DM test - Which one? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2013, 11:43 AM   #11 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I think the OFA test goes to U of M
The test has some controversy - I know one dog owner (a SAR person, not Marjorie from Jack Flash page) whose GSD was N/N on the test and necropsied positive for DM.

I know when I got Grim's results back (the vet sent directly to U of M not through OFA-He came back as A/N) it was returned with a disclaimer:

Hello Jocoy,
Thank you for participating in the ongoing research and testing for DM – we appreciate your participation. Following is the DM test result for your dog. Attached to this email report is a certificate (in PDF format) for you to print for your records.

Grim tested CARRIER
Brief explanation of results;
NORMAL dogs are not at risk for developing DM and can safely be bred to a dog with any test result.

CARRIER are far less likely to develop DM, but we have confirmed DM in a few carrier dogs. They may be used carefully in breeding programs to keep their good qualities while reducing risk of DM in future generations.

AFFECTED dogs are AT RISK for developing DM at some point in their lifetime. Not all AFFECTED/AT RISK dogs develop observable clinical symptoms. At present we do not a way to predict when clinical symptoms may appear. Additional research is underway to help determine these details.

Dogs testing NORMAL or CARRIER who exhibit symptoms suggestive of DM should have additional diagnostics done to determine the possible underlying cause of observed symptoms.

Additional information and discussion of results and breeding considerations can be found in the DEGENERATIVE MYELOPATHY section of our website, www.CanineGeneticDiseases.net<http://www.CanineGeneticDiseases.net>.

If you would like to have these results recorded with OFA On their public database, you may mail or fax a copy of the certificate attached to this report along with the “Application for DNA-Based Genetic Database” form (http://www.offa.org/pdf/dnaapp_bw.pdf) and appropriate fee to OFA. Their website is www.OFFA.org<http://www.OFFA.org>, fax number is 573-875-5073, phone is 573-442-0418.

If you have questions about the test results please contact us; if you have questions about the OFA application, please contact OFA.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2013, 11:46 AM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to HEINOLFGSD

I used DDC Vet to test my dogs. No complaints whatsoever.
Their kit was very easy to use and it came with swabs, envelopes, etc.
I also got my results fairly quickly and was told by a friend (who used the OFA to test some of her dogs) that if I had went with them (the OFA) it would have a been longer wait.
Also, the cost of the test is with DDC Vet $58 versus $65 for the OFA.

Oh and all my dogs tested clear.
Sadie (b. 02-08-10)
Jerry Lee (b. 05-08-10)
Emila (b. 04-12-11)
Kodey (b. 04-03-12)
Thompson (b. 11-21-12)
Phee (b. 04-29-13)
HEINOLFGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Used the DDC test - had no problems with the previous ones. Kit arrived promptly and test results were communicated by email as soon as they became available. This time around, they charged my card for the amount, but never sent the testing kit. Waited 2 weeks, emailed a complaint, and got an apology - said they will send it asap. We'll see
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 12:59 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
I think the OFA test goes to U of M
The test has some controversy - I know one dog owner (a SAR person, not Marjorie from Jack Flash page) whose GSD was N/N on the test and necropsied positive for DM.

I know when I got Grim's results back (the vet sent directly to U of M not through OFA-He came back as A/N) it was returned with a disclaimer:

Hello Jocoy,
Thank you for participating in the ongoing research and testing for DM – we appreciate your participation. Following is the DM test result for your dog. Attached to this email report is a certificate (in PDF format) for you to print for your records.

Grim tested CARRIER
Brief explanation of results;
NORMAL dogs are not at risk for developing DM and can safely be bred to a dog with any test result.

CARRIER are far less likely to develop DM, but we have confirmed DM in a few carrier dogs. They may be used carefully in breeding programs to keep their good qualities while reducing risk of DM in future generations.

AFFECTED dogs are AT RISK for developing DM at some point in their lifetime. Not all AFFECTED/AT RISK dogs develop observable clinical symptoms. At present we do not a way to predict when clinical symptoms may appear. Additional research is underway to help determine these details.

Dogs testing NORMAL or CARRIER who exhibit symptoms suggestive of DM should have additional diagnostics done to determine the possible underlying cause of observed symptoms.

Additional information and discussion of results and breeding considerations can be found in the DEGENERATIVE MYELOPATHY section of our website, www.CanineGeneticDiseases.net<http://www.CanineGeneticDiseases.net>.

If you would like to have these results recorded with OFA On their public database, you may mail or fax a copy of the certificate attached to this report along with the “Application for DNA-Based Genetic Database” form (http://www.offa.org/pdf/dnaapp_bw.pdf) and appropriate fee to OFA. Their website is www.OFFA.org<http://www.OFFA.org>, fax number is 573-875-5073, phone is 573-442-0418.

If you have questions about the test results please contact us; if you have questions about the OFA application, please contact OFA.

Yep sorry for the confusion in my post. Worded it wrong. It does go to the University of Missouri. The OFA sent me the test. Then you sent it to the UM. OFA have the e-mail link when the results get sent to them so you can check it. Then a few days later OFA sends the certificate and explanation letter....

Kaos came back normal (N/N). Explanation of results. Norman (N/N). This dog is homozygous N/N for the mutation that is the most common cause of DM, with two normal copies of the gene. Among the hundreds of dogs studied so far at the University of Missouri, only two dogs with test results of N/N (normal) have been confirmed to have DM. This dog can only transmit the normal gene to its offspring, and it is unlikely that this dog or it's offspring will ever develop DM.

My vet is pretty sure it's Kaos hips. He said quote "they are so bad". Right now Kaos just had his 1st acupuncture treatment. I sent for the test to try and get some piece of mind since the horror of my last GSD having it will never ever leave me. I was at times making myself sick thinking about another dog with DM. Eventually Kaos hip problems will prevent him from walking (hoping at least a couple years but it will prob. be sooner then that). But it won't kill him. Or cause him b-room problems etc.....If I had the money (from the University of Penn $5500 a hip plus another $1000) I would risk trying getting both hips replaced. Kaos had stem cell treatment last April $3000 with the x rays & complications on his hips that did not help at all. I did bank some cells but I called and was told there is only enough to do both hips one more time. Even though it didn't work I will try it again at some point......
Kaos 8/6/2003-5/18/2013 Things not what they used to be. Missing one inside of me. Deathly lost this Cant be real. Cannot stand this H*ll I feel. Emptiness is filling me. To the point of agony..RIP Your paw prints burned forever into my broken heart.
Fade2Black is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 01:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Ah..the SAR dog must have been the "2nd" N/N dog but how many people actually necropsy their dog and send in a definitive diagnosis. Precious few I would think. Necropsy is the ONLY definitive diagnosis.

I know the controversy centers around the University of Florida (Dr Clemmons) vs the University of Mo testing and the comparison to ALS (U of M) and MS (U of F). It does concern me that breeding choices may be excluding dogs from the gene pool (or inlcuding them) without adequate evidence as there is not a whole lot data to support either test and the U of F testing is, I believe, not available anymore. [clemmons lost the funding wars]

I do not want to link to other forums but if you google "DM Flash Test" you will find discussions on both tests and the gene which is looked at.

Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles

Last edited by jocoyn; 02-23-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

This is a good discussion on, of all things, a Malamute page-we believe that Linus who died at 15 in 2000 had DM because of the progression and he had that characteristic hoarse bark they talk about here.

http://omalmalamutes.com/omal/DM.htm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.