Anal Fistula - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2009, 01:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Re: Anal Fistula

What are you currently feeding? Any other foods fed since about the time that this fistula came up?

LisaT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2009, 01:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Just an fyi, I updated Max's PF thread, linked above.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Did the fistula show up after the anti-inflammatory? Is it Rimadyl? Is the vet monitoring blood values with drug?

Old 12-10-2009, 02:22 PM   #14 (permalink)

I just want to say yes it is very painful it is hard for them to poop, the web site that was listed is very good and you should join it the people there are very informative I know because my gsd has the autoimune pfds and I am a member of that group and the pfs are treatable. I changed Dukes food to Natural Balance venison and sweet potato. He was also on cyclo and still is.
chelsa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2009, 03:50 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted By: LisaTWhat are you currently feeding? Any other foods fed since about the time that this fistula came up?
I have been feeding Diamond Premium for years
Deputy95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2009, 04:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

This is the link I found to the Diamond Premium:
http://www.diamondpet.com/products/d...mula_for_dogs/

I would find a food that has no corn, no wheat, and absolutely no chicken (or chicken fat) in it. I would probably stay away from turkey too, just to be safe. Go for Lamb or fish based.

My Derm said that she had one dog's fistula go away with a food change and an anti-fungal. Wish we could all be that lucky. However, your girl's food has two big triggers in it (corn and wheat), and another common trigger (chicken), so maybe a food change will make a big difference

Old 03-13-2010, 02:04 PM   #17 (permalink)

oh no my dog had this and yes it is painful for them. GSD are prone to it and it is to do with the immune system. We put my dog on combination of nizoral and cyclosporine which suppresses the immune system and helps with the pain. Also we shaved the underneath of his tail and round his bum. washing with a betadine solution to help with removal of bacteria. We also changed his diet drastically from a hypoallergenic food to RAW. He was 8 when he got it he is now 12 and he has not relapsed (touch wood) Changing to the raw meaty bone diet really helped him i hope your dog gets better soon.
abby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2010, 03:30 PM   #18 (permalink)

Tacrolimus ointment is a much less expensive alternative to cyclosporine. Apply thin film to affected area ONCE a day.
$58.15 plus shipping from panthermeds.com for the generic .1% 30 gram tube which ought to last 2-3 months.
-and- on the web
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2010, 09:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I also had a dog with fistulas. There is a support group on yahoo groups calld PF-L or something like that - it was a very good group. Mine had surgery but he was 7 or 8 at the time and it did the trick for him....but I wouldnt think of it on an older dog.

He could NOT tolerate RMBs; he would get bloody mucousy stools but did well on a fish based diet and I always gave him metamucil to keep things moving just right.

I agree - my dog was MISERABLE with them.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #20 (permalink)

Default Perianal fistulas

My dog has this i've been dealing with this for about two years. He is on Atopica 100mg now just once a day and I also use a cream Protopic oitment 0.1% on the area once a day. I can see how painful it is for him, the vet and I have been working to keep it under control (since it seems like it will never go away) and my pocket is hurting it is expensive. We haven't heard about diets though and I am new to this website if anyonwe colud please direct me in that path. I also have a female GSD but she doesn't seem to suffer from this (thank God) any help would be great thank you
Regina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.