German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Germanshepherds.com Forum Support Help Desk (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/germanshepherds-com-forum-support-help-desk/)
-   -   Closing old threads (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/germanshepherds-com-forum-support-help-desk/195956-closing-old-threads.html)

Catu 12-08-2012 04:33 PM

Closing old threads

It gets quite annoying to reply on a post and notice it's an old thread someone just resurrected. Other forums have the option to automatically close threads older than, lets say, 6 months old, or put a notice behind them recommending to open a new thread before answering that one... that would be nice. I've also seen forums where people that repeatedly reopen old threads are penalized.

Narny 12-08-2012 04:55 PM

Why penalize them?

Catu 12-08-2012 05:09 PM

Because it's not polite, like writing all in capital letters.

Stevenzachsmom 12-08-2012 05:17 PM

I notice, though, that a lot of times it's a newbie that opens an old thread. The person probably is new to forums in general and doesn't realize that it is better to start a new thread. It's the same with people who suddenly chime in with "their" problem, concern, etc. on an existing thread, instead of starting their own. I think a gentle reminder to start a new thread would be more beneficial. It really doesn't bother me that much that this happens.

DharmasMom 12-08-2012 05:26 PM

At the same time, asking people to start new threads on things like "puppy biting" is really a pain around here. We can have 5 threads a day on that so if someone wants to bump an old thread for that- go for it.

Plus I don't really care when people bump old threads, personally. Sometimes I have found something I missed the first time around and end up getting good info. Just MHO, though

Narny 12-08-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevenzachsmom (Post 2650523)
I notice, though, that a lot of times it's a newbie that opens an old thread. The person probably is new to forums in general and doesn't realize that it is better to start a new thread. It's the same with people who suddenly chime in with "their" problem, concern, etc. on an existing thread, instead of starting their own. I think a gentle reminder to start a new thread would be more beneficial. It really doesn't bother me that much that this happens.

ditto

onyx'girl 12-08-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DharmasMom (Post 2650534)
At the same time, asking people to start new threads on things like "puppy biting" is really a pain around here. We can have 5 threads a day on that so if someone wants to bump an old thread for that- go for it.

Plus I don't really care when people bump old threads, personally. Sometimes I have found something I missed the first time around and end up getting good info. Just MHO, though

I agree with this. And sometimes reading an old thread will bring back memories! good or bad :laugh:
As long as they are bumping it up for legitimate reasons I don't see a problem. But now and then people don't look at the dates and will offer advice on a whelping question or something that is very timely..when in fact it was 6 months previous that the litter was born!

Jax08 12-08-2012 06:21 PM

I agree Jane. Some of these old threads are relevant regardless of age.

Kyleigh 12-08-2012 06:26 PM

I like it when I see the old threads come up, especially, like others have already said when it's the same issue - puppy biting ... that seems to be the most common!

I do look at the dates, one of the "first" things I check, but I'm anal that way!

Sunflowers 12-08-2012 06:47 PM

Well, I replied to a 3 year old thread because I like the OP and her dog, and I am catching up on things I missed before I joined.
No one had a problem with it, and it was fun to get an update with photos from the OP