Working line mixed with show line?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2014, 10:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question Working line mixed with show line??

Hello Iīve posted about my two black and tan, whose first litter was born, and, to my surprise, they were 2 sables, 3 solid black, and 3 black&tan. Of course everybody said, like I thought, some other dog was involved, even if Iīm sure that didnīt happened.

Iīm not a breeder, just a GSD owner, and they are not supposed to breed, because of cosanguinity, and I was told when I bought them, because the father of the dam is the granpa of the sire. It didnīt matter to me, since Iīm not selling pups.

Well, as it was a mistery to me, I kept searching for information about how could that be possible. I started wandering whether some line work GSD was introduced in the bloodline of one of them and they donīt resemble it, but passed on to their pups, I think specially the dam, wich has a very "squared shape" and light tan hair beneath her black saddle. I would like to have your opinion about these articles bellow, that could explain how genetics is not a 2+2:4 science, and if anyone had a similar experience.

You can check my album to see the pictures of the dam, the sire and the litter.

VetGen: Veterinary Genetic Services - Canine - List of Services - Coat Color

Solving the Mystery of Crop Out Black and Tan Puppies | Color Genetics

Thanks in advance,
Natalia
nataliaalvarez2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

2+2 = 3
Old 08-05-2014, 02:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

oh no .

you have two black and tan show line dogs . They should produce black and tan pups .

no chance that this may solve the mystery quote OP "
". A crop out black and tan is a dog that is born with the black and tan coloring in a breed that does not normally have black and tan coloring. "

--- because black and tan is very normal to the breed .

Black and tan would not be the mystery as this is what you would expect .

The odd colours are the "sable" and the "solid black" .

Neither parent is sable . Sable is a dominant gene , not recessive , meaning one of , or both , of the parents need to be sable. Your dogs don't fit into this.
To be solid black from this combination- because there is some investigation into a "dominant" black gene -- well I would place a higher expectation on winning the lottery .
Count that out .

To this , a big NO.
"I started wandering whether some line work GSD was introduced in the bloodline of one of them and they donīt resemble it, but passed on to their pups, I think specially the dam, wich has a very "squared shape" and light tan hair beneath her black saddle."

Even if she had a working line ancestor , and even if he/she were sable , it does not matter . YOUR female is black and tan . Remember sable is a dominant gene , so any recessive or far-back speculation has no meaning.

Your female is black and tan and could stand stronger pigmentation .

That she is squared off does not mean she has working bloodlines . It means that this is her conformation . Period .
Nature requires effort to play in the extremes . Left to their own devices nature reverts to some middle.
Her background hasn't been driven by attempts to fit some show line requirement , just-a-dog . That isn't a bad thing.

About the consanguinity --- you had an accidental breeding . This is not scary tight inbreeding , rather more common linebreeding . So that would not be a deterent to getting the dogs out and placed in HOMES

quote " because of cosanguinity, and I was told when I bought them, because the father of the dam is the granpa of the sire. It didnīt matter to me, since Iīm not selling pups."
(2 - 3 breeding?)

If I understand your comment about not selling the pups -- you CAN'T keep 8 pups on top of the two you have.

Get the DNA done to ascertain the sire .

Carmspack

Last edited by carmspack; 08-05-2014 at 02:55 PM.
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2014, 03:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

There is the possibility that one or both your dogs are patterned sables - the pics you have posted previously did not show their coloring off well. If you have two patterned sables, you could have sables and solid blacks in the litter. But if that is the case, then the pedigree you have for the parents is false, as the pedigree is pure Black and tan, and you could ONLY have black and tan pups from those genetics.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2014, 04:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Get the DNA test done for color on both yours and the recessive black gene. If the result has one showing up as a sable and both with recessive black, then - and ONLY THEN - is it possible that your dogs are the parents of every single pup.

This is NOT rocket science. Basic color genetics in the GSD is pretty cut and dried. No surprises, no new discoveries. Sable is dominant, black must be expressed or carried by both parents to produce blacks.

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2014, 04:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Post a good picture of the mother and father again .
Standing .
One per shot , and one with the two together.

you can get the DNA done for each dogs colour -- and you should get DNA done for paternity.

mother- baby ! father ? - maybe !

an old rhyme

Carmspack
Old 08-06-2014, 08:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
oh no .

you have two black and tan show line dogs . They should produce black and tan pups .

no chance that this may solve the mystery quote OP "
". A crop out black and tan is a dog that is born with the black and tan coloring in a breed that does not normally have black and tan coloring. "

--- because black and tan is very normal to the breed .

Black and tan would not be the mystery as this is what you would expect .

The odd colours are the "sable" and the "solid black" .

Neither parent is sable . Sable is a dominant gene , not recessive , meaning one of , or both , of the parents need to be sable. Your dogs don't fit into this.
To be solid black from this combination- because there is some investigation into a "dominant" black gene -- well I would place a higher expectation on winning the lottery .
Count that out .

To this , a big NO.
"I started wandering whether some line work GSD was introduced in the bloodline of one of them and they donīt resemble it, but passed on to their pups, I think specially the dam, wich has a very "squared shape" and light tan hair beneath her black saddle."

Even if she had a working line ancestor , and even if he/she were sable , it does not matter . YOUR female is black and tan . Remember sable is a dominant gene , so any recessive or far-back speculation has no meaning.

Your female is black and tan and could stand stronger pigmentation .

That she is squared off does not mean she has working bloodlines . It means that this is her conformation . Period .
Nature requires effort to play in the extremes . Left to their own devices nature reverts to some middle.
Her background hasn't been driven by attempts to fit some show line requirement , just-a-dog . That isn't a bad thing.

About the consanguinity --- you had an accidental breeding . This is not scary tight inbreeding , rather more common linebreeding . So that would not be a deterent to getting the dogs out and placed in HOMES

quote " because of cosanguinity, and I was told when I bought them, because the father of the dam is the granpa of the sire. It didnīt matter to me, since Iīm not selling pups."
(2 - 3 breeding?)

If I understand your comment about not selling the pups -- you CAN'T keep 8 pups on top of the two you have.

Get the DNA done to ascertain the sire .
Hi Carmen,
No way Iīm keeping all these pups, I already gave them away, just kept one for myself. How can I tell whether my bitch is or not a patterned sable? I canīt DNA the pups, I never heardof that service around here, in Argentina.

Iīll know next time they have pups, Iīll make sure to lock her up to avoid any other dog, even if, like I told you before, my backyard is already quite safe like it is now.

Iīm uploading a picture of the strange color beneath her saddle for you to tell me if itīs normal for a dog like her, since my male dog doesnīt have that.

Sorry about my english!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Working line mixed with show line??-100_6103.jpg   Working line mixed with show line??-100_6106.jpg  
Old 08-06-2014, 08:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

post a pedigree for the dogs .

post a picture of full body , show the side

that looks like undercoat

Carmspack
Old 08-06-2014, 09:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

Annie Von der Cort
Old 08-06-2014, 09:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

Hereīre some pics, itīll try to find more.
Attached Thumbnails
Working line mixed with show line??-100_5924.jpg   Working line mixed with show line??-100_6008.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.