Long Plush or short - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:37 AM Thread Starter

Long Plush or short

Hi all,
Picked our pup yesterday from a litter of 5, 5 weeks old.
It's so hard to see what the coat colour and length will be like once there an adult.
Can anyone post similar coat lengths as a pup and now so we can see?
Any info appreciated.
We've called her luna.
Oh also she's from health tested hip scored parents and grandparents etc... My partner is so paranoid about hips, at 5 weeks they are still a bit wobbly and finding there feet, he doesn't understand this, can you please confirm this so he is reassured.
They were all playing and very active.
Thanks I'm advance.Long Plush or short-dsc_2804.jpgLong Plush or short-dsc_2801.jpg

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
MineAreWorkingline likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:09 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

If the color in the picture is more or less accurate to your pup's real color, he is a Blue, which is a Black dilute. His color won't change. Looks like a regular coat.

It is good that the parents were hip tested, but there is no guarantee when it comes to puppies. Even the best breeding pair with the best track record of producing sound pups may on occasion produce hip dysplasia. Though only breeding dogs coming from a line of dogs with good hips is an excellent way to reduce that chance.

What colour were the parents and the other pups in the litter?
Dracovich and Katie deeley like this.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Mum was black and tan, dad was black, pups were 2 black 2 blue 2 sable. 2nd litter and had no blues before so these 2 were unexpected,. Yes I've seen all registration papers and looked them all up online as proof.all under 10 on both sides for a quite a few generations. Hoping with good lifestyle and diet and limited excersice for the first 18 months I will do my best to minimise.i will also get her scored.
So will be mid length then you think? That's great.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:33 AM
Master Member

Beautiful puppy! Any GSD can get hip/elbow dysplasia as stated above, but it's much less likely if the parents and the dogs in the previous generations have been tested and received good scores. I'm no expert, but I don't think you usually start noticing signs of joint issues until the puppies are older.
And, wow, if I understood your post correctly, 5 weeks is really young to be separated from the mom and litter-mates. I am sure your pup will be wobbly for a while. I believe there are also environmental issues that can factor into a dog's development of hip/elbow dysplasia (too much exercise/jogging on hard surfaces, stairs, ect) so you might want to reduce those factors as much as possible also.
Katie deeley likes this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebrench View Post
Beautiful puppy! Any GSD can get hip/elbow dysplasia as stated above, but it's much less likely if the parents and the dogs in the previous generations have been tested and received good scores. I'm no expert, but I don't think you usually start noticing signs of joint issues until the puppies are older.
And, wow, if I understood your post correctly, 5 weeks is really young to be separated from the mom and litter-mates. I am sure your pup will be wobbly for a while. I believe there are also environmental issues that can factor into a dog's development of hip/elbow dysplasia (too much exercise/jogging on hard surfaces, stairs, ect) so you might want to reduce those factors as much as possible also.
She's still with mum don't worry and litter mates, don't get her for another 3 weeks I think.
Do you think her coat will be mid length? Does anyone have pics of pup this age and of older so I can see coat development?
Thank you for the replies.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:01 PM

Hip testing is great, but other issues come alone with breeders who breed for color.

Draco

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:11 PM
Master Member

Very cute puppy! Question though, if dam was black and tan and sire was black, how is it possible for there to be sable puppies in the litter? I didn't think that was possible with that combination of parental coloring.
Katie deeley likes this.

Tom
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracovich View Post
Hip testing is great, but other issues come alone with breeders who breed for color.
Didn't breed for colour, mum is a black and tan sable colour, and any color GSD or any breed prone to problems can still get them, like everyone says it's not just the genetics, it's lifestyle etc

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Clean-Air System View Post
Very cute puppy! Question though, if dam was black and tan and sire was black, how is it possible for there to be sable puppies in the litter? I didn't think that was possible with that combination of parental coloring.
Mum is black tan sable colouring, dad is black, not sure I'm afraid.im not a expert.i saw both.blues were unexpected.down to dna I guess and what they carry?

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Clean-Air System View Post
The breeder I got my pup from, the dam was black/red and the sire was all black and out of the ... I think six pups? One was a blue male so I guess it is possible though to say we were all surprised

To the OP, cute pup! I hope you manage to avoid any hip issues, I don't have anything else to offer besides that haha

Apollo; January 24th 2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page