Member types/definitions? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Member types/definitions?

What do the different member types mean? (Elite, Crowned, Master, etc)

Joining the forum gets you a "Member" below your name. Are there different levels of membership for which one pays?

Part of it's curiosity. Part of it (sorry) is that I've noticed there's sometimes more leeway allowed if you're more than a "Member". IMO - a few of the titled members get downright rude or nasty in their posts. Kind of disheartening when a newbie like me comes here to try to learn, ask a question, or solve a problem.
Olivers mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Number of posts. It has nothing to do with experience, knowledge or personality. It's all about how many posts you've made. I have a high count...but the majority of mine came from when the rescue section was active from bumping up dogs and posting them.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Member types are automatic, and based on the number of posts. There used to be a listing somewhere (there may still be, I just don't know where) of how many posts each level kicked in at.

Nobody should be getting more leeway than anyone else. If you see a post where you believe someone has broken board rules, please use the notification button (below your username and avatar) to bring it to the attention of the moderator of that forum. We are all volunteers and can't possibly read every post in every thread, even in our own forums, so we rely on the members to alert us to potential problems.

People sometimes assume that because a post remains on the board, that we are deliberately looking the other way or allowing someone to get away with stuff because they have a lot of posts. Often, we just haven't seen it.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivers mama View Post
What do the different member types mean? (Elite, Crowned, Master, etc)

Joining the forum gets you a "Member" below your name. Are there different levels of membership for which one pays?

Part of it's curiosity. Part of it (sorry) is that I've noticed there's sometimes more leeway allowed if you're more than a "Member". IMO - a few of the titled members get downright rude or nasty in their posts. Kind of disheartening when a newbie like me comes here to try to learn, ask a question, or solve a problem.
The MODs just haven't seen it (: I, for example, am held to the same standards as a "New Member." I just have more posts on here, because I've been on the forum longer Like Debbie said, they depend on everyone reporting that kind of behavior.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
People sometimes assume that because a post remains on the board, that we are deliberately looking the other way or allowing someone to get away with stuff because they have a lot of posts. Often, we just haven't seen it.
Isn't that the truth! Remember, if you see a rule is possibly being broken, there are these buttons to the left of each and every post on this board:

And when you hit one it will notify all the moderators for that forum. Though still keep in mind, we all have lives and are not on the computer 100% of the time so it still may take a bit for a response.

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Well DUH Becky --- Good Lord, if I looked long enough, I would've noticed the number of posts.... sorry...

As far as "reporting" - nope, not me! Besides, what I interpret as a snotty remark may very well be fine with others. Might just be me. A tattletale, I'm not. (Just a brat!)

I've got so many questions about our dog, but sometimes am hesitant to ask. I really wish someone else had the same problems & would post, so I could learn from them!

Thanks a bunch or the info.
Olivers mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You should never be hesitant to ask a question, just be prepared for a variety of different answers and opinions... and don't be too concerned if a fight breaks out between other members, as there are some hot-button issues, but that isn't your problem.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
You should never be hesitant to ask a question, just be prepared for a variety of different answers and opinions... and don't be too concerned if a fight breaks out between other members, as there are some hot-button issues, but that isn't your problem.
EXACTLY, the more you read on the board, the more members you'll recognize and start relying more on their suggestions. And other members you'll see just seem to post to cause DRAMA!

I read it all, go with the stuff that seems to make the most sense, and go into it all knowing I want to help my dog and not take stuff too personally.

Also, it's not tattling to report a thread. It's a huge help to keep this board running smoothly and membership getting help (not attacked).

Generally, try to go thru the board and topics but really read thru anything that's a sticky. Those are sticky's because they are the topics that come up over and over and with the tips/suggestions that seem to help the most. But if you can't find your question just post anyways, and sit back and wait for replies!

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 04:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
Though still keep in mind, we all have lives and are not on the computer 100% of the time so it still may take a bit for a response.
You're not?! That's no fun!
Nikki (Polydactyl kitty) 6/15/07

~ Chasing your tail gets you nowhere ... 'cept back to where you started ~
http://www.youtube.com/GSDGunner
GSDGunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Well, I used to feel like you about reporting a rude post. I still kind of hesitate. But I get in trouble if I stick up for someone else. And, it generally gets a war going back and forth and nasty feelings on all sides. So it is really better to just notify.

The mods will not always do the same thing. Sometimes they will read it and give a general warning to keep things nice. Sometimes they edit posts. Sometimes they warn people. Sometimes they do all three. And I suppose more often than not they just keep an eye on the thread to ensure it doesn't get any worse because what was said wasn't over the line to personal attacks or inciting to riot.

I think that people who have been around longer, or have a higher post count, pretty much have a better idea where the line is, they may go over, or they may stretch the line a bit, but they are less likely to get trounced because they can usually stay in the OK column -- unless it is late at night and you are talking to someone who isn't making much sense at all, and you don't have the sense to just close up and go home.

I think some topics are going to have more emotion involved in them. Whether to breed your dog, training, and others. People are passionate about GSDs, and they really, REALLY do not like to hear about dogs that are, in their opinion being mistreated. Without passion this site would be terribly lacking. But passion will lead to people crossing or really getting close to that line. Newbies often aren't as good at knowing how to respond to hard questions and what actually feels like an attack but is actually just asked in the better interests of the dogs in question or the breed.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.