German Shepherds Forum banner

What coat type do you think my new pup will have??

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Fodder 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'll be bringing home my AKC GSD in May and Was wondering what coat type she will have. Dam is a standard coat sable and sire is a red and black true longcoat. She looks like a standard coat on her back, but has longer hair around her ears and tail. Thanks for the help!

See less See more
#2 ·
I can't see the picture, but if she's got longer fur around her ears, she's probably a longcoat. The shorter fur on her back is her puppy coat, the longer adult fur won't start coming in for a couple of months.

#4 ·
I'm not seeing the longer fur around the ears. Does the breeder know that the dam carries the longcoat gene? Both parents need to have it in order for any of the puppies to be coaties.

#5 ·
How old is your puppy? It can sometimes be difficult to tell until they're older, but one way is to compare it to the littermates. Here's a photo of Dena's litter, I think at about 6 weeks old:

There are two in the litter - can you see the differences? Dena is the puppy in the back, and her brother to the right in the foreground with the green ribbon is the other coatie.

#6 ·
Here's one of Keefer:

The breeder took this before she sent him to us at 9 weeks old, so he's probably 7 or 8 weeks here.

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks for your help! Here are some current photos at 5 weeks! Maybe these will give you a better idea. We vist her every week and can't wait to see the dog she will grow into!

Attachments

#9 ·
He's a bit fuzzy. He could be a standard coat with a long-coat gene. Which means he may be a little more plush, but not a long coat. If he carries the gene though, if he is bred to a bitch with the gene, then will likely produce it.

I think we will need lots of pictures as he develops to give us better info though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.