German Shepherds Forum banner

Miniature German Shepherd

15K views 27 replies 23 participants last post by  lola2010 
#1 ·
I recently adopted a German Shepherd who was abandoned at my work. She was only 44lbs at the time. She has a small frame and is well proportioned. She is definitely full grown, aged between 3-6. The vet says she's in very good health and that she is just a really small gsd... She weighs over 48 lbs now but is still tiny for a German Shepherd. She is definitely pure bred!

Does anyone have an idea on why she is so small?

I attached a picture of her next to a large german shepherd.

I'd love to hear everyone thoughts and ideas on Maya :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Either not purebred, or very poorly bred. And since you have no idea where the dog originated from ("I recently adopted a German Shepherd who was abandoned at my work") not sure how you concluded purebred.

#10 ·
That size is still within the standard, so not necessarily very poorly bred. I know a very nice female out of very nice lines who is 48 lbs. Both parents were on the low side of standard, but still within it.

That being said, it is hard to tell from the photos if she is a purebred or not. Either way, I wouldn't expect any special health issues.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#14 ·
May I ask what part of the country?

The reason I ask is that I see dogs that look just like this, in this size, constantly in the shelter where I volunteer in Louisiana. In rescue, I've started jokingly referring to them as "Louisiana Liittles" (a/k/a "Cajun Shepherd Dogs") -- as I'm pretty sure someone (or multiple someones) out in the bayou here is breeding them tiny deliberately because they think it's clever. :mad:

#16 ·
The little rescue boy I have right now is also small, maybe 50-55 lbs., and he's that way because he was starved and consequently stunted when his breeder didn't sell the litter as fast as he thought he should. He doesn't know he's small, however, and is the bright spot in our house right now, he keeps us laughing. He also helps me take care of my sister, who has some disabilities. If I don't hear her call me at night, my boy hears her and wakes me up. We've had him about 10 months, and it's hard to imagine a time he wasn't with us.

#26 ·
I think she looks purebred, too. She's small, but as with big that's neither inherently 'good' nor 'bad'. A smaller size is better for some tasks, not as good for others, & every bit as loveable, loyal, smart & personable.

People will probably remark on her size. Some just to snark & others making conversation, or just curious, but not intending to be insulting. Regardless, you know the dog you've got, so pay 'em no mind. I'm amused when people try to rile me with comments about Djibouti's size. It's absolutely AMAZING that they somehow think I care a scant whit for their unsolicited, unwelcome, boorish & boooring remarks.

#28 ·
It's absolutely AMAZING that they somehow think I care a scant whit for their unsolicited, unwelcome, boorish & boooring remarks.

LMAO love the way you said that !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.