German Shepherds Forum banner

Breeding long hair to short hair?

9K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  susanne42 
#1 ·
I have a two year old short haired female that got accidentally bred to our one year old long haired male.
Female came in heat last year in late November and we had planned to have her spayed in February. Well, she came in heat unexpectedly end of January.
Our boy is still like a puppy and doesn't lift his leg yet. Always thought they need to lift the leg to be able to breed. Big mistake. Now we have eight very beautiful pups and advertised them to find good homes. Every potential buyer wants to know if they will be long haired but I have no clue. They all look the same.
So what will be the arts? Three males and five females. Does that matter?
How long before I can tell what kind of coat they will have?

#3 ·
Long coat is a recessive, so for the puppies to have it the dam would also have to carry a recessive gene for long coat. If she does, there should be some long coat puppies. If she does not, there won't be any long coat puppies even though the sire is a long coat.

It's usually pretty obvious which pups are long coats by 3-4 weeks old. They start developing extra tufts of hair on their feet and heads, and their face often has an odd hair pattern to it that looks much like a schnauzer. If you can post close up photos of the individual pups we can probably give you a good idea of who is a long coat and who isn't.

#6 ·
It is very common in some lines, particularly German show lines, and less common in others. It really depends on the individual bloodlines. If the dam has any close relatives... mother, father, siblings, grandparents, etc... that were long coated then she has a higher chance of carrying it. If all close relatives are normal stock coats, then chances are less, but there's still no guarantee. Recessives can remain hidden for generations and only pop up when combined with a matching recessive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.