German Shepherds Forum banner

Game plan for new pup supervision

601 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  blackfinn 
#1 ·
I'm trying to figure out a good plan for what to do when I get my pup and need to go to work. We'll pick her up at 8 weeks and have arrange to be home a good amount the first week, but we can't take off completely and will have to go back to our normal schedule while she is still young anyway. My goals are to provide play, supervision, potty time when we can't be there while keeping her safe. We will be crate training, but on days where we need to be gone 4 hours or so at a time, I don't want to keep her crated that long. Confining to a larger puppy-proof area is not an option because I don't want to interfere with potty training and we rent our house and even puppy-proof areas have floors and things capable of being destroyed. But mostly, I hate leaving even my adult dog home that long. He goes to daycare on days when we both will need to be gone 6+ hours. The daycare is awesome. They take very young pups and keep them together and even help with potty training. All dogs are required to be up to date on vaccinations, fecals, etc. This would be a fantastic option if it weren't for my concern about still getting exposed to diseases. Another option would be a babysitter where we would take our pup and adult to someone's house (I have found several in our area with excellent experience/ reviews). The pup would still be exposed to other dogs, but only a couple, and confined to that person's home/ yard until vaccines are up to date. I would love to use this option, but again I don't know how safe this is prior to full vaccination. The last option would be to hire someone to come to our house to let the pup out/ potty/ play. This is definitely the safest from a communicable disease standpoint, but pup gets way less attention, and on days where we will both have to be gone 8 hours, I think we'd need at least 2 visits. What do you guys think? I tend to be more conservative as far as wanting lots of supervision, but it's very important to me and I just want to do the right thing for my dogs' mental and physical well-being.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.