Paragraphs (or lack thereof?) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2012, 10:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Paragraphs (or lack thereof?)

Sometimes when I post in this forum everything acts perfectly normal._ _ I hit return an text goes to the next line, just as I expect._ _ But SOMETIMES when I post, all the returns get removed when I post and my comments become one giant block of text._ _ WHAT IS GOING ON? It drives me batty!_ _ Is there some software rule governing this? If I understood the rule I could work around it. Meanwhile, half the time I have to put my text in [html ] tags and use < br > to insert carriage returns._ _ Help from a mod?_ _ _(Note - everywhere you see an underscore I hit return but that was deleted.)
JaimeZX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If you put your text within an html block and hit return without adding a <br /> tag, then the newline will not (usually) be honored.

I hit enter twice to get to this line.

[EDIT]- there isn't any reason to put text in an html block under normal circumstances, btw. Though perhaps you know that and the html block was just your workaround for the odd carriage return issue.

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang CA - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yes. I only used the [html ] so I could force the line breaks because the forum doesn't seem to honor them otherwise. *dunno*
Old 08-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I do not know.

I have never had a problem but I always do hit enter twice for the whitespace.

No html stuff or anything like that just typing in the text box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):
, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955

That's weird. I've never had a problem like that with any forum. And do we date ourselves by talking about carriage returns rather than hard returns?
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
paulag1955 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
And do we date ourselves by talking about carriage returns rather than hard returns?
I hope not because I'm not old enough to have ever used a typewriter! I do recall (maybe) using something like CR+LF in high school when writing programs from my graphing calculator. I don't recall if it understood a \r\n or not.

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang CA - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

OK I am going to try with one break behind the word it each time
This is it.
This is it.
This is it.
This is it.

Mmmmm....well all I did was hit the enter key like I always do.......

FWIW, I learned to type in 1968 on an Underwood 5 Manual Typrewriter. It was a time when all girls took typing, sewing, and cooking, and all the boys took shop and mechanics. [though we did have a boy in our cooking class which was strange for the time but we all loved him]

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):
, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles

Last edited by jocoyn; 08-07-2012 at 10:53 AM.
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Only time I have issues is when I copy and past something I wrote elsewhere so I can spell check and then copy and past back to the board. Then the spaces have been removed. I have to go put them back in. If I post normally then I don't have those issues.

LOL Nancy you are dating yourself. I also learned to type on an old manual typewriter. My father actually sold Royal typewriters in the early 60's.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Another test_
Another test_
Another test_
Another test_

Hm. I may have figured it out.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
Only time I have issues is when I copy and past something I wrote elsewhere so I can spell check and then copy and past back to the board. Then the spaces have been removed. I have to go put them back in. If I post normally then I don't have those issues.
Same here. This forum, and every other forum I've been to with this format, always puts spaces and line breaks in where I want them without any need for fancy html.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.