GSD vs king shepherds - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2008, 09:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default GSD vs king shepherds

What is everyones opion on a GSD or a king shepherd which is better?? And why?
rocky30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2008, 09:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Re: GSD vs king shepherds

GSD. For one thing, King Shepherds are oversized... the 'breed founders' crossed in larger dog breeds to make a "BIG" dog that looks like a GSD. Also, I like the temperament of a real GSD, I don't want a GSD that acts like something else.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

http://www.amysacres.com/docskingshe...edstandard.htm

Info is found above on the King Shepherd.

I personally am not into the giant breeds of dogs. So a 75 pound dog is fine for me.

Quote:
Quote:The King Shepherd breed began its development in 1996. The original vision was of an extra large or giant-sized German Shepherd. The vision included differences in temperament, conformation and size — as compared to the German Shepherd. The German Shepherd is the foundation of the King Shepherd.

The first rare breed organization that recognized the King Shepherd was the American Rare Breed Association (ARBA), followed by International Rarities & North American Kennel Club (NAKC). Its definition on how a G1 generation King Shepherd could be produced was by “breeding a King to a German Shepherd; breeding a King to a Shiloh Shepherd (another "rare breed" which is influenced by the German Shepherd); and breeding a German Shepherd to a Shiloh Shepherd.” Originally, the King Shepherd was produced by selective breedings of specific bloodlines of German Shepherd dogs that deviated from the AKC “ideal” German Shepherd Standard of the Breed. Using the Shiloh Shepherd was disallowed several years ago.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2008, 09:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

GSD. For one thing, I worry enough about my dog's joints as it is - I don't want a giant breed mainly b/c of that. I love big dogs, but the worry of hip dysplasia, etc isn't worth it to me.

For another thing - if it ain't broke, why fix it?
kbigge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2008, 09:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Doesn't the King Shepherd/ Shiloh Shepherd have a lot of health issues, thought I had read this on a thread on I believe it was Shiloh Shepherds.
shepherdbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2008, 09:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

There also seems to be various temperament issues with King Shepherds. A common practice was to to use "out crosses" to bring the larger size in. Many times using oversized gsd's with no regards for health or temperament issues.

We have a King Shepherd, and while we love him dearly, he comes with all the temperament and nerve issues that is not uncommon in these dogs.
Maxwell Brown ~
DinoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2008, 10:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There is a shiloh at my CGC training class and she is one yr. old. She is smaller than Onyx (20 mos) and very hyped up, reactive. But she is a beautiful dog! Owner said she is a shiloh breeder.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

A lot of people think they want a GSD, but what they really want is a 100 to 130lb dog that looks like a German Shepherd and doesn't have all those troublesome drives. Seems to me like the King and Shilohs were created to fill that niche. I wish more people would buy King and Shilohs rather than buying GSDs and then dumping them at a year old because they can't handle the drives, or purposefuly breeding oversized GSDs for the pet market.

At the Bridge:
Cash van der Animal Shelter 2006-2010
Emoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2008, 11:07 AM   #9 (permalink)

I continue to learn so much here. Working from the rescue standpoint, I've not had the privilege of picking or choosing which large breed came to my home forever. In addition to some mixed, I have had AKC, ARB, etc., dogs as well. I know I'm now experienced with Shilohs, Kings, and just "plain old" GSDs. There are some striking differences but the heart, I believe, is the same. From my layperson vantage point, I think Emoore has an excellent point, especially since there are now a lot of Kings and Shilohs out there needing homes.
JakesDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2008, 11:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Perhaps. But some of the Shilos and Kings are high drive dogs. Just because of the size does not mean they are docile like many of the other large breed dogs. They are essentially a big gsd with everything that can come with that. My king has over the top ball drive, more then my German Showline dog, he is also fear aggressive and very suspicious of any and all strangers. Not say all of them are like this but it is a common denominator in may of them.
Maxwell Brown ~
DinoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.