The Story of 2 Dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2013, 02:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default The Story of 2 Dogs

A short story to explain why it is so important to clean your dog’s ears.

I have been fortunate to have owned 2 German Shepherd Dogs. My first “Bandit” 1994-2006 was adopted from Fidelco- an internationally recognized leader in the guide dog industry. Dogs that do not pass preliminary tests at 8 weeks of age are placed for adoption. Fidelco uses German working dog blood lines for their breeding stock so Bandit physically was a fine GSD with excellent health, hips and a sound temperament.

Around age 9 he started scratching at his ears, tilting and shaking his head quite often. I thought that his ears may be dirty ( never cleaned them before!) and made futile attempts at cleaning them now that there seemed to be a problem. He was always a gentle giant by nature; but there was no way I was going to get to clean his ears! By this time, I found, after visiting the vet, he had a severe ear infection and was in a lot of pain. This infection required ongoing vet visits for ear canal flushes, cleanings and checkups. I had to administer oral antibiotics and as well; topical antibiotics had to be applied to his ears for a period of 3 weeks. He also needed medication for the pain which caused other complications to develop. It was not a fun time and the problem recurred several more times in the years that followed. Basically it became a chronic ear infection!

Fast forward to August 2010 when I got my new buddy “Baron” from a well respected breeder here in CT. It had been 4 years since Bandit had passed on and I had done extensive research in that time on German Shepherd Dog’s diet and required grooming procedures. I had found that an improper diet can cause skin problems, ear infections and a myriad of other diseases to develop. Most commercial dog foods on the market today contain wheat, corn and other cheap ingredients used as fillers. They also contain chemicals, preservatives and additives that can contribute greatly to these diseases and infections. I started early on feeding Baron “Honest Kitchen” (Embark) which is grain free and only human grade meat products, vegetables and fruits are added. That I mixed with raw chicken, hamburger and various organ meats as well. Just recently I switched to an all raw diet thanks to Lauri at Raw Dog Ranch a great and informative website. I had also vowed to clean Baron’s ears at least twice a month to prevent wax and debris from accumulating in the first place. This I learned could go a long way in preventing ear infections! But not so fast; Baron like his predecessor Bandit did not enjoy getting his ears cleaned either! So along with my partner Carol; we set about creating an alternative product that would be a safe, easy and an enjoyable way to clean a pet’s ears. After almost 2 years of extensive research, experimentation and numerous prototypes we developed the FingEar Mini Mitt! A special Thanks goes to our test subject (Baron) who was very patient as we tested our different creations on his ears. He progressed from whining protests in the beginning to kisses when we finally got it right. Now I clean his ears every week and believe it or not he actually enjoys it! No more ear infections for us!

So keep your dogs’ healthy and feed them a proper diet. Go to www.rawdogranch.com to learn more.

And please clean your dog’s ears and prevent infections. Go to www.fingearminimitt.com to learn more.
Baronsdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Here we are at the 8th annual Dog Days of Summer Event at the Coventry CT Regional Farmers Market. As people approached our booth I started asking if they found it difficult applying drops of cleansing fluid into their dog's ears. Almost everyone, if not all of them, looked at me and started nodding their heads yes or saying "I can't even get close to my dog with a bottle of that stuff!" I explained; that is what our mitts actually do-they soak up all the fluid and as you clean the drops are naturally deposited into the ear canal. These drops loosen wax and debris that would be impossible to get to any other way! Your pet still gets the drops and they don't even know it! Thought I would pass this along to you also..........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 168.jpg (86.9 KB, 33 views)
Old 12-27-2013, 12:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

i have used 4x4 guaze and rubber gloves. i would hesitate reusing any product that has the potential to spread infection.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I just got two packs . It definitely is better then how we used to do it. I have a laundrybag to wash them in so they are only used once.Used with a cleaner our vet recommended first time I actually was able to use the stuff the way its supposed to be used.

Lucky- GSD Rescue 2/16/2002
Thunder from the East: adopted 1/25/2013
Miss Chevy Cruz - adopted 1/25/2013
Daisy&Lucky's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2014, 04:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
i have used 4x4 guaze and rubber gloves. i would hesitate reusing any product that has the potential to spread infection.
Our Mitts are comprised of almost 70% Bamboo which is known for its antibacterial and antimicrobial properties. With that in mind we still ask that purchasers wash their Mini Mitts first before using them (that is stated in the "Directions For Use" enclosed in the package). After using them they are to be washed prior to using them again! That is also stated in the Directions. Infections are caused by not cleaning your pet's ears in the first place!
Old 01-07-2014, 07:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy&Lucky's Mom View Post
I just got two packs . It definitely is better then how we used to do it. I have a laundrybag to wash them in so they are only used once.Used with a cleaner our vet recommended first time I actually was able to use the stuff the way its supposed to be used.
Daisy & Lucky's Mom, Thank you very much for the comment and purchasing our product!
Old 01-13-2014, 05:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Baron's Dad they are making er cleaning less of a trial! Thanks great idea!

Lucky- GSD Rescue 2/16/2002
Thunder from the East: adopted 1/25/2013
Miss Chevy Cruz - adopted 1/25/2013
Daisy&Lucky's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.