German Shepherds Forum banner

Puppy Crate E pen set up in house and yard kennel space help!!!!

713 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  karlakinsky 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,

It's been 12 years since I had a GSD pup( My beloved 11 year old GSD passed this past year). I am getting ready to get a pup in July and trying to plan ahead and remember those wild and crazy puppy days(lol). I need your advice as far as puppy readying my house. When my previous dog was a pup I had a crate in the kitchen and blocked it off with a baby gate( when I wasn't home). I also had a crate in my bedroom. Eventually when I survived puppydaze I didnt have to use either and my dog slept on his bed in my room or on a rug in front of the entry door to the house. My living situation has changed but I plan to have my puppy indoor when I'm not home and as he gets older he will be able to go inside and out as he pleases. My last dog even closed the sliding door when he went out( I wish I had taken a video of that). Also, I have a yardthat an unsupervised pup could get in a lot of trouble with. In the past I placed my young dog in a 30ft x 15ft long enclosed kennel outside when I wasnt home or when I had a get together bbq and folks were in attendance who didnt feel comfortable around dogs.

So my question is what set up works best for you? and why? What types of crates do you prefer? Do you use an e pen? How is your kennel configured? I have two spaces in the yard, one is a long dog run in the backyard 40 feet x 15 feet with a 6ft fence with a gate and runs along the fence to the street( this was almost never enclosed, filled with pebble and where my dog relieved himself). The secondary dog run has a metal gate and concrete floor and a 5ft' 7in fence adjacent to my neighbors fence. Neighbors who appreciated having a gsd next door.( my previous dog was never in the secondary kennel long eneough to have to relieve himself. One more thing I live in Northern California bay area and will be getting the pup in the summer so the climate from July until October ( so generally average high 80 and low 55 during that time)
I know this is a super long winding post but any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks everyone in advance for your suggestions. Feel free to ramble away. :)

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
We set up our expen in our bedroom for a rescued Irish Wolfhound, and it worked well as his bed (BIG guy!). However, when we set it up in our living room for our shepherd one day while we were gone a couple hours, she easily jumped up and tipped it. Made herself at home on the couch! The key is anchoring the cover in place to provide stability, which we didn't bother to do that day! :) It sounds like you have ample room to provide a nice outdoor place for your new pup.

#4 ·
We have 2 expens...one for daytime when we can't watch him that is inside, one outside for wherever we hang out and we move around from hot tube, to tables, chairs, etc..., and then have a crate for bedtime at night. He has a bed in our living room and our bed room for the times we are hanging out with him.
So, I guess, we have quite a few sets ups for our guy. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.