German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Genetic Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/genetic-issues/)
-   -   Miniature German Shepherd (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/genetic-issues/400674-miniature-german-shepherd.html)

beatrice7 01-23-2014 04:21 PM

Miniature German Shepherd

1 Attachment(s)
I recently adopted a German Shepherd who was abandoned at my work. She was only 44lbs at the time. She has a small frame and is well proportioned. She is definitely full grown, aged between 3-6. The vet says she's in very good health and that she is just a really small gsd... She weighs over 48 lbs now but is still tiny for a German Shepherd. She is definitely pure bred!

Does anyone have an idea on why she is so small?

I attached a picture of her next to a large german shepherd.

I'd love to hear everyone thoughts and ideas on Maya :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

carmspack 01-23-2014 04:23 PM

maybe she is not a purebred GSD and so her size is appropriate for her . got more pictures ?

beatrice7 01-23-2014 04:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Some more pics

dawnandjr 01-23-2014 04:27 PM

Either not purebred, or very poorly bred. And since you have no idea where the dog originated from ("I recently adopted a German Shepherd who was abandoned at my work") not sure how you concluded purebred.

Chris Wild 01-23-2014 04:29 PM

Purebred GSDs can be that small. It's not common, but it happens. The breed standard goes down to 22" and 48lbs as allowable for females and just as some dogs end up being larger than the standard allows, some can also be smaller. Though oversized is far more common than undersized.

SuperG 01-23-2014 04:31 PM

"She weighs over 48 lbs now but is still tiny for a German Shepherd."

Bitches:
Height at withers: 55-60 cm
Weight: 22-32 kg

22Kg is 48.4 pounds.....lower end of the standard spectrum.

Not "tiny".

SuperG

beatrice7 01-23-2014 04:34 PM

Are there any known problems with GSDs this small?

jocoyn 01-23-2014 04:42 PM

No. She is clearly not a dwarf. Dwarfs do have some issues.

SuperG 01-23-2014 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beatrice7 (Post 4892010)
Are there any known problems with GSDs this small?

None that I have ever heard of ......except that they can scare you more often because they can hide in smaller places.

SuperG

LoveEcho 01-23-2014 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawnandjr (Post 4891954)
Either not purebred, or very poorly bred. And since you have no idea where the dog originated from ("I recently adopted a German Shepherd who was abandoned at my work") not sure how you concluded purebred.

That size is still within the standard, so not necessarily very poorly bred. I know a very nice female out of very nice lines who is 48 lbs. Both parents were on the low side of standard, but still within it.

That being said, it is hard to tell from the photos if she is a purebred or not. Either way, I wouldn't expect any special health issues.