German Shepherds Forum banner

Introducing: Echo Vom Fullforce (11 weeks)

4K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  sanjo 
#1 ·
Echo Vom Fullforce."Luna" Born Feb 4th 2017. Female Sable, West German Working Line.

Sire: Simple pedigree chart for Dexter vom Eisernen Kreuz (2464011)

Dam: Simple pedigree chart for Pitta van de Zeelberg (2017614)

She's going on 12 weeks old and things are going well. Potty training has been great and she's finding her place in our pack. Hopefully things continue to improve - we're just working on socializing and having fun for the next month - then we'll start more formal training. I've been feeding her most of her meals by hand 'working for her food' - she seemed to prefer it from early on, so I've continued with it. She works for 2 of her 3 feedings a day. (sometimes all 3 if I can tell she's craving more) We work on luring and touch pad work - but after a few weeks she's almost robotic with this stuff. I can mix it up but it's like she's a step a head and knows what I'm going to do - probably my subconscious body language or something, but it feels like we really connect on some of these sessions. Other than that it's potty breaks every 3 hours and light play in the back yard a few times a day - (30-40min sessions) or whenever she starts to get tired. Grab a drink, a little love - then in the crate to sleep and stay out of trouble.

We're just focusing on house/family manners right now - and getting her as much exercise as I can - I swear she'd play all day if I let her. We're signed up for the "Puppy Star' classes at a local trainer - just for some extra socialization and 'trainer training' - For only being with us a few weeks she's come a LOOOONG way from those first few days.

After the first night of no sleep and some PTSD flashbacks to when we had the twins as babies (and a 3yr old) - I was like - WHAT IN GODS NAME HAVE WE DONE!? - but things are looking pretty great now. My wife has been really awesome with the pup too. She's taking her out, feeding her - playing a little bit - but that pup looooves daddy. I hope she stays that way - I'm doing my best to treat her well and cut her some extra slack, she's just a baby after all. :)

The biting though - the constant, 24/7 biting. I've yelped, I've said ouch loud and walked off - I've done everything but bite her little butt back... and the biting...omg, haha. I mean I was prepared but... no I wasn't - neither were the rest of he family for that matter. That's probably the biggest ongoing thing but I think if we stay the course and keep redirecting her onto toys - it will get better. right? I've heard after teething it gets a little easier anyway. **** them milk teeth are sharp though, I don't remember puppy teeth being so painful, lol. She just loves to mouth stuff, depending on how worked up she is from playing depends on how hard she will bite. If she gets me good and I yell 'HEY! OUCH!' she acknowledges it and I feel like there's some progress - but I think some of it just has to be her testing the limits.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Luna looks great! Will she carry a ball, toy? If so that will keep her from biting you and your family. I've always taught my pups to stuff their mouths with a pacifier. And play lots of tug to get the need to bite out of the system.
In a couple weeks her coat is going to change, I hope you update when that happens, I look forward to see how she colors out!

Reactions: sanjo
#11 ·
I haven't taught her to carry anything yet - we're playing tug with the 6ft leash on and I'm working on calling her back while tugging the leash and clapping - while backing away. She's 50/50 on that but I figure it will get better over time. She's starting to bite hard on the tugs without getting too aggressive, I can lift her off the ground with no bite slip on her first strike after the recall.

I will have to post a video later of us playing with her tug. She will 'out' , sit and wait until I release her for the toy at 11.5 weeks. I usually only wait a few seconds before I release her but it's hilarious to watch her. We started working with 'wait' on her touchpad the second week - I think using the touchpad for starting that process really sped it up. I'll get a video maybe today - we're planning to take her to the lake to dig/play - I'll bring a couple toys along. :D

#10 ·
Good looking pup! Enjoy the ride :-D

Reactions: sanjo
#16 ·
He looks amazing, Gator.

I hope our girl darkens up like that.

Dexter is really dark and the dam was completely black - so fingers crossed :)

She's already darkening up on her back, tail and head - I'll get some updated pics soon.

We went to run her at the beach this afternoon but it got rained out like as soon as we got there - so we went to TSC for some socializing. So no pics for today - this week looks kinda iffy for rain but the next nice sunny day I'm busting out the camera. :)

#20 ·
Here's a short video of one of our sessions in the back yard.

I've had her now for about 4 weeks - we didn't really start any shaping/luring or anything for the first week (aside from crate training) - it was just potty training, house rules and getting use to the new hustle and bustle of our house. She's doing great with everything so far and I'm looking forward to the future :)

#23 ·
It's been a minute but I wanted to update some pics of my girl :)

Here's a short youtube of some of our training with the schutzhund group.

https://youtu.be/MMeVcy2rG90?list=UUD8_Rd89lMhGkoF_VnG1sLA

Haven't had a ton of time to work her the last month - but she's still doing great. :)

She's a real show stopper these days!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.