DM test - Which one? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2012, 04:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Question DM test - Which one?

I want to get a DM test done on Wiva.
Which company did you go with? Why? How was your experience with the company? I am having trouble deciding due to the controversy over the efficacy of the available genetic tests.

Here are the two I am considering:
Orthopedic Foundation for Animals
DNA Test for Canine Degenerative Myelopathy (DM) (I would like to go with this company if anyone has positive feedback about them - they throw in additional tests for only 20$!)

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 09:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I used DDC veterinary www.vetdnacenter.com
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

My vet sent it in to the University of Missouri direct and I think the OFA test does as well - they did blood but I gather same test just have to be careful to get a proper saliva sample. Grim came back as carrier but I am not convinced..some days I think he is in early stages.

The controversey is U of Missouri (like ALS) vs U of Fla (like MS)- do you know which test these folks use? The "accepted" one is the U of M test but there are enough negative and carrier dogs who were diagnosed with DM on necropsy to make me wonder about that one.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
I used DDC veterinary www.vetdnacenter.com
I think I will go with them. I see in PDB and other sites that people seem to like this one. Carmen, how was the process? Would you recommend it?
Old 10-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I had a very quick and professional service from them . When there were any questions I could speak directly to the Senior Scientist . Three animals were done for DM. Two 0/0 , one with 0/1. I plan to do some others .

You can buy the kit on line prepaid by your credit card and that gives you a bit of a saving. They sent the kit quickly. The kit includes four swabs for each animal being assessed. You need to be careful how you handle the bio-material if you are doing more than one animal because you do not want cross contamination. Wash hands between if you are . You take the return package and put all the identification on the envelope. Then take two samples of the left cheek , two samples of the right cheek of each animal . Twirl it around a bit to get some of the epithelium . There are extra swabs provided in case you drop one (that is a smart idea) Put in to envelope , seal, place in larger return envelope and send. You will get a response from the lab when the material arrives at the lab. You will get a response within 10 days via email giving you the results and a hard copy signed document through the mail which takes a little longer.

The price was reasonable . Would recommend and will use again for myself.

Carmen
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 03:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks Carmen, I'm going to do this. I've had a little interest from other people wanting to use one of my dogs and it seems the DM testing is all the rage! I know one of the females is normal so I guess there is no risk but given the severity of the disease and the reasonable cost I'm happy to participate so they have more data for their research.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Thanks Carmen. Your experience seems to be the norm and people seem to generally like their service. I'm curious to know if she carries coat because her sire does not, but the dam does so I think I'll throw in the coat length in for fun along with the DM.

There seems to be at least some variability in the results depending on which lab tests the dog. I saw on a pdb thread that one person had OFA rate the dog as a carrier, while DDC rated the dog as A/A. The dog ended up having full DM and was diagnosed as such clinically. There is also some interesting info on DM carriers displaying disease symptoms. Then again there is also info questioning the predictive value of the test itself. I am sure she will test clear, but just something interesting to consider.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to VaBeachFamily Send a message via Yahoo to VaBeachFamily

I have been curious about this myself. I prefer to do any testing I can directly through people, not sending and paying someone else to send it off to the actual company, ya know? The less handling/time the better in my opinion.

Also... just curious, but did the prices recently change? OFA is showing $65, but on my cost layout for each dog, I have it listed quite a bit lower. I did not think they had it listed at that cost? At that rate, I might as well use one of the others anyhow!

~ Cullen Vom Sandstranden, Purebred GSD, Black/Red Male : 12/16/09

~ Panzer Vom Sandstranden, Purebred GSD, Sable Female : 11/29/10

~ Gizmo , Amstaff, Brindle/White Female : 5/5/2000

Last edited by VaBeachFamily; 10-11-2012 at 08:47 AM.
VaBeachFamily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 09:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

OFA DM test has always been $65.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #10 (permalink)

I used the OFA test. They received my Kaos DNA sample on 2-11-2013 and I got the results on 2-15-2013 by clicking the e mail link you get. Kaos came back normal, clear. Then about a week later you get a certificate from the OFA with a sheet explaining everything. I was shocked that about half the GSD's they tested were a carrier. Forget the number at risk....

My former GS Genesis had DM. I got scared because Kaos was starting to scrape his nails. Has tremors in his hips at night. Told my vet of the results. He's pretty sure the symptoms are a result of his really bad hips. He's 9 and a half. The weird thing was my Genesis never had any tremors. Didn't really scrape his nails at the beginning. He would lose his balance. Then his rear end would just go off to the side. When he could walk I used to have to use my hand to keep his rear going in a straight line. Horrid, horrible disease. Within 8 months he couldn't walk......
Kaos 8/6/2003-5/18/2013 Things not what they used to be. Missing one inside of me. Deathly lost this Cant be real. Cannot stand this H*ll I feel. Emptiness is filling me. To the point of agony..RIP Your paw prints burned forever into my broken heart.

Last edited by Fade2Black; 02-23-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Fade2Black is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.