Is Pano Genetic? - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #41 (permalink)

My Pano dog was raised in the city, quite close to the dupont plant which dumps a LOT of waste into the lake. So might be on to something there lol. My childhood dog started the pano problems when we were in the country though.
Eli was never fed puppy food, started with Innova Evo (before P&G owned it) which is quite similar to Orijen. This is what he was fed up until the Pano started. Eventually we tried some lower protein holistic foods. Tried some supplements. Kept getting pano bouts. Then did a ton of research on specific ingredients to avoid, calcium, phosphorus, selenium, magnesium etc... levels, did a ton more research trying to find a food that matched that, fed that food for 6 months and his poops were great but the pano bouts never stopped until he finally stopped growing. However he is a very big boy and was always a big puppy. Thick bones and grew fast - although steadily. He was 95lbs the last time I weighed him, and has always been kept quite lean.
I am always exctied about pano discussions hoping to figure out the answer some day.
Sweetie - APBT CGN
Mikelia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2015, 11:30 AM   #42 (permalink)

I have read that it could be, our 5 month old GSD was hit hard with Pano immediately after her 3rd set of puppy shots, which that one included rabies vaccine. Has anyone else noticed a correlation between pano and rabies vaccine. We are treating her with an anti-inflammatory 2x daily as needed as per the vet. She is still in a bit of pain as she favors a couple legs still and will whimper if the other dog bumps her wrong when they are playing. I think it is going to be a long couple of years.

We have well water also, it is high in calcium-should I be buying bottled water or getting jugs of city water? What do you think?

Last edited by Heike's mom; 01-22-2015 at 11:32 AM. Reason: adding questions and comment
Heike's mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2015, 02:33 PM   #43 (permalink)
Crowned Member

In Deja's litter all the males (the larger and smaller ones) had Pano and none of the females. The females are petite. She is 15 months old and weighs 60 pounds.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2015, 04:46 PM   #44 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Well water could very well play into the extra minerals, etc. After researching diet for kidney issues, filtered water is recommended so the dog doesn't have to process extra minerals. Though where I live, it is very sandy soil and our water is really good, clear and not real hard or rusty.
As far as vaccines playing into Pano, I don't think it does. My females first bout was at 6 months, her rabies vax was at 4 months.
After reading about Dr. Dodds protocols, I'd never give the rabies vaccine with others. Space them out at least two weeks apart.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2015, 01:38 PM   #45 (permalink)

When my female German shepherd dog was 7-9 months old, she got it. I don't understand because she was always on the lean side. In fact, she grew very slowly too and never was quick to fill out...
I'm not sure if it's genetic or not, but all I know is despite the fact my Dakota wasn't fat at all and didn't grow quickly, she suffered from pano from about 2 weeks!
TheMutleyCrue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2015, 03:00 PM   #46 (permalink)
Elite Member

Riley had it in his front leg. Kaleb had it really bad. It eventually went to all his legs. He's fine now. The breeder said his grandfather also had pano really bad.

Riley - 11/05/2012-8/30/2013 (Myasthenia Gravis)
He will always be in my heart.
trcy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2015, 12:23 AM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMutleyCrue View Post
When my female German shepherd dog was 7-9 months old, she got it. I don't understand because she was always on the lean side. In fact, she grew very slowly too and never was quick to fill out...
I'm not sure if it's genetic or not, but all I know is despite the fact my Dakota wasn't fat at all and didn't grow quickly, she suffered from pano from about 2 weeks!
Pano is genetic. It doesn't always happen though. Sadly Zeus had it flare up 4 times. It goes away when they stop growing.
Zeusthegsd143 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2015, 07:24 AM   #48 (permalink)

My 7 mo WGWL pup is on his 2d bout with panno. The first was pretty bad & lasted the standard full month. He's on adult formula Wellness.

He's growing fast, poor guy. He's just started holding his paw up, so we're starting another round.

I had a WGSL male several years ago who grew like crazy, I mean he was bigger every 2 hours. He developed panno in all 4 legs (epiphystitis).

I refuse to give rimadyl, so it's tough. Just baby aspirin for the inflammation.

I need to check with my pup's breeder to see if it's in the lines.
zetti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2015, 10:49 AM   #49 (permalink)
Master Member

Areli had her first (and prayerfully last) bout in left forearm. She was seriously seriously lame, moaned and groaned. Thankfully it only lasted a few days, by week end she was fine. Her father had pano in 3 legs... Aspirin (didn't have arnica at the time), high doses of beer pollen/vitamin C, upped dose of her Joint Health (has msm) and Fresh Factors and rest... I did reduce her protein intake for 2 days just in case.. She is very lean, but at 84lbs at 38wks,she is a bit oversized...
Hineni7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.