Is Pano Genetic? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

With Karlo I supplemented with vitamin C and his bouts were very mild. I didn't know about C's benefits when Onyx went through it. C will reduce inflammation, and I believe it did help lessen Karlo's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 01:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

I think weight plays a huge factor. Whether raw or kibble keeping them lean makes a big difference. I think on leerburg, his last dog that got pano in raw was a tad too thick. Once them got him down a couple pounds it went away.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 01:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

I would say genetic in how fast the parents grow. Does the line grow slow and steady? Or fast and then slow? Or do they tend to have spurts of rapid growth? Has there been any research to see if there is any correlation to growth patterns?

Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capone22 View Post
I think weight plays a huge factor. Whether raw or kibble keeping them lean makes a big difference. I think on leerburg, his last dog that got pano in raw was a tad too thick. Once them got him down a couple pounds it went away.

With that article, the dog in question was actually not overweight. It was just not as lean as Ed Frawley would normally keep his dogs by a couple of pounds. This was a mal that came from a very large boned sire that was 85 plus pounds.

He originally had the thought that switching to raw was the answer to pano. He found with this dog it was not. The dog was raw fed and still got pano.

At the rainbow bridge:
Zappa 12/27/00-1/23/12 You are my heart, my soul, and my best friend. You will be with me always.
Zeus 5/9/12-8/13/12 You taught me strength. Run free.
jaggirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggirl47 View Post
He originally had the thought that switching to raw was the answer to pano. He found with this dog it was not. The dog was raw fed and still got pano.
Just feeding raw is not the answer because most of those diets have some crazy nutritional profiles. Meeting your dog's exact nutritional needs is. My dog were fed to NRC requirements and did not get pano, nor has any of the dogs fed this way that I am aware of. The littermates to my dogs did get pano.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #16 (permalink)

My one male had bad bouts of pano from about 5 months until he turned 2. After it started I was sure to keep him lean. He was raised on a grain free, free range meats kibble. I fed many different foods (never full raw though), tried vit c, had calcium, phosphorus, protein etc.. levels down to a pat. I tried every last thing I could and it never seemed to affect the pano bouts. I even considered trying dog chow as people with random bred, cheaply fed dogs seem to have no issues haha. He eventually outgrew it and thank god it is over. There has been a few dogs with the same sire that have had bouts of pano, but not as heavily as he did.
No one seems to have a real answer on if it is genetic or not, or if food affects it, or if xyz affects it. I remember reading once about a particular sire from the 50's or 60's that had pano and majority of our dogs today go back to that dog in one way or another. This was an asl dog but I have heard there was an influential german dog from way back when that had pano too. Who knows, but it really does plague our breed and it is a horrible thing for puppies to have to go through.
Sweetie - APBT CGN
Mikelia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You didn't feed to NRC requirements for your particular pup so you didn't have the nutritional levels down pat. Pano is horrible and can be avoided if they are fed correctly. I will say that feeding my way is a huge pain in the rear, but it's worth it.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
You didn't feed to NRC requirements for your particular pup so you didn't have the nutritional levels down pat. Pano is horrible and can be avoided if they are fed correctly. I will say that feeding my way is a huge pain in the rear, but it's worth it.

Saying this right here is right on the same level Leerburg was at. They thought the way they fed was the be all end all to keep from getting pano, until a pup came down with pano. This thought was shared and pushed so much, but it was refuted and shown to be not true.

At the rainbow bridge:
Zappa 12/27/00-1/23/12 You are my heart, my soul, and my best friend. You will be with me always.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
What is your way?
Old 11-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
What is your way?
I think this is:

Diet Analysis With Corrections

At the rainbow bridge:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.