Thread closed because of a spammer? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Hey all!

When I commented on that thread, it was because it was #4 or something on the main page of Health issues as a recent post (same day or day before)...I didn't go deep into pages/archives and pull it out to comment on... I just thought it got pushed back because of "New Posts" when I was looking for a follow up post regarding an issue from a few days ago. I saw the thread and commented on it..

I didn't notice the thread was two years old until it was closed re: spammer....

What the heck is a spammer anyhow? How does a 2 year old thread remain open? or is it closed and spammer able to open? is it malicious? Should we be concerned with hackers?
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
Hey all!
I didn't notice the thread was two years old until it was closed re: spammer....

What the heck is a spammer anyhow? How does a 2 year old thread remain open? or is it closed and spammer able to open? is it malicious? Should we be concerned with hackers?
Course you didn't notice, I do what you do, just hang in the 'Recent Topics' and post when they catch my eye. Never checking the date.

It's not my fault if I post, but problem is that the OP and ISSUE is way way old so not going to be pertinent to them.

As a Mod/Admin, we do NOT just close all threads as they age. NO WAY on this active board to we have time to go thru and individually do that.

Spammers seem to sometimes target these old threads and when they join the board use them to advertise (against our forum rules). As soon as anyone posts here, it comes up to the top of the 'Today's Post's' and suddenly we are wasting time trying to help someone with a issue/problem who no longer needs the help at all.

The spamming won't harm you or your computer, just mucks up THIS board with forbidden advertising. And that we do have to address.

If what you posted is a pearl of wisdom and should be discussed, that's fantastic too! Just go into the post we closed, copy/paste your 'pearls' into a new post and off everyone can go!
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

So was the "spam" removed from that thread? I thought that the admin was labeling GatorBytes as the spammer. That's the way the thread now looks anyway.

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 11:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

I guess you guys can't see where the deleted post is? I can see it on my screen - spam, posted deleted by JeanKBB...etc.

I am going to post below and then delete it - can you see it? Not the best test, but I am not going to delete my account for a test.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildo View Post
So was the "spam" removed from that thread? I thought that the admin was labeling GatorBytes as the spammer. That's the way the thread now looks anyway.
NOT ME!!!

This is exactly how it happened...

I looked in new posts, saw most of topics earlier weren't there, went to health, and the most recent posts (ones that had been in "new posts") were there along with the old one I commented on (that I didn't see as old). I check the dates, I may have seen it incorrectly, but it was approx. # 4 or 5 down the list after the 'push pin' threads (which have dates all over the place)...I'm sure it said "today" under date posted

I am not a spammer and have nothing to sell.

I'm still trying to figure out how to post my own thread so I can address my dogs symptoms and health concerns...
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
Old 07-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Jean- NO, I don't see any post showing "deleted by..." Not here or in that thread.

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #17 (permalink)

It is JMHO that the moderators here are a little too quick to hit the "lock" button rather than just deleting the offending posts. A lot of old threads are still of interest. I haven't entirely given up on this site but after having two threads locked down I've been posting more on a different dog forum.
JojoTobyMax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 12:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
I'm still trying to figure out how to post my own thread so I can address my dogs symptoms and health concerns...
All you have to do is go to the section you want to post in and click "new thread". Enter a title and post away.
Nikki (Polydactyl kitty) 6/15/07

~ Chasing your tail gets you nowhere ... 'cept back to where you started ~
http://www.youtube.com/GSDGunner
GSDGunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #19 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildo View Post
Jean- NO, I don't see any post showing "deleted by..." Not here or in that thread.

Okay, that explains a lot then!

We admin/mod can see that a spammer has been there - you cannot. So you/anyone could not see the spammer scat in that thread.

If I do that I will try to figure out how to leave some of those droppings behind for people to see, though I am not sure if it will work...but I will try!
Old 07-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #20 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDGunner View Post
All you have to do is go to the section you want to post in and click "new thread". Enter a title and post away.
mucho, grass-cee-ous (spell check? ah ha!)
thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.