"Clingy" dogs. Genetic or learned behaviour? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2008, 12:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default "Clingy" dogs. Genetic or learned behaviour?

The post asking if GSDs are "clingy" got me to thinking:

Are they "clingy" or velcro dogs because they are gentically "programed" that way, OR is it more learned behaviour?

The reason I ask if it is "learned" behaviour is because there are a LOT of folks that get a pupy and REQUIRE that pup to always be in the same room as the owner. Human gets off the couch and goes into the kitchen or bathroom and MAKES the pup come with them so that it's not getting into trouble when left alone in another room.
Pretty soom the pup learns that it is to follow the owner when ever they leave the room.

Personally I think it is both. Granted most pups will want to know where you are 24/7, but making them follow you reinforces this.

It also seems that as they age they become less clingy. Is it because they get lazy as they get older or do they FINALLY figure out that the bathroom does NOT have an "escape hatch" and you WILL exit via the same door you entered?

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
BlackGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2008, 12:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Default Re: "Clingy" dogs. Genetic or learned behaviour?

The GSD breed as a whole is pretty much genetically programed to develop a close relationship with the owner and work closely with the owner. This is the way they were designed. They are not an independent breed by nature.

Some people consider this to be "clingy", and indeed in some dogs the behavior is more pronounced, in which case it usually stems from a lack of self confidence. But in most it's not that they need to be with people out of a need for security, it's that they naturally *want* to be with people and interacting with people. Of course, as with most things the behavior can be enhanced or inhibited through environment, but the fundamentals are there in the dogs genetically.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chris Wild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2008, 12:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: BlackGSDdo they FINALLY figure out that the bathroom does NOT have an "escape hatch" and you WILL exit via the same door you entered?
LoL.

I too, think it is a mix of both. It is in their genes to be loyal and protective of their owners, and im sure it has a lot to do with having the pup follow you and making sure that you are the most important thing in their life.

Both of my gsd's are velcro dogs, as soon as i flinch to move they are up under my feet wondering where were going. Bear actually whines when i go into the bathroom and he scratches at the door. Mya is more of the at my feet dog. She lays on or around my feet all day.

Mya - 3 year old GSD
Bear - 1 year old GSD
Abby - 3 year old ACD/shep mix
Teddy - 2 year old amer. pit bull

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does." - Christopher Morley
tibvixie101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2008, 12:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I vote genetic if they act clingy when they aren't working. I got Roxie who was a working kennel dog that I turned into a housedog. She must always be in physical contact with me and if she can't she'll find some of my clothes to lay on. Her daughter Erika will Velcro it Obedience excercises but not nearly the "snuggle bunnie" her mother is

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GunnerJones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2008, 12:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

I would have to agree that it is genes. Tessa needs - wants to know where I am at all times. My DH can leave the room and she'll make no move to follow - barely acknowledges that he is leaving. Me on the other hand, the minute my feet hit floor, her head is up and she is fully alert!

I think this is a good thing - especially when training and working her. She is very much aware of where I am - even in a long down.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I must say, I believe one of the benefits or my "fur kids" getting older(Female GSD will be 10yo in May, male "heeler" will be 9 in September) is that I can now go to the bathroom without an audience(sp).

The GS generally likes to be in the same room but it takes her longer to decide it is necessary to change rooms. If I leave the room and I am only gone for a few minutes, she stays put. If I am gone longer than that she changes rooms. Though she will at times stay in the kitchen or go to the kitchen from the living room if she gets too hot. But she lays in the door way so she can see me.

This is all about to change though as I am getting a pup the end of March.

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
BlackGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2008, 04:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't have a GSD, but all my dogs are clingy and I have never made them follow me around. I'm inclined to believe it's genetic and common in the herding breeds.
BlackPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2008, 04:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

My dog is very clingy, but I don't say that in a negative way. She's a German Shepherd. If I wanted an independent breed, I would have picked something else. She does lack some nerves and confidence, but we're working on that. I always ask my husband what she does during the day and he says besides him taking her out to potty once or twice and taking her on a jog, she stays under the table (the rug under our kitchen table is like her nest). When I come home, she is all excited, ready to work! She never leaves my side. Even if I'm just crossing the SAME room she has to get up from her sleep and follow. If she leaves the room, then I know something is up.

I don't know if it's genetics or what. I got her when she was three. Below is her pedigree. I rather like her "clinginess". I've never even had to work on recalls, leave its, etc. She is very serious about training and wants only to be with me. Perfect.

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/...ee/401054.html
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2008, 04:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

I think it is both, I also think the Rescue dogs may end up being more clingy. I have had that experience, my girl wants to know where I am at all times and will follow from room to room.....but my last GS was a rescue and she was glued to my side and cried if I closed her out of a room. Ava just throws herself down on the otherside (I hear her huff, she is usually disgusted with me for being so rude as to shut the door).

Ava GSD 3.5yrs

Champ 1985, Heidi 2000

StGeorgeK9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2008, 05:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I guess it depends on what you mean by clingy. The dog that just wants to be with you or the dog that won't leave your side because it is insecure. Both are genetic, but one is typical of the breed and the other is related to a weakness of nerves.

Quote:
Quote:The GSD breed as a whole is pretty much genetically programed to develop a close relationship with the owner and work closely with the owner. This is the way they were designed. They are not an independent breed by nature.
If you talk to the old shepherds about their dogs you will find this is not true. These dogs were bred to work with their handler, but also on their own. They were/are suppose to be able to think and do their jobs even without their handler being there. Yes they are biddable. Yes they work for their handler, but they also work very independently. One of the complaints I have heard is that many of the modern day herding GSD have lost this ability to work on their own. If their handlers turned their backs the dogs would not be able to continue with their jobs. They need the shepherd to be constantly telling them what to do.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.