German Shepherds Forum banner

what do need before my puppy comes?

789 views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  brookwoodgirl 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am getting a GS puppy in two weeks. She will be 10 weeks old and she is the first dog that my husband and I have ever had. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed.

Right now, I'm wondering about the stuff I need to make this transition as smooth as possible. She comes with an adjustable collar and a small crate.

Here's a list I compiled:
-- A bed
-- big rope tug toy
-- a leash
-- food dishes
-- grooming supplies
-- food
-- dog gate

Here are the things I'm not sure about:
-- other toys
-- some kind of thing for taking her in the car

Is there anything that I'm missing? And any specific brands/items of the above things that you would recommend?

For the bed, we were looking at this one a large wicker basket with insert from amish baskets .com It measures 36" x 24" x 9" tall. Is this big enough for an adult GS? The company told me it wasn't, but I want to make sure.

Alternatively, we might get a Kuranda aluminum dog bed. But I would need to know what size will be good for an adult GS.

I'm sure I will have tons of questions and I look forward to your help!!

See less See more
#2 ·
  • A dirty shirt from each of you that you have worn every day for the last week or more (put this in her crate)
  • Small, soft rope tug toy (puppy teeth are sharp, but their jaws are very weak and can't really play tug with a big rope)
  • Puppy Kong
  • Stuff to chew of all textures, shapes, and sizes: Pre-teething: soft, light-weight materials; Teething I: rough-textured/frozen materials; Post-Teething I: Tough, soft materials; Teething II: Hard materials (your puppy will tell you more, but I noticed those kinds of textures were common with Jack during those phases)
  • Toys that squeak (if that sound doesn't bother you)
  • A ball that fits into her mouth
  • A ball that's too big for her mouth -- or a JollyEgg/ball those are fun!
  • An alarm set for 2 hour intervals
  • Thread, sewing needle, basic skills in stitching rips and tears
  • Bandaids, lots of
  • Aspirin, or your headache medicine of choice
  • Xanax, or your anti-anxiety drug of choice
  • A formal agreement between you and your husband to swap duties each day for taking the puppy out in the middle of the night
  • Earplugs, for when it's not your turn to take the puppy out :)

For the bed, we just got Jack the largest, most comfortable and affordable pillow-style bed that the pet store sold. Worked well when he was small and at almost full size. We also have a folded, old blanket that we use in the living room.

I learned this with my cats, and I learned this with the dog: expensive stuff is rarely their most favored things. If it's cheap, it'll be their favorite.

For the car, you could get a second small crate. We went super lowtech and tied the leash to the headrest of the backseat to make a seatbelt. Probably not recommended, though.

#8 ·
Several nights of good sleep before your pup arrives home.
A bottle or two of wine or your favorite whiskey
A good sense of humor
Patience

I'd skip the expensive wicker bed until your pup is much older. Puppies love to chew these things up.
For your crate I would just go ahead and get a large on with a divider so as your pup grows you won't be replacing crates every couple of months.
Find a good vet. Your pup will need the rest of it's immunizations. A good vet is priceless
A good trainer experienced with GSD's
Enzymatic cleaner to clean up those little accidents until house training is completed.

Welcome to the forum. As per all new comers (especially with new pups) pictures will be required :)

#9 ·
Chew toys will save you as teething puppies need lots

All puppies love hooves

A split antler is also good

Bully sticks

Cow esophagus.

Also get toenail clippers or a dremel tool and use them every week taking off just a bit. You want to get the pup totally used to it.

Ditto for a brush/rake. A longcoat will need regular brushing to prevent snarls and matts. And it's important to get them used to having the foot hair trimmed as it can ball up and make for uncomfortable walking.

Some people think a flirt pole is great for tiring a pup.

Comfy shoes for all the taking out the puppy

A puppy play group. You may want to wait 4 months till full immunization, but see if you can connect up with some puppy friends. Dogs are social critters. And besides the great fun and socialization it provides an afternoon with a puppy play group means a quiet night

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.