German Shepherd Dog Breed Betterment Registry - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default German Shepherd Dog Breed Betterment Registry

Please consider making an entry. Considering all the health problems in this breed there should be tons of entries. This is a great tool if people would just use it. (this was posted with Marjorie's permission)

On the GSDBBR (German Shepherd Dog Breed Betterment Registry, a Health Registry for GSDS)
German Shepherd Dog Breed Betterment Registry
health problems or causes of death as well as the history of healthy individual dogs are recorded, as well as frozen or chilled semen available from entered studs. If the dog has had litters, and is entered upon the database, litter history will also be recorded and available for viewing. Pedigrees of entered dogs are available for viewing, along with any comments the owner of the dog wishes to record/has recorded.

To research pedigrees and/or health problems:

---go to the summary analysis page
---scroll down and click on the health problems or causes of death listed in which you have an interest.
---A list of dogs will be brought up with their pedigrees.
---By clicking on a dogs name on the left side of the page, you can look at the pedigrees by clicking on the name of the dogs on the list.
--- Each pedigree will come up on a new page.

If you wish to search for frozen or chilled semen available from dogs entered upon the database
---go to the search page
--- enter frozen or chilled semen in the search box
--- check off yes to the question "Only return males and where frozen or chilled semen is available?"
---A list of dogs will be brought up.
---Click on the individual name to view their pedigrees.

Hip and elbow status are recorded, as well as certifications for any dogs that have been officially tested for various health problems.

Titles the dog have earned will also be listed on their individual pages.

The GSDBBR is open to all owners of Registered German Shepherd Dogs, worldwide, that have titled dogs or dogs within 5 generations of their dog's pedigree that are progeny/ littermates of these titled dogs. German Shepherd Dogs entered upon this database must comply with their country's breed standard, or be the progeny of a breeding of 2 German Shepherd Dogs, both of which comply with the breed standard.* This registry will house information pertaining to German Shepherd Dogs, both alive and deceased. You may only post information about a dog you own!

This Registry has been created in an attempt to gather comprehensive health information which will enable breeders to make more informed breeding choices and to avoid doubling up on health issues.

We thank all who will participate in this Registry for caring enough to want to take a proactive role in bettering the health of the breed. Together, we CAN make a difference!

*If you wish to enter a White German Shepherd onto a breed registry, please visit Wsgenetics.org

Marjorie
German Shepherd Dog Breed Betterment Registry The German Shepherd Dog Breed Betterment Registry
BE PROACTIVE!
Degenerative Myelopathy Support Group - Jack Flash's Homepage --> The Degenerative Myelopathy Support Group Heaven's Gate Database Home Heaven's Gate

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009
Heidigsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

how do you discern a genetic problem from a management problem ?

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 08:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

I've looked at that page but it asks for so many details it didn't seem worth it. Also I worry that it's just a place for people to spout off about unhealthy dogs. All those tiny details about one dog are not as valuable to me as a good breeder's cumulative knowledge of their lines and what they produce.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 09:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

exactly my feeling -- venting or spouting off is not good data collection that is meaningful for genetic direction.

In my experience being exposed to dogs with troubles far too many are correctable through diet , essential fatty acids , improved digestion , and are not "genetic" .

I think there is potential for damage rather than good

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
exactly my feeling -- venting or spouting off is not good data collection that is meaningful for genetic direction.

In my experience being exposed to dogs with troubles far too many are correctable through diet , essential fatty acids , improved digestion , and are not "genetic" .

I think there is potential for damage rather than good
Genetic is easy. If it is genetic, it can be DNA tested for. Just have to isolate the test criteria
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Good points Carmen and Lies......!
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffson1 View Post
Good points Carmen and Lies......!

I don't see a smily face after Lies

So to concur with Carmen...look into epigenetics

Epigenetics

from that the link on diet

Nutrition and the Epigenome

Which IMO would argue that HD could be prevented in some/most - not all, if the right nutrients are fed pre, during, post gestation
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have a lot to say on this subject but need to calm down a little bit first since this is very personal to me

We can either do something or nothing to help this beautiful breed. Any tool can be potentially abused, if we wait for the perfect solution to help this breed we'll be waiting a long time! I am really getting sick of all the excuses why not to do something.

Continuing to stick our head in the sand and hoping for the best is not good enough for me!

And for the record, I am neither venting nor spouting off, I am speaking from experience that I can back up!!!

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009
Heidigsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

I went to enter my dog but the info that I have that is relevant to this database is already publicly available on Pedigree Database, my own web site, OFFA.org, ZW database, etc. Just because people don't use it doesn't mean they aren't asking dozens of questions about health. But right now the tool offers me nothing I can't get from other sources and from the breeders/owners. It's not a bad thing but I found too much overlap for it to be valuable.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 04:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Internet registries have a huge problem...they're on the internet. They're optional registries that at the end of the day limit the users of said registry. There are tons of people out there, breeding wonderful GSDs that don't even use PDB, now you expect them to use another registry?

Then there's that whole internet thing. Not everyone has it, not everyone wants to use it, not everyone knows how to use it. Basically you're alienating all those breeders that have been doing it for decades without problems, or solving their problems when they come up in their lines with pedigree knowledge and understanding genetics but don't know how to use a computer.

It's a good start...but there are buyers that don't even know how to read an AKC pedigree for the OFA information, or look it up on their website, or go to PDB to see any kind of titles/health clearances, and now you want to introduce a new database that does essentially the same thing?

Oh and then you're expecting people to also be honest...there are plenty of breeders out there that won't disclose minor genetic defects or diseases...especially after pumping thousands of dollars into a stud or a bitch. Just like PDB its all user input based...nothing is stopping me from writing how great my dog is genetically and also putting all the titles on him I want.

Last edited by martemchik; 02-18-2013 at 04:04 PM.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.