German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Genetic Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/genetic-issues/)
-   -   Canine Hip Dysplasia genes identified (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/genetic-issues/449682-canine-hip-dysplasia-genes-identified.html)

Tattersail 05-13-2014 11:57 AM

Canine Hip Dysplasia genes identified

Canine hip dysplasia genes identified

Thought this might be interesting for breeders and the future of testing in the GSD.

Vandal 05-13-2014 11:59 AM

Not particularily good news if you ask me.

Jax08 05-13-2014 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vandal (Post 5512426)
Not particularily good news if you ask me.

Why?

brembo 05-13-2014 12:48 PM

I could see some great genes getting flushed because of the possibility of HD. As with any new tech or ability to predict outcomes the information must be used wisely or systemic damage can occur. Human's track record when dabbling in the matters of omnipotent being is spotty, restraint and care seem to fall to the wayside when such dazzling possibilities present themselves.

Chris Wild 05-13-2014 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brembo (Post 5512626)
I could see some great genes getting flushed because of the possibility of HD.

Exactly. Over focus on any one trait causes loss of other equally, and sometimes more important, traits.

wolfstraum 05-13-2014 03:44 PM

and realistically - I seriously doubt that any significant percentage of dogs are going to test free of that possibility...it is too widespread, too common...Say a good producing female has 50 pups - and 45 pass hip certs, and 40 carry a gene to produce it ....you will throw out most of the next generation even with passing hips....

Lee

lhczth 05-13-2014 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Wild (Post 5512914)
Exactly. Over focus on any one trait causes loss of other equally, and sometimes more important, traits.

Bingo!!

BlueDogs77 05-16-2014 11:19 AM

This could lead to some serious genetic bottlenecking if people aren't careful. I know it has already been done at least once in both America and Germany by two studs who were so heavily bred upon; Lance of Fran Jo and Uran v. WildsteigerLand, that in the 1999 edition of The German Shepherd Dog (by Dog Fancy) an article stated, "America and Germany have bred themselves into a corner."

Let's hope history doesn't repeat itself. Sigh...

Sabis mom 05-16-2014 12:21 PM

IMO it would have to be managed much the way DM should be. Test the dogs, be aware of the results and breed accordingly. Responsible, diligent breeders could put this to good use, but just tossing lines that carry a gene is not in the best interest of the breed.

blackshep 05-29-2014 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabis mom (Post 5525977)
IMO it would have to be managed much the way DM should be. Test the dogs, be aware of the results and breed accordingly. Responsible, diligent breeders could put this to good use, but just tossing lines that carry a gene is not in the best interest of the breed.

I agree. I see both sides, but it's possible to still keep the good genetics of temperament and working ability, while reducing the chances of passing the HD gene on. People do it with DM testing, there's no reason it couldn't be done with HD as well.

I can't see any reason a breeder would not want to know it, at least. Might be a way to help breed the HD gene out over the long term or even just reduce it somewhat, and that is never a bad thing.