Suggestion - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2012, 11:11 AM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
I am on other forums that use this format, and they have "like" buttons. I personally like it because sometimes I will really like or agree with a post, yet have nothing to add... it would cut down on bandwidth.
This.

Plus I think it's equally '"lazy" if all I do is quote and reply with "This" or "Agreed".
GatorDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2012, 11:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

We'll discuss it among the mods and admins - similar suggestions about giving people popularity points have been made in the past, but we decided not to implement due to a number of reasons.

Not sure if the software would support a like feature - we'll get back to you on this.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 11:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDog View Post
Plus I think it's equally '"lazy" if all I do is quote and reply with "This" or "Agreed".
Agreed!
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 11:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Well, I did specifically state that Facebook almost certainly has a patent on the like button. I didn't say they absolutely did have such a patent. Regardless, I wasn't wrong.

This is a fun read!
Facebook Patents Big Brother

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 11:47 AM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via MSN to GSDolch

as I ETA before, they have dibs to the BUTTON, the way that it looks, not the feature itself. That is an interesting read, but has nothing to do with other site using a like feature (which is what is in question here, someone wanting a like "button"/feature. ETA: I am talking about pages and websites that have "like" features that do not link to FB. That site talks websites that link back to FB to show up and show you're friends on your feed what you are reading/liking. (which they do control) vs a general like feature that doesn't link back to FB (that they do not control)

Castle, on one of the sites I visit that have both the like and the rep feature have it all anonymous. People can see how many people like the post but not who likes it. Don't know if that would help or not.

Last edited by GSDolch; 07-31-2012 at 11:51 AM.
GSDolch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

After discussing it with the other Mods/Admin, we decided not to pursue this. Not sure if the software would support it or not, but at any rate, a concern is that it will turn into a popularity contest and won't have anything to do with the content of individual posts.

I appreciate that people want to be able to show their appreciation to others - love the positive energy that this brings to the board. I think that a few words of support here and there goes a long way to show that you "Like" and keep discussions going, so we'll stick with that.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildo View Post
No we don't need a 'Like' button; that's what words are for. Like buttons stifle communication and breed laziness. Not to mention, Facebook almost certainly has a patent on it disallowing such use on other sites. If you like someone's post, why not join in the conversation and express your own point of view and how it aligns with someone else?
Not true - my horse forum just recently added a LIKE button - and I usually like the post and add to also
bjbryant73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
We'll discuss it among the mods and admins - similar suggestions about giving people popularity points have been made in the past, but we decided not to implement due to a number of reasons.

Not sure if the software would support a like feature - we'll get back to you on this.
I guess if you all decide against - then I guess it's going to with me!!
bjbryant73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.