BAD Breeder - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2010, 10:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default BAD Breeder

My GSD Sinister is a great, amazing, beautiful dog that I absolutely adore but he came from a BYB and his parents are no longer listed on there website and I find that weird . When I took Sin to the Vet he let out a little cry when she was moving his back left leg around to see if it was ok. She did Xrays and said that he has very, very mild HD but we wont know the real outcome or how it will effect him for another year (he is only a year old). I called his breeder to let her know and she told me to bring him back and they would have him PTS!!! They told me they would not give me my money back but they would give me another puppy, I DONT WANT ANOTHER PUPPY, I LOVE MY BOY! When I asked her why she would put him to sleep not knowing if his HD would ever hurt him or effect his life she told me that no one wants a dog with HD. I told her I would never dream of taking back my boy only for him to be PTS and that I wasn't looking to give him back or get another puppy, I just wanted my money back. How could someone give back their dog after having it for almost a year????? I would never recommend her ever and I think she's running a really crappy business.

Sinister ~ black GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2010, 10:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

WOW! You don't put them down if it is just mild HD. ****, there are dogs successfully in sport that have mild HD and it doesn't affect them one bit.
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 10:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

She should at least give you half the money back.
GSDBESTK9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 10:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Big hugs to you and your boy. Sorry you had to hear such load of garbage from his breeder. Mild HD in most cases as others said won't affect the dog's life. Geez... PTS a one year old... what was this person thinking????
Baby Byron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 10:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Start up with Esther - c for your puppy, and glucosamin/Chondrotin. Keep him lean and exercise as much as you can because strong muscles will help take the pressure off the joint.

Alot of our dogs have laxity in their hips so will fail their x-rays, but still live long and healthy lives.

Ester-C: Miracle Cure for Hip Dysplasia???

Hip Dysplasia in Dogs: Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention

As far as getting a new puppy or money back or whatever........that should have been clearly spelled out in the Puppy Agreement you signed when you purchased the puppy. If it didn't say they would refund, then they told you up front that they wouldn't...
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 11:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Sorry, but you just need to put this into the lessons learned book. It's a good thing that you found out early so you can manage it. Put your focus there - it sounds like you've already written off the breeder (another good thing) Not worth spending any energy thinking about them.

Kayla 02/12/05

Lancer 05/01/08
Kayla's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 11:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

In the paperwork it says that they will either take your puppy and give you a new puppy or give money back, it depends on the situation. But I would be saving her money by keeping my boy and getting my money back instead of her taking him and having to pay for him to be PTS and then giving me a puppy that she wont be able to make money off of right? Why cant she let me keep my boy and get my money back? She would be putting down a great dog for a tiny reason

Old 03-16-2010, 11:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

Just want to add, I wouldn't necessarily go jumping to worst case scenarios. Is your vet an experienced Ortho vet? If not, what she calls very very mild HD, might actually be nothing. I would consider monitoring and supplementing and going back for a 2nd opinion in a year or so to see how everything developed.

Truthfully, sometimes they cry because they don't like their leg being twisted around. Sometimes it's muscular. In my experience, very very mild HD is not symptomatic in a young dog. Meaning I wouldn't expect their to be pain in the joint. I've seen several mildly dysplastic and moderate dysplastic dogs who compete regularly with no noticeable issue.

What did your contract look like? If you didn't have one, then you do not have the right to expect anything. You basically purchased the Puppy As Is. If they are not abiding by their contract then I would be angry. [ETA- Just saw your post. DH is a lawyer, so how things are worded is important. If it's at their discretion, it's at their discretion. The simple fact of the matter is that right now they may not have the money, so they offer the other option of a replacement puppy. I know you're upset and I'm not necessarily saying that they are a good breeder. The reality is that many contracts write guarantees so that you don't want to use them so they don't have to give them. This includes reputable and disreputable breeders. That's why i consider the majority of guarantees to be worthless.]

I don't like that they offered to put the Puppy to sleep, although I think sometimes that is the responsiblity of the breeder. A crippled dog that is in pain or has some kind of genetic issue is sometimes is better off euthanized. I wouldn't consider mildly dysplastic that kind of issue. In this case, I think they wanted you to keep the puppy and weren't above using a little guilt.

Also, I guess I just don't get this concept of "guarantees" when it comes to our pets. I think it's a marketing gimic. I understand people purchasing breeding animals. Obviously, if your primary goal is to have an animal that can certify for breeding then that's what you want....but a companion animal? There isn't a person on here who can "guarantee" that a puppy will be free of dysplasia. If you're getting a dog and you've done the proper research then you KNOW this. Like kids, dogs have a way of growing up in ways we don't expect. I mean if you adopt and your kid turns out to have a learning disability or some kind of health issue do you get to return it? Does the agency give you back part of the money?

I bought from a breeder who didn't offer a guarantee. I was satisfied with the health and temperament of the parents, and the health and temperament of the puppies at the time of purchase. I talk to the breeder every couple of months when she checks to see how everyone is doing. And I know that if I had a problem she would take the dog back in a heartbeat because she loves her animals and is proud of what she has produced.

But when I signed the paper and took that puppy home, he became my responsiblity, not hers. I don't know...just me.
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

Tampa Bay Working Dog Club

Last edited by JKlatsky; 03-16-2010 at 11:20 AM.
JKlatsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 11:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

not much to add, but i was wondering about the vet visit as well. The pain sounds like it could have been Pano, did he/she check the long bones. I would also be curious about the vets ability to acurately read the x-rays.

Fur Family:
Dakota "Koda" GSD 02/20/2008
Chloe Calico 9/21/2007

"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too"
GSDSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 11:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I got a 2 year hip guarantee and the paperwork stated "They will either take your puppy and give you a new puppy or give money back, it depends on the situation."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.