Puppy Checklist - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2008, 10:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Puppy Checklist

I can't wait for Neb to be old enough to come home! Only a little bit more!

I want to make sure I have everything I'll need for him - I made a list, if you can look at and offer suggestions or anything I'm missing, please let me know

HAVE:
-collar
-lead
-toys (puppy kong, puppy kong w/fabric, small rubber chicken, and a little green bone)
-dishes
-lifejacket for canoe trip in July (I was worried they'd sell out of smaller sizes, I think it will fit him at 11.5 weeks)
-box of THK Embark

NEED TO GET:
-tag
-harness (want him to try it on)
-more toys
-Orijen puppy kibble (will buy closer to)
-crate
-soft-sided crate (for trips)

and then he'll need shots (he's had his first set) and flea/hw treatment as well as a microchip.

thanks!
Cats Mitch RIP; Lear; Esme (refugee)
Nikolai & Eco the bunny couple extraordinaire
jarn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2008, 10:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Re: Puppy Checklist

Great list! And I'm glad to see you're already planning some fun activities for your pup.

The only things I see missing are some simple grooming tools---a brush for his coat, a toothbrush, a tool for nails (either clippers or grinder), and some puppy shampoo.

Start a regular routine of grooming with your pup while he is small. Puppies don't actually need that much grooming (puppy fuzz doesn't shed much), but if you wait until he is older and larger to start grooming, he will not be as easy to handle. This is especially important with nails, teeth and ears. Many adult dogs that weren't conditioned to having these parts fooled with as pups simply won't submit to it. They have to be sedated or restrained to have their nails trimmed.

Good luck with your new pup!

(Have you found a puppy kindergarten class or something similar to enroll in? They are great for socializing with other people and puppies. Worth the money.)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18...shepherd_4.gif Luca says, "Arf!"
tracyc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2008, 10:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thanks! Phew!

I actually have a couple of nail clippers (one for the dogs, a smaller one that I use for the cats/rabbits/guinea pigs that should be perfectly puppy-sized), and a couple of brushes/combs that I can use on the little guy. Though, Luc is a dog that I can't clip his nails on my own - he freaks out - apparently, a shelter dog thing - that, combined w/both dogs having dark nails, means I usually take them in to get their nails done instead since I worry about cutting the quik.

Do you wash your puppy regularly? I hadn't thought of that. If nothing else, it'd be good to get him used to it.

We're going car camping for 3 days at the end of June, and then doing a 5.5 day canoe trip in Temagami in mid-July - since he might not be housetrained yet and I'm not having accidents in my new tent (I got a tarptent! Swoon! ....b/c I don't already have enough tents), I figured a soft-sided crate will be perfect, and can fit in a canoe pack.

I'm looking for puppy classes - I found a trainer I'm interested in that's close by, but the class starts June 4, and I'm in Montreal at a FR trial June 6-8 (though now I'm watching the Grand Prix on the 8th w/the bf), so he's coming home after that weekend. I'm hoping they'll add in another class, if not, I will probably find somewhere else.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote: Do you wash your puppy regularly? I hadn't thought of that. If nothing else, it'd be good to get him used to it.
Not regularly...but if they get stinky, they get a bath. But as puppies, I make a point to give a couple of baths before the age of 18 weeks or so whether they need it or not---just to get them used to it. Make it fun. Lots of treats, praise, calm voice. Same with all grooming rituals. Start them early enough, and do it with enough positive reinforcement, and you can get them to do anything. My dogs love to be vacuumed! Seriously!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18...shepherd_4.gif Luca says, "Arf!"
tracyc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2008, 11:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

There's a vacuum at the dog pool where Teagan goes for her hips, it's on reverse to help dry them after their post-swim shower....Teagan loves it, Luc....he leaves wet

One other quick question - I was just talking to the vet's office. They said I should be careful about taking Neb in public until he's had his last set of shots at 16 weeks!

Don't you need to socialize them before that? 4 months seems awfully old. I thought they'd already have gone through one fear period by then!

I was going to take him on the camping trips, and out to places (like Home Depot, there's one a 5 minute walk away), and on the bus/streetcar/subway, as well as to the bf's triathlons, but I was going to be careful about letting him socialize w/strange dogs (i.e., not allow it) and not let strangers maul him w/affection.

Is my plan okay? It seems to me like if I waited until 16 weeks I'd really miss out on a lot of socialization opportunities.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I think you need to be careful frequenting spots where a lot of dogs congregate-like dog parks, off leash parks, favorite poop sites, etc. I think your camping adventures are fine-and sound like loads of fun. I believe the avoidance is more other dogs and possibly wildlife but the people events should be okay. Interested in what others have to say on this.

Some vets will tell you exactly what yours did, others will say after the second/third series of shots.

With acclimating with water, one of the things I did with Kayla was play in the sprinklers with her a lot, and let some of the neighborhood kids play with her in a kiddie pool out front-getting both water fun and some socialization with the kids. Now that we're on water rationing out here and I'm planning on a new puppy in the very near future, I may need to come up with some other kind of water adventures for the new puppy.

Kayla 02/12/05-09/22/14

Lancer 05/01/08
Kayla's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2008, 11:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

okay, thanks. i wasn't planning on taking neb to any dog parks (i don't take my adults either), or anywhere where i saw strange dogs congregating - there will be a few other dogs at the triathlons, but i thought worst comes to worst i'll pick the little guy up. i thought camping, especially on the canoe trip, would be okay. i'd keep him on-leash on portages and i've already picked up a long line (forgot that on the list) for in-camp.

i was actually wondering about buying a sprinkler and doggy pool. i'd like to teach him to swim to learn young - teagan loves to swim and it's great to see her enjoying herself. we're still teaching luc, who obviously did not learn young.

neb's foster home said he'd be fine after the second set of shots (which he should get shortly after i get him).
Old 05-29-2008, 11:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think your vet's advice is good but I understand what you mean about socialization. The primary issue with taking a puppy out is parvo - it lives in the ground forever and it's all over the place. It does not require direct contact with another dog to contract. Just sniffing where a dog with parvo pooped 10 months ago can do it. So keeping your puppy away from other dogs isn't the issue that keeping your puppy away from places other dogs have been is.

I would not take a puppy anywhere near places like Petsmart or a dog park until they had had 3 sets of shots and were at least 4-5 months old and even then I'd stay away from the grass. I also don't let my puppy's feet touch the ground at the vet clinic or other heavy dog traffic places until at least that age (which gets tiring when it's a large breed puppy but better than parvo!)

But that doesn't mean you can't socialize your pup and you're right to want to do that. I'd suggest inviting lots of people over to visit, different kinds of people, different sizes of people. Adult dogs with a known history are okay. Go to friend's houses where you know there haven't been any sick dogs and let the puppy play in the yard and meet all of them. And there are some public places you can take your pup and either carry him or put him in a cart - although here again, I would put something down in the cart for him and avoid places like Petsmart where the carts are probably as germy as the floor.

Hope that helps! Congrats on your new baby!
pupresq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2008, 12:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

that's very helpful, thank you.

none of my dogs will go to a dog park....i took luc to one when i first got him, and leaving aside that it was terrible for him, i wasn't very impressed by the park. it would've been less terrible for him if i understood more how stepping up as a leader would help him over his fear of strange dogs, but it was in the first few weeks i had him and i wasn't yet that knowledgable.

based on the parvo stuff - it sounds like camping will be okay (campsite will be dirt, if that makes any difference), but i will keep him away from 'common' areas of the campground. we'll do some hiking when we're car camping, and i figured to let him meander a bit on the trail but that he'd mostly be carried.

what i'm going to do for carrying him hiking is the same i'll do for running - he'll be a runner when he's bigger, but in the meantime when i go out w/luc i'll use a snuggli i have (i used to have a kitten w/mega-e and stuck her in there after she'd drank her food so i could rock her and get the food to go down).

but yes, i want to travel lots of different ways with him, though'll i'll carry him while he's small, so he gets used to it and is comfortable.

thanks very much! yup, i'm very excited for him to come....i have to keep stopping myself from bugging the foster home everyday, it's a good thing they live across the city
Old 05-29-2008, 12:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

He should be fine after his second set of shots. That's all I get for my puppies. And I doubt the incidence of parvo is very high in the Ontario wilderness.

He should be able to do a lot of walking on his own. Chama started 4-5 mile walks with me and Massie when she was 5 weeks old. The first week I carried her most of the way but then she started walking on her own (by clear choice). She did her first backpacking trip when she was 12 weeks and she had no problems, even up at the high altitudes.

I agree with starting swimming early. I have not found that kiddy pools (unless they're really big) transfer to the swimming thing since they just splash around in the pool while their feet are always on the bottom. I have found that taking them swimming as young puppies works really well.

Oh, and my new tip on stuffy toys: hit yard sales. Rafi has significantly increased his collection at a very small impact to my wallet! Plus he gets to pick them himself!

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.