Are Mals allowed in monthly photo contest? - Page 8 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #71 (permalink)

I have a mixed breed heartdog and I share about him here. In fact his threads tend to get more traffic then those that are about my purebred GSD with all the titles.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 02:34 PM   #72 (permalink)
Master Member

Not really following this thread, not sure if its relevant or not or has already been posted...but I just found this looking at a mal breeder site.

AWMA • Index page

Doesn't look like the forum is nearly as active as this one, but its a mal forum. (A little OT, but I do like hearing about mals on this forum, since they are somewhat comparable to GSDs and a lot of GSD people seem to be converting...)

Havoc ~ (aka "Super") GSD - Rest easy buddy.
Keeper (rest in peace little stinker) (Aussie)

Last edited by KristiM; 02-20-2013 at 02:41 PM.
KristiM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #73 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

I am in a LOT of trouble if they aren't welcome. Even my avatar is only 1/3 PB GSD.

This is pretty straightforward I think - see if I have it.

All dog breeds are welcome, though it is a GSD site. Some problems and issues that are not breed specific may not be best answered here, but people still try to help (like our little Pom friend is posting in the flyball section/misc sports because flyball people can help) and often do help very much.

In the picture section, people post pictures. All sorts of pictures. A long time back there were people who didn't like the surprise of opening a picture thread and seeing dogs that were not GSDs in it (true!) so we used to label our threads as (Non GSD) when that occurred (I think Rocco and Rosa's thread has that annotation and still seemed to get a few hits - whoops no! I was a rebel! ). I don't see the complaints about that anymore so that seems to have passed.

And then the rule about the monthly photo contest, which Cassidy's Mom quoted above.

Right?
JeanKBBMMMAAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #74 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Let me re-iterate as people seem to jump to inaccurate conclusions and are getting their feelings hurt. ALL breeds and MIXES are welcome. Post pics, stories, ask questions, use your dog as an example on how you trained certain behaviours to help others, whether others have a GSD or another breed.

The ONLY exception is the photo CONTEST. We (ADMIN) will not be changing the rules for exceptions, because we have to draw the line somewhere. The line is GSDs only (and having other breeds/mixes in the pic WITH a GSD is already pretty flexible/generous). The winner of the monthly photo contest have their picture displayed on the Home page of the GSD forum, where it is reasonable to expect to see pictures with at least one GSD in it:
German Shepherds : German Shepherd Dog Forums

When I joined this board, I only had a mixed breed. I had no intention at the time of getting a GSD, I just wanted to share and brag about Keeta, and discuss Schutzhund. I NEVER felt un-welcome. I posted tons of stories, pics, asked questions. As for the photo-contest, well, it was a GSD board, and it's not like I was denied some fancy big money prize for not participating, LOL! I could start my own picture thread of my own dog, post as many pics as I wanted, and get pages of comments admiring her. Much better than a pic in a photocontest that maybe gets one or two votes.

Most of the mods and admins have or have had other breeds and mixes of some sort. All our dogs are beloved and special to us, just as much as the pure-bred GSDs, but respect the rules and see the bigger picture as to why they are there.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #75 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherdmom View Post
Ask Mrs. K. White GSD's don't exist. They can't be registered in the SV

But they can in the AKC, can't they?

So that makes them a GSD!

And since I am US, AKC matters!
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #76 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
Let me re-iterate as people seem to jump to inaccurate conclusions and are getting their feelings hurt. ALL breeds and MIXES are welcome. Post pics, stories, ask questions, use your dog as an example on how you trained certain behaviours to help others, whether others have a GSD or another breed.

The ONLY exception is the photo CONTEST. We (ADMIN) will not be changing the rules for exceptions, because we have to draw the line somewhere. The line is GSDs only (and having other breeds/mixes in the pic WITH a GSD is already pretty flexible/generous). The winner of the monthly photo contest have their picture displayed on the Home page of the GSD forum, where it is reasonable to expect to see pictures with at least one GSD in it:
German Shepherds : German Shepherd Dog Forums

When I joined this board, I only had a mixed breed. I had no intention at the time of getting a GSD, I just wanted to share and brag about Keeta, and discuss Schutzhund. I NEVER felt un-welcome. I posted tons of stories, pics, asked questions. As for the photo-contest, well, it was a GSD board, and it's not like I was denied some fancy big money prize for not participating, LOL! I could start my own picture thread of my own dog, post as many pics as I wanted, and get pages of comments admiring her. Much better than a pic in a photocontest that maybe gets one or two votes.

Most of the mods and admins have or have had other breeds and mixes of some sort. All our dogs are beloved and special to us, just as much as the pure-bred GSDs, but respect the rules and see the bigger picture as to why they are there.

GREAT to see the actual rules laid out so well!

Now we can move on!
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 05:15 PM   #77 (permalink)

Heck, I talked about and posted pictures of my Chinese Cresteds on this board We've had people post pictures (in the regular photo forum) of all SORTS of dogs - pure, mixed and otherwise that were not German Shepherds.

I'm not sure why people suddenly got their undies in a bundle about one simple contest rule.

The ONLY place on this board that requires pure bred German Shepherds is in the photo contest. This has been a rule since as long as I have been a member - TWELVE YEARS.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 05:18 PM   #78 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri & The Gang View Post
Heck, I talked about and posted pictures of my Chinese Cresteds on this board We've had people post pictures (in the regular photo forum) of all SORTS of dogs - pure, mixed and otherwise that were not German Shepherds.

I'm not sure why people suddenly got their undies in a bundle about one simple contest rule.

The ONLY place on this board that requires pure bred German Shepherds is in the photo contest. This has been a rule since as long as I have been a member - TWELVE YEARS.
Not only that but people posted about their Chickens, Ferrets, Horses, Sheep... etc.
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #79 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Where did anyone get the idea that other breeds aren't welcome?

This thread is 150 posts about a Boxer. Many people helped her.

The only place mixed breeds can not be posted is for the photo contest and in the Urgent/Non Urgent rescue section.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #80 (permalink)
Knighted Member

This thread is getting ridiculous.

Willy, I really like reading your posts, I enjoy seeing pictures of your dogs (yes, Jinks too!).... I think you have some great advice many times, you are always very helpful to many here... and I am sure this is not how you intended this thread to go. So please don't take this personal, this is not even personally directed at you... just the way this thread is going in general.

But come on people! This is a GSD forum. All other breeds, mix/pb, rescue/breeder, even other species are allowed on every single section except the photo contest and urgent rescues. How is that considered not "welcoming"? We answer all your questions, comment on all the pictures in "Pictures, Pictures, Pictures", and share your struggles with training and health! Just because your other breed dog can't be in a photo contest for the picture on the FRONT page of a GSD forum?! Really?!

I'm sure if you go to a Ford forum... you wont see a Dodge on the front page! Both are very similar types. Both American brands, both known for their trucks and muscle cars over the years, and BOTH cars draw the same type of crowd generally (though they do fiercely dislike each other most times). But, WHY would they put another brand on their FRONT page? That's what draws people to the site. This site is drawing in German Shepherd Dog owners.... Not Mali owners... that's not the primary reason for this forum. They are most definitely welcome, and most here have them with their GSDs... or want them. But that's not the actual point of this forum... GSDs are. That's why we are all here.... we love the breed! Whether we own them, want them, or just like them.... we come here for them.

That, in a way, is exactly what people are asking for on this thread. Makes no sense. If the front picture is going to be a Mali, then why don't we just add one to the banner... then at that point, we might as well change our name, url, and everything around the whole Forum. And then we also might want to start adding even more breeds.. because... well, just can't allow ONE different breed. Unless they make this the GSD&Mali forum.... But then... another thread like this will eventually come up... just for another similar breed. Can't win, can't make EVERYONE happy... that's impossible.

I think people, instead of getting insulted, hurt, angry, and saying some crazy things... should just step back and REALLY think about this. It's just insane. I've owned other breeds, heck... my family bred, trained, and SHOWED a whole 'nother breed growing up.. and way before me, my grandmother did the same with another breed.... I have a MILLION pictures of them... but I would never say they should be included in the photo contest for GSDs on a GSD forum. I'll share stories about them and pictures... but, I'm not going to argue them into anything that is stated GSDs only, because I am on this specific forum.

I think a wonderful idea was shared here by a few. Obviously, there are many people who want a Mali forum and can't find a good one... well... there must be some sort of internet savvy person on here that could start one. Or maybe try out Mrs.K's suggestion..... sounds like a good way to go and something new to try out. If not... then maybe find other pet photo contests through out the internet. I always see different companies running them... especially on FaceBook. Maybe try that? All breeds are welcome, and most of the time... all species are welcome!

Some of these posts are just silly. Please everyone stop bickering, and see why the Mods and owner of this forum just can't do this. Once water starts leaking, it eventually leads to a flood.
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
TrickyShepherd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.