Coat colour - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2014, 01:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
P71

Default Coat colour

I have a 4 month old GSD Dutch cross. I am kind of curious about his genetics.

His mother is a typical Dutchie... short brindle coat. His father is a typical GSD... black and tan blanket. The puppies are an odd mix of colours. My buddy got a fawn puppy from the litter that looks just like a Malinois, most of the pups resemble a mixture of the parents... basically traditional GSD markings just with various degrees of brindle mixed in from light banding on the legs to basically brindle with a darker back.

Lycaon however is sable. He has a black face with lighter areas around the eyes. he has mostly tan legs with black pencil marks on the toes and some black down the fronts of the legs. He has a dark chest and tail. The back of his ears are brown as is the crown of his head. The rest of him is black overlaying mainly brown with a couple areas of grey starting to develop in his "mane". If you were to comb his hair straight back he would look mostly black. If you run your hand against the grain he is tan.

My understanding is that this colouration is a dominant trait, and neither of his parents have it.. so how did he get it? As close as I can figure from high school biology, it would have to be from his mother, assuming brindle was dominant over sable, and sable is dominant over whatever he got from his father...

Of course if THAT is the case how do you explain the fawn colouration of his brother? I assume his mother has at least some Malinois in her... the Dutchis is almost just a colour variation of that breed. But that would make her fawn x brindle...

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Parents... I know she looks kinda sable, but that is because the photo has been filtered

Mom

Lycaon...

Odin...

The litter

P71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2014, 09:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

I am not real familiar with the genetics but I do know that depending on the registry, the "Dutch" shepherd may have Malinois and that might influence the color. In some registries, a black or brindle is a "Dutch" and a fawn is a "Malinois" and they don't care what the parents were or if these two different breeds are coming out of the same litter. If it works, it works
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.