German Shepherds Forum banner

Kennel Flooring

3K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  brucebourdon 
#1 ·
We live on 3 acres and have no fencing. We are going to be setting up an outdoor 10x20 kennel for our puppy.

On one part, I plan to have a raised kennel flooring...however we need to decide what is best for the rest of the flooring. I don't want to have our grass and dirt, as there are a lot of rocks and I don't want the puppy to chew or swallow rocks. My husband is thinking those outdoor 12x12 stone tiles. Do you all think there is a better option?

I've seen the dog turf stuff, which is great, but is just way too expensive for an area that large.

#3 ·
Tile with paver sand in between will work.But tiles absorb heat and radiate it back on your dog so a shade cover would be mandatory.I wouldn't worry about a hard surface in a small area like that.He won't be running and jumping in there to cause harm.A small section of soft grass would be appreciated I'm sure.

#14 ·
#21 ·
I like the rubber horse stall mats much more than the ones with the holes, which are probably meant for people to stand on, and probably wouldn't be much of a barrier for an aspiring escape artist.

Look, the horse mats are nearly indestructible, and the are so heavy that they're difficult to move.

Fyi i put down fencing, then 12 x 12 concrete pavers, and topped it with the horse stall mats. No digging issues.

Do they get hot? In my mind beach sand or pavement seem to get much hotter, but in any case you want to provide decent shade for your dog, even if it's walking on nice cool grass being exposed to direct sunlight during the summertime is cruel treatment.

Good luck to you!
Bruce

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.