German Shepherds Forum banner

Full Blooded GSD?

4K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  carmspack 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums. I'm hoping to get some help, I dealt with a breeder in NorCal, the paperwork (along with AKC reg) I received for my pup states she's pure breed but as we all know paper is just paper. However I will be posting pictures to showcase her and get your opinions. She's 5 months old and every time my GF and I take her hiking she gets misidentified by most and even at some dog parks owners flee thinking she's a wolf dog or coyote. Now I've looked up and down and left and right all over the web and I have found possible breeds she could be mixed with such as: grey wolf (both regular and Mexican), tamaskan, Czechoslovakian wolfdog (Vlcak). She has the facial features of a GSD but her paperwork said "Sable" when she was 2 months (when we got her) she was all brown with a black tip tail and now the markings are different with a white bib and very wolflike markings. I would like some feedback and maybe some advice as to whether we should contact the breeder, etc. Thanks everyone for any and all advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#5 ·
She is GSD, she sable... and she's beautiful!

If she is papered and from a reputable breeder - her light points are not enough to cause me to question her lineage at all.

If she is from a questionable source - then yes, she could be mixed. Did you see/meet the parents? What are their names (you can post pedigree)? Who was the breeder?

The chances are way greater than she's a less commonly marked PB than a vlcak, lol

Google "littlest hobo" ...that's basically your dog ;)

#7 ·
So a breakthrough in this case happened this morning, we have been looking for a brother for our pup and ended up on the AKC site and bam her ACTUAL litter mate brother popped up along with the breeders info. I contacted the breeder this morning and well I found out her father is white and her mother is full black BUT her mother is East German DDR/Czech German Shepherd which explains her patterns. We got our pup through what we thought was a reputable site but what we dealt with I wouldn't recommend that site to my worst enemy. That site made us feel the pup was from a puppy mill but after seeing the breeders info and speaking to her over the phone she is the real deal and my pup is full bred. Thank you everyone for all the great feedback. I was worried she was a potential F1 pup which are mostly a handful.

#20 ·
I'll admit I have limited exposure to Czech dogs. Ranger our male is mostly Cz and we have met 2 of his female siblings since maturity, both were "heavy boned", only slightly smaller than our boy. Not sure if this is typical? They also shared having a reversed mask.

#12 ·

Met with the breeders yesterday and I must say they're the real deal and top notch folks. My pups are full blooded GSD but from the Eastern German/Czech shepherd work line. They are absolutely amazing and extremely smart. Thank you everyone for the feedback.

#14 ·

This is the info for the litter but it has the AKC registration ID's for the parents. Once again these folks are top notch in my book and the fact that they went above and beyond to ease my concerns. The breeders are Sierra Foothill German Shepherds. They are a NorCal based breeder. We got our girl through PuppySpot.com and they were the reason for my concerns since they wouldn't allow us to speak to the breeder directly or even disclose who they were, but their sales reps were basically Danny Devito from Matilda sleazy. We got our boy directly from the breeder and that itself was the best experience I've ever had.

#16 ·
Yes - she is a typical sable puppy. They are born dark, turn light, then darken to near birth color.

You will find many opinions here as to what constitutes a "reputable" breeder. Most agree that breeders who are responsible and reputable do a minimum of health testing - certifying hips, elbows and DM status (still a bit controversial). Working titles and staying within type is another check box. Not breeding disqualifying colors yet another.....blue, liver and white are all disqualifying....people who breed whites with a "program" and developing lines with whites seem to be given a pass by most. Advertising "rare" colors, "old fashioned" and oversized dogs is another no no....Mixing show, work, ASL and pet lines wiht no discernable ties to any type for 3 for more generations is also a dead giveaway to a BYB...

The pup is cute and if you got AKC paperwork for her I would not worry....just tell people she is a sable - and that the original Rin Tin Tin was also a sable!

Lee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.