German Shepherds Forum banner

Vaccine Question

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Momto2GSDs 
#1 ·
Rhone had all of his puppy vaccines before we picked him up (we got him when he was just over 12 weeks). He had them at 6, 9, and 12 weeks old.

I need to get his rabies vaccine, as it is required for his training class I am going to do. He is now almost 19 weeks old. I was reading that it is recommended they get another parvo if they had their last one before 16 weeks. Thoughts on this? The breeder said he was good for a year. So I'm not sure what to do when I get his rabies vaccine next week.

Thanks for the opinions.

Karla

#2 · (Edited)
I separate my personal dogs' rabies vaccine by 2-3 weeks from other vaccines. If you have the luxury of doing that, you reduce the risk of a reaction. Check with your vet about how urgent the extra parvo booster is (can it wait a few weeks, or does it need to be done now due to exposure risks). We don't have the luxury of separating the vaccines for the rescue dogs (often the shelters give them all at once before we pull, or else we have to get them done immediately unless they're sick and need to wait to get healthy first). We've never had a vaccine reaction yet...the risk of one is apparently pretty low (just not zero...).

Under CA law, you are required to vaccinate for rabies all dogs 4 mo. or older, so you really do need to do that now to be compliant.

#3 ·
So does that mean you think he needs the booster? Looks like my breeder follows this same vaccine schedule:

Canine Hepatitis (dhlp-P)

6 WEEKS - FORT DOGE: DURAMUNE/MAX 5-CVK (THE PUPPYSHOT)
9 WEEKS - FORT DOGE: DURAMUNE/MAX 5 CVK/4L (THE PUPPYSHOT BOOSTER) AND DEWORM WITH STRONGID
12 WEEKS - FORT DOGE: DURAMUNE/MAX 5 CVK/4L (THE PUPPYSHOT BOOSTER) AND DEWORM WITH STRONGID
12/14 WEEKS - RABIES, DRONTAL PLUS DEWORMER, PHYSICAL EXAM
24 WEEKS - HEARTWORM CHECK (NOT IN REQUIRED IN OUR REGION), FECAL EXAM FOR PARASITES, PHYSICAL EXAM.
ANNUAL - INCLUDING CORONA, BORDETELLA AND KENNEL COUGH, RABIES, HEARTWORM TEST, FECAL EXAM, PHYSICAL EXAM, HEARTWORM PREVENETIVE.

So my main question is does he need the parvo booster, or was this vaccine schedule okay and common practice?

#6 ·
Call your vet and ask if they offer titers.

Some do not and don't believe in them and will pressure you into getting your dog vaccinated. In that case, I would look for a new vet (holistic if possible).

Blood should be sent to Kansas State University Vet Labs. It takes 2 to 4 weeks for results.

Moms:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.