German Shepherds Forum banner

Should I feed him more?

906 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Timberdog 
#1 ·
14 weeks old, male, 32-33 lbs

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Aside the from the fact that you haven't provided what or how much you're currently feeding, the reason you think he needs to eat more, nor a top view shot..... my answer is No! His weight is on track and he looks fine, healthy and active.

#7 ·
That's what you're supposed to see. A GSD should have a nice tuck in the abdomen, and you should actually be able to see the last three ribs. From above, they should have a defined waist, and you should be able to feel the spine and ribs as you would feel the knuckles and bones on the back of your hand with your fingers held flat.

Personally, I would cut back just a little bit as he could stand to be a little leaner, but not much. I'm talking like a quarter of a cup or one less egg or something minor. If he starts looking thinner than described above, simply feed him a little bit more until he's at the right weight.

How much you feed him is going to change up and down as he grows. Sometimes, he won't need much food. Other times, it seems like you can't possibly give them enough.

So play it by ear. Just go by how the dog looks and feels.

#6 ·
I have been feeding him 3/4 raw diets and 1/4 kibbles (Acana large breed puppy). For raw diets, I feed him beef, chicken, turkey, pork, fish, eggs, various organs, meaty bones (chicken and duck) and eggshell. I will keep monitoring, as he grows and activity level increases, will feed him more, won't let him get thinner than now.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.