Puppy itching everywhere - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Puppy itching everywhere

Puppy itching everywhere, has horror scabs and red marks all over stomach. What could this be? A food allergy?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0892_1497220404856.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	427674   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0921_1497220551905.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	427682  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 07:46 PM
Elite Member

Could be a number of things and can't be diagnosed over a website. I would bring the puppy to the vet. Don't let the little guy suffer. Good luck...

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 12:52 AM
Elite Member

To the vet. Poor little guy. That is pretty severe and could lead to a secondary bacterial infection. Lots of possible allergens out there, fleas, environmental, food. But this needs some attention by a doc.

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 08:27 AM
Crowned Member

Yes, get your pup to a vet for diagnosis!

But Please Do NOT allow any more vaccinations until this is cleared up.

Instructions on vaccinations state that only "healthy" dogs should be vaccinated. And Your pup is not in a healthy state at the moment.

From Tamara Hebbler, DVM, holistic consulting vet (San Diego):
"The most disturbing, relatively routine, veterinary practice is vaccinating ill or compromised animals. I am appalled that this is still happening yet I hear from my clients that it is more the norm than the exception.
Vaccinating a stressed or ill dog violates our Hippocratic Oath: Above All Do No Harm.

When an animal is going in for surgery or chemo, or has an autoimmune disease or neoplastic condition [a tumor], or even a chronic immune challenge such as allergies or endocrine/metabolic diseases, they are at a high increased risk to an adverse reaction to any vaccine.

I liken such vaccination to playing Russian Roulette with an animal’s immune system — with 5 of the 6 barrels loaded, not just 1.

If negative reactions are severe enough, and immediate, most people will connect the reaction to the shot. However, if the reaction develops over a few weeks or months, you may not tie it to the shot – and your vet probably won’t either.

In standard veterinary practice, we have brief appointments and are very busy, I regret to say, treating many of the dis-ease states that we as a profession, with the help of the pet food industry, have created. It is only through laborious record review that I made the connection.

Be bold and stand up for your pet especially when he or she is not feeling well. Just say NO to vaccinations and start researching."

Read more vet's statements about this topic here: Vaccinating Sick Dogs and Cats: A Recipe for Bad Reactions | Truth4Dogs

Moms
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

So I went to get her checked out, and the vet said she has mites. Did a skin scraping and confirmed. Prescribed her some nexgard and antibiotics to reduce the inflammation. Along with some shampoo to help her skin.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 09:37 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric565 View Post
So I went to get her checked out, and the vet said she has mites. Did a skin scraping and confirmed. Prescribed her some nexgard and antibiotics to reduce the inflammation. Along with some shampoo to help her skin.

Ahhhh, good old antibiotics.........Did the vet suggest Probiotics with them?

Antibiotics kill off the beneficial bacterial.

Since over 75% of the immune system lies in the gut (which fights off fungus, virus, infections, parasites, allergies and MANY other things) it is VERY important to keep it healthy.

Probiotics are given 2 hours away from antibiotics.

Here are 2 High Quality, Human Ingredient products made for dogs which I would suggest adding every day to help your pup:
Sunday Sundae (Digestive Enzyme & Pro-Biotic Combo: http://www.feedsentials.com/ (use the email to order)
Gut Sense (ProBiotic): http://dr-dobias-natural-healing-usa...ducts/gutsense

Note Nexgard Side Effects: The most frequently reported adverse reactions include vomiting, dry/flaky skin, diarrhea, lethargy or lack of appetite.

Moms

Last edited by Momto2GSDs; 06-13-2017 at 09:48 AM.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 10:12 AM
Crowned Member

what kind of mites?

this does not look like common demodectic mange

wrong areas --- wrong look

nexgard? why ? this is for fleas and ticks -- which have noting to do with mange mites
which are a symptom of a depressed immune system

one of the side effects for nexgard is itching and lethargy

I am surprised the vet didn't resort to ivermectin , the standard go-to

so the immune is getting another hit

mites , demodectic , are ever-present part of the skins own eco-system
and like bacteria are kept in check by a strong immune system

improve diet , particularly good clean protein , eliminate starchy carbohydrates
provide anti oxidant - vitamin C - real stuff please -- and Vitamin E - again real stuff please

provide organic sulfur in the form of MSM , garlic (safe levels)

wash dog with totally safe Demodex shampoo --- or Selsun Blue fortified -- or a daily wetting down
with BORAX

most important though is to improve the dog's health/immune status .

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 01:10 PM
Crowned Member

Carmen, NexGard is proving to be very effective on demodex mites:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4807374/
and
Nexgard® or Bravecto® for Canine Demodicosis - Pet Dermatology Clinic

I'm seeing it prescribed instead of ivermectin more and more by vets who follow the emerging research. This is a good advancement, as the ivermectin dose that was used to treat demodex was extremely high (and thus prone to side effects). The NexGard seems to be very well tolerated by a lot of dogs -- we haven't been seeing adverse reactions to it in rescue, and those dogs tend to be the most vulnerable and prone to bad reactions because of immune problems. It knocks down the mite population, giving the body some time and space to recover.

HOWEVER, our rescue's vet also often does sulfur dips too -- this isn't standard (most vets only do them for ringworm). Experience with lots of very severe demodex cases has shown they heal far faster if they get sulfur baths -- which I think meshes with your own experience regarding MSM delivering the sulfur internally.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 05:57 PM
Crowned Member

thank you for that information Magwart

and " Experience with lots of very severe demodex cases has shown they heal far faster if they get sulfur baths -- which I think meshes with your own experience regarding MSM delivering the sulfur internally."

Sulfur seems to be very important and very time honored - the go to solution back to the early 1900's

Carmen

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 06:37 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
Sulfur seems to be very important and very time honored - the go to solution back to the early 1900's
I thought it was an oddball thing our vet figured out because she treats so many rescue dogs with severe skin problems until I read one of your messages on MSM and had an "aha!" moment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page