Member types/definitions? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
Scarlettsmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chesapeake, VA...but longing for CO
Posts: 1,441
Default

I have only ever reported spam. As for the fights...I usually back away slowly...
__________________
Scarlett WGSD 2/07 CGC TDI(retired)
Paige Husky/GSD mix 2/95-12/08

If you are going through hades, keep going!
Scarlettsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Olivers mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 455
Default

Most of the time, I'll back away from the fights. Sometimes, my Big Mouth gets the best of me & I'll respond in kind. better, tho, to back away & try to find the answer in a different place.

The sticky notes are great for the general stuff, but don't necessarily answer specifics.

Or maybe I just need a 'whiney place' for those days when nothing goes right with this big rescue...
Olivers mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 08:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Freestep's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern California
Posts: 6,117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivers mama View Post
Or maybe I just need a 'whiney place' for those days when nothing goes right with this big rescue...
We have a "chat room" forum where a lot of people post all kinds of things, and a "braggs"(sic) forum for announcing accomplishments, maybe we should have a "whiney place" forum for our ventings too.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator
 
Cassidy's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 29,209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivers mama View Post
As far as "reporting" - nope, not me! Besides, what I interpret as a snotty remark may very well be fine with others. Might just be me. A tattletale, I'm not. (Just a brat!)
I wish people wouldn't look at it this way. You wouldn't be a tattletale, you'd be helping us do our jobs, and we truly appreciate that since we are not all-knowing and all-seeing!

Keep in mind that just because we get a notification that doesn't mean that we will always take action. If it's a clear violation we will step in, but sometimes it's a judgement call, and we'll discuss it among ourselves to get a consensus or at least some feedback and another perspective.

So if someone is being snotty towards someone in a way that violates board rules we can make that go away, which makes this board a better experience for everyone. (Don't we all want that?!?!) And if we think a post skirts the line but doesn't quite cross over, we do nothing. No harm, no foul, and nobody will ever know there was a notification or who it came from.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 08:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Freestep's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern California
Posts: 6,117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
So if someone is being snotty towards someone in a way that violates board rules we can make that go away, which makes this board a better experience for everyone. (Don't we all want that?!?!) And if we think a post skirts the line but doesn't quite cross over, we do nothing. No harm, no foul, and nobody will ever know there was a notification or who it came from.
I "tattle" on people all the time. Whether it's spam, offering stud service or puppies for sale, or people spouting off on personal attacks, I figure it won't hurt anything to click the little exclaimation point just to say "Hey, Moderator, take a look at this and see what you think." Then it's up to them to make the call.

Personally, having been a moderator before (on another board), I really appreciated it when people would alert me to things, as I could never read every single post. The only time it gets annoying is when the same person reports post after post after post simply because he/she doesn't like what someone else is saying, or disagrees with it.

There's a difference between a post that is disagreeable/controversial, and a post that contains a personal attack. Basically, the rule of thumb when posting is "attack ideas, not people".
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 10:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
selzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Denmark, Ohio
Posts: 25,309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
I wish people wouldn't look at it this way. You wouldn't be a tattletale, you'd be helping us do our jobs, and we truly appreciate that since we are not all-knowing and all-seeing!

Keep in mind that just because we get a notification that doesn't mean that we will always take action. If it's a clear violation we will step in, but sometimes it's a judgement call, and we'll discuss it among ourselves to get a consensus or at least some feedback and another perspective.

So if someone is being snotty towards someone in a way that violates board rules we can make that go away, which makes this board a better experience for everyone. (Don't we all want that?!?!) And if we think a post skirts the line but doesn't quite cross over, we do nothing. No harm, no foul, and nobody will ever know there was a notification or who it came from.
Darn! It is so much better to think of the omnipotent, omniscient moderators will protect the site from the spammers and the haters, and the gangs of newbie head hunters.

So you all really don't have filters that flag any posts with words in them like, republican, democrat, abortion, liberal, conservative, I-want-to-breed-my-nine-month-old-puppy, and pure-bread-German-Shepard-wants-little-lady-friend.

Bummer.
__________________
Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:25 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com