Thread closed because of a spammer? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Thread closed because of a spammer?

Yeast Infection (2 yo thread bumped by spammer - closed)

I don't understand. Why would the thread be closed? Why not just remove the spammer and leave it open? I've never seen a thread title changed in this manner either. The only recent posts I see are from GatorBytes, so either you're saying they are the spammers, or the spammers have been deleted. Just curious as to why this happened.
Nikki (Polydactyl kitty) 6/15/07

~ I reject your reality and substitute my own ~ Adam Savage
http://www.youtube.com/GSDGunner
GSDGunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Old threads bumped up and getting a new life can be a problem at times for a number of reasons.

If the subject is of interest, why not start a new thread to continue on the conversation?

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

That wasn't the only thread closed today for a strange reason.
Neutering or not?

I really don't get this one^^^ Someone asked valid questions, was told to go do research, and their thread was closed. That's weird. People ask the same questions on here quite often. This is the first one I've seen closed due to lack of searching...

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2012, 07:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildo View Post
That wasn't the only thread closed today for a strange reason.
Neutering or not?

I really don't get this one^^^ Someone asked valid questions, was told to go do research, and their thread was closed. That's weird. People ask the same questions on here quite often. This is the first one I've seen closed due to lack of searching...
Of course if you search and bring up an old thread, it could be closed for being old. Could cause problems ya know.
Jack's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
Old threads bumped up and getting a new life can be a problem at times for a number of reasons.

If the subject is of interest, why not start a new thread to continue on the conversation?
No, it's not of interest. I have just never seen a thread closed because it got spammed and was curious as to why this one was.

Would you mind elaborating on those reasons and the problems an old thread could cause? Just curious.
Nikki (Polydactyl kitty) 6/15/07

~ I reject your reality and substitute my own ~ Adam Savage
http://www.youtube.com/GSDGunner

Last edited by GSDGunner; 07-26-2012 at 07:50 PM.
GSDGunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2012, 08:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDGunner View Post
No, it's not of interest. I have just never seen a thread closed because it got spammed and was curious as to why this one was.

Would you mind elaborating on those reasons and the problems an old thread could cause? Just curious.
We had in the past had periods were a rash of spammers bumped up a bunch of old threads. Many people see the latest post in the active topics listing and continue on with the discussion. Not realizing it was that old, they might go back and read some previous posts, ask questions, then get upset and frustrated at not getting an answer, as the original participants in the thread are long gone.

It was getting really bad at one point.

Quote:
Of course if you search and bring up an old thread, it could be closed for being old. Could cause problems ya know.
Ha!! You're on to us!!

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Some forums automatically trim old posts for that very reason, so all posts disappear after 18 months or so. In a way it's frustrating, but I can see the point in doing it. It really annoys me when a spammer brings up a post that's years old...
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

I closed both of those.

For the neutering one - there are so many threads that they could read that have the same information - I said to contact me once they had done that and I could reopen the thread so they could discuss it on their own thread. Realistically does every person on this forum need their very own spay or neuter thread?

For the old thread that was bumped up by a spammer - that was 2 years old - there was no need to start posting on 2 year old issues for things that were no longer being addressed and the posts on that thread can still be read. What is the point in trying to help a problem that is from 2 years ago that if it were still continuing - there would either be updates or new threads for? And if anyone finds it, they can read it and then start a new thread.

It's not necessarily that there will be problems, but the board used to be very clean and organized and now, while it's like shoveling against the tide, if there are things I can see that will manage certain sections (health in particular) to make them make more sense, I will clean it up.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanKBBMMMAAN View Post
Realistically does every person on this forum need their very own spay or neuter thread?
Nope- not at all. It's just the first time I saw it happen, so it struck me as odd.

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Yeah, I did it the way I did so it can be re-opened once they've read everything that everyone says over and over and over. I think there is value to reviewing information when asking your questions.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.