How Soon To Bring Puppy To Dog Park - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2008, 08:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to Nikkoli110
Default How Soon To Bring Puppy To Dog Park

Hello everyone! I was wondering how early we can bring our pup to the dog park. We bring our girl there now a few times a week. I've seen lots of puppies there, and I'd like to socialize him lots and lots as soon as we can. He'll be 8 weeks when we pick him up Saturday. He just had his puppy booster DA2PP, and will need the second at 10 1/2 weeks. I'd really like to take him ASAP but wanted to see if I should wait until a certain age or after a certain vaccine? Thanks!
Titan all black GSD 2 years old
Nikkoli110 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2008, 08:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Re: How Soon To Bring Puppy To Dog Park

Personally I would say NEVER. WAY too much chance of a puppy being traumatized by strange dogs.

If you MUST take him, I wouldn't take him until AFTER 16 weeks when he gets his LAST "puppy shot".

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
BlackGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2008, 08:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Oh maybe I should add too, there is also a small dog section of the park where some people bring their pups in. Theres usually no one bigger than a beagle in there. Thanks!
Old 09-23-2008, 08:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Skype™ to CookieTN

Pretty much after he gets all his vaccinations.
But be ye careful! Sometimes people bring not-so-well-behaved dogs to the park. A bad experience can hinder socialization, so be warned!
Have fun!
CookieTN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2008, 09:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: CookieGSD
Sometimes people bring not-so-well-behaved dogs to the park. A bad experience can hinder socialization, so be warned!

And small dogs are usually WAY worse than the bigger ones. It isn't the "size" of the dog that worries me, it is the ATTITUDE.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

If you want to socialize your pup, take it to a puppy obedience class. It will get to learn how to meet other dogs and everyone should be watching their dogs. Dog parks don't have anyone that is in charge and having your pup bullied or traumatized by another dog, big or small, may make things difficult for it in the future. It's a chance you take.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Ah-ha, I see what you are saying. We bring Katie alot, she loves to herd, and its like she goes to work once she gets there. But I do understand, maybe we'd be better off starting in a puppy classes and then see how that goes? We do have alot of other things planned, I am bringing him into my niece's preschool class to let him be around kids (plus Rylee told them all about the puppy so they were very happy when I asked if it would be ok!) I'm also bringing him to my work to meet everyone there and see all the different things. Maybe he'd be better off walking with us and meeting the dogs on the trail?
Old 09-23-2008, 09:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It is generally considered "safest" to keep baby puppies AWAY from areas that strange dogs frequent. (such as dog parks, petco and petsmart, rest areas ect...)

But, IMO it is also not good to keep them in a "bubble" until 16 weeks like some folks do. You just need to be carefull.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to VectorSketcher

I am agreeance with everyone else about the dog park. I brought our oldest there when he was 5 months old and we were attacked by a pitt/boxer mix, the owner couldn't control him, it was a bad scene and now Riddick has a scar on his nose from a bite the dog gave and I have a scar on my leg from getting in the middle (against my will, my baby ran between my legs and we all went tumbling over). Was a bad scene, I am against dog parks now, I like the puppy class socialization idea much better. Dog parks, I feel, house too many unknown risks. I know the socialization is important for a young pup, so we make lots of play dates for pup now, dogs we know, and we take her everywhere with us to meet new people.
Bishop-10yr Cat
VectorSketcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2008, 09:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

why not take your puppy to puppy classes?? start a play group at your house. if you start a play group at your house make sure everybody has their shots. our dog park has a requirement that the dogs be 6 months old before attending. there's also a small dog section. we stopped taking our boy to the dog park because the dogs were to aggressive. there's a huge clearing in the woods were walk and people gather there with their dogs. the dogs there play really nicely. there's also a creek that provides lot's of entertainment. before you take your puppy to the dog park ask your Vet what shots he should have before going there. i would also ask my breeder. my trainer and breeder were against the dog park. i also wouldn't take my dog to the pet store untill he had all of his shots. the one time i had him in a pet store before he had all of his shots i carried him. be carefull where you take him without him having his shots. good luck with the new puppy. puppy's are sooooooooo much fun. one more thing. after your puppy get's it's last shot i would wait a week after the last shot before going to the dog park.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.