share with you a GSD figure i am doing.
Some of you also ask me about drawings related to german shepherds and eventhough is included in my signature here you are a FB page that i am running where i daily draw my best friend Lia after her morning walks. At the beginning i drew her sleeping on the floor but soon the thing became more funny...
Here is the link just in case someone want to have a look and if you like it and click in the like button i will appreciate it.

www.facebook.com/graphiteshepherds

Thanks for your time

Best from Spain

Javier
Javier,

I am also an artist, and have always preferred graphite and conte crayon as my first choice, although I do love watercolor and oils as well. There are many artists who are good designers, with a good eye for composition and color, and those who are artisans with a command of their media of choice, but many of these cannot capture the soul of a living creature, be it human or animal. You, my friend, have it all. Your drawings of the beautiful Lia are charming, her personality shines through. I admire your sculptures also, something I had neither time nor opportunity to study in my youth.

I am curious... Have you ever tried studies of horses? I can only imagine your portrayal of a lovely Arabian with its gorgeous head and bearing, or the beautiful, elegant Andalusian, native to Spain. If you have not, it might be something to consider...

Kindest regards,

Susan

#5 ·
Thanks a lot Susan, i also feel very confortable with graphite and charcoal pencils.
I think that living with a dog makes your imagination fly and help a lot when you talk about capturing the soul of an animal.
The horses are another amazing animal one of the most beautiful in my opinion, but i would need to see and spend time with them to make good drawings. Unfortunatley i dont have enough room for one at home. :)

#22 ·
Perhaps you have told us, or perhaps I have read it on your website, but please bear with me--short term memory is showing its age, lol....

Throughout your art education, did you ever formally study the anatomy of dogs, or did you gain your wonderful feel and accuracy through your own observations as you worked?

#23 ·
Perhaps you have told us, or perhaps I have read it on your website, but please bear with me--short term memory is showing its age, lol....

Throughout your art education, did you ever formally study the anatomy of dogs, or did you gain your wonderful feel and accuracy through your own observations as you worked?
lol, i think i ´ve said nothing about it.
I haven´t got any art education, as far as an arts university is concerned but i´ve learned a lot from other friends who are also artist, attending to an arts and crafts school, reading technical books and internet (it´s amazing how many generous artist share their knowledge through the web)
...and as you said observation and hard work are the other tools to try to do my work better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.