Stairs? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Stairs?

I'm curious what other owners do. I live in a split level house and I use a baby gate to keep Hercules on the main floor which is our kitchen, my office, master bedroom but to get outside for him to potty you have to go down the stairs from our deck. Right now I carry him up and down the stairs but I realize that this will have to end very soon as he'll start to weigh more than I can carry. He already hates be carried up and down the stairs anyways. I just don't want to risk him injuring his hips. Does anyone else have a similar situation? Luckily winter is over *fingers crossed* so the deck won't be icy anymore but should I maybe leash him and walk him up and down the stairs so he doesn't race up or down them?

Also here's some updated photos!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170413_165808_815.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	418641   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170412_191941_428.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	418649   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170419_124749_920.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	418657   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170417_145557_897.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	418665  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 04:28 PM
Knighted Member

Carry him until he can get up and down on his own. If you can't, get a dog ramp.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Oh I should probably clarify it's not like 4 steps. It's you access the backyard from the 2nd floor. So it's a full staircase. He can go up and down them, I had just read somewhere that it wasn't good for puppies to go up and down stairs so that's why I was asking.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:26 PM
Knighted Member

It's not good until at least three months this old, but if you can't carry him is there another solution? You also don't want him to fall. A friend lost a puppy falling down stairs.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana GSD View Post
Oh I should probably clarify it's not like 4 steps. It's you access the backyard from the 2nd floor. So it's a full staircase. He can go up and down them, I had just read somewhere that it wasn't good for puppies to go up and down stairs so that's why I was asking.
I sincerely don't think you need to worry about stairs. If that were the case there would be a lot more dogs with bad hips running around. Sounds like an old wives tale to me.
cliffson1 likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:15 PM
Master Member

I have a similar situation as you. We have a wrap around porch and you have to go down a flight of stairs to get to the fenced back yard. I carried my puppies down until they got too heavy and it was more of a threat of me dropping them. My dogs are 2.5 and 1 year old, and neither have any orthopedic problems that I am aware of. I'd just be careful your pup doesn't fall and try to keep him from racing down or leaping off the steps (easier said than done).
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:20 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline5 View Post
I sincerely don't think you need to worry about stairs. If that were the case there would be a lot more dogs with bad hips running around. Sounds like an old wives tale to me.
You should read more

The 10 most important things to know about canine hip dysplasia - The Institute of Canine Biology

Puppies raised on slippery surfaces or with access to stairs when they are less than 3 months old have a higher risk of hip dysplasia,while those who are allowed off-lead exercise on soft, uneven ground (such as in a park) have a lower risk (Krontveit et al 2012). Dogs born in summer have a lower risk of hip dysplasia, presumably because they have more opportunity for exercise outdoors (Ktontveit et al 2012). On the other hand, dogs from 12-24 months old that regularly chase a ball or stick thrown by the owner have an higher risk of developing dysplastic hips (Sallander et al 2006).
cloudpump likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebrench View Post
I have a similar situation as you. We have a wrap around porch and you have to go down a flight of stairs to get to the fenced back yard. I carried my puppies down until they got too heavy and it was more of a threat of me dropping them. My dogs are 2.5 and 1 year old, and neither have any orthopedic problems that I am aware of. I'd just be careful your pup doesn't fall and try to keep him from racing down or leaping off the steps (easier said than done).
Yes! That's exactly like our house. Good to know, then I'll just continue onward like I have been and then when he gets too heavy I'll just try and make sure he goes slow down the stairs.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
It's not good until at least three months this old, but if you can't carry him is there another solution? You also don't want him to fall. A friend lost a puppy falling down stairs.
Oh that's awful. Yes I definitely don't want to him to fall and no there isn't really another solution other than me carrying him until he gets too heavy. I could always make my husband carry him when he gets too heavy for me but that may be hard if he's not home. He's a week shy of 3 months and he still light enough to carry now. I was thinking maybe after that making sure he's leashed while we go down the stairs.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:48 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana GSD View Post
Oh that's awful. Yes I definitely don't want to him to fall and no there isn't really another solution other than me carrying him until he gets too heavy. I could always make my husband carry him when he gets too heavy for me but that may be hard if he's not home. He's a week shy of 3 months and he still light enough to carry now. I was thinking maybe after that making sure he's leashed while we go down the stairs.
I don't mean to scare you. Her dog was running and fell. There were bigger dogs involved. I think we need to do the best we can with what we have. If you can't lift the dog easily as he gets bigger, then it's safer for him to walk himself. I have thrown toys for my dog and so far his hips are fine. He climbed in and out of a car before it was really safe. Ours had to go up some stairs by thee months and I just did it. He refused to walk down them so I had to carry. When he was too heavy, I led him up and down slowly until he was bigger.
Montana GSD likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page