German Shepherds Forum banner

Puppy Moving out of bedroom

4K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  mycobraracr 
#1 ·
Hello guyz, so my puppy is sleeping in her crate next to my bed , she still wakes up and whines sometimes in the middle of the night i just put my hand inside her crate shooshing her and she sleeps again. Yesterday i tried moving her outside to the living room with her crate so that she starts sleeping alone but she cried alot and i brought her back to my room. When do you think she will be fine to sleep outside my room because i do not want her to get used to sleeping in my room.

#7 ·
april said

" i do not want her to get used to sleeping in my room."

when you start a puppy the best thing is to start with whatever rules you want forever .

didn't want the pup in the bedroom , should have set up a crate where you wanted her to be.

april said

" but the problem is i have 1.5 year old baby" and " and also i have very annoying neighbors."

how are you going to manage.

Do you think it is time for a sober second thought whether this is a good time to have a pup?

seriously if things come to a head when the "pup" is 7 months old , when she is rambunctious and needs training , space , exercise -- precious TIME -- it will be harder to rehome the dog.
In addition the dog may have problems which the new home will have to fix.

the neighbours aren't going to change . They might make life difficult . They can vex the dog into barking or a laundry list of other things and then complain .

what do you think?

#9 ·
the pup is not 7 months of age (to my knowledge)

I was projecting into the future when an accumulation of frustration , unfriendly neighbours , time pressures , or hassles with the pup and baby-child interactions come to a head for a rehome solution, when it is more difficult to rehome.

maybe not the best time to have brought a pup into the house?

breeder might have people on the waiting list , IF , the dog was bought from a breeder.

someone suggested "Is there a chance you can schedule a family member to keep your baby overnight? Perhaps your parents or your spouse's, siblings, etc.?"

what is that?

#10 · (Edited)
That's a common sense suggestion if it's possible. And of course it's not for everyone. Not everyone lives near enough to relatives, has living relatives or wants to do it. If she's worried about her dog whimpering for a night waking her child up while it gets used to being in a crate, it's a perfect chance for a grandparent to get time with the grandchild and for the pup to get worked with.

This isn't a difficult or time consuming thing to get done if sleeping alone in the crate is the only issue they're having.

#13 · (Edited)
thank you April for that very reasonable answer.

place the crate wherever you want that pup to have its den retreat.
put pup in - go to bed .
make sure pup is taken care of so that there is no need for night time
potty breaks.

there are little units that you can buy that provide background "white noise"

handy for baby too .

I advocate for the dogs . I've seen too many at shelters or rescue given up for reasons like "got too big for the house/apt"

"moving" (yeah sure) etc etc.

as a breeder I like it when the prospective new owners have their ducks in a row -- that includes security in housing ,
approval of partner or family , finances, a commitment to training .

looks like you'll be just fine

#15 ·
No one stated the most obvious solution. Keep the dog in the bedroom. I insisted on keeping all my dogs the kitchen or another room. Then a trainer said keep the dogs in the bedroom. All my problems were over. My dogs were calmer, they slept better and so did I.

I spent too much time keeping neighbors happy. It's your dog and your house. As long as you make an effort to keep the dog quiet and away from their side of the house when you are gone, they need to get over it. My neighbors keep dogs outside that bark all the time. That is thoughtless. Keeping a dog indoors is as much as you should have to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.