German Shepherds Forum banner

Introduction :) And a new baby!

811 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  le.tetrish 
#1 ·
Hi there!

I will be bringing home my boy in just under two weeks and I'm so excited. He is a White GSD whom I've already named Winchester and I'm happily nesting in preparation for his arrival. I'm taking off two weeks from work to help transition him to our home, but I will be going back to work full time as of January. My goal is to use crate training as a tool until he is house trained and able to have run of the place while I'm gone during the day. I also have three kids, two cats an a hubs. So it will be a full house he is coming into!

Admittedly I've not been a puppy mom in many many many many years... and I've not owned a GSD before. My hubs is former law enforcement so he is familiar with the breed and adores them. So far, our game plan is to make sure puppy gets a good 45 minute run/romp in the morning, another short one before leaving for work. Initially he will be crated for a few hours and I'll come home and spend about 30 minutes or so with him at lunch time, and then someone will be home from about 3pm onward. Evenings will have another 45 minute run/romp and lots of play time! I say run/romp because I know he shouldn't be really "running" hard at his age - but I basically mean that will be dedicated exercise time that will increase as his needs do.

We are investing heavily in his training (I live in an area that is ripe with working dogs used for security - so our training resources are amazing and plentiful) and I've been researching lots about the appropriate time to neuter etc. I'm going into this with eyes wide open knowing that puppies are HARD HARD work. I know the first few months (especially as we both work full time) are going to be challenging. But I'm also really looking forward to our new family member.

My biggest hang-up right now is the crate training, actually. I start a new job in January (I know the timing is not perfect, but it is just sort of out of my control). So while I'm hopeful that popping home at lunch will not be an issue - I'm worrying a little bit about it. I've read that kenneling (ie: leaving him in a puppy safe area with puppy pads for doing his business, etc., vs. a crate is an option, but I don't know if it will mess with crating him in the evenings? Or maybe I don't need to stress about crating and keep him to the puppy safe area? This is the one area that I'm torn on. I plan on discussing with our trainer (who is coming over to meet the puppy early on), but would welcome any feedback from seasoned owners that also worked FT and had a puppy.

I *did* try to search on the forum - but there were a lot of responses such as "well I am lucky that I can take them to work with me" or "well I pop in during lunch", lol. Either of those would, of course, be ideal. But I'm wanting to make sure I have a plan in place for *not* being able to pop home at lunch. I'm so sketched out by having a stranger come over, unlock my house and take my dog out, hahahaha.

<3

See less See more
#3 ·
:welcome: to you and your new puppy Winchester! I would suggest your option of having a puppy room but put the crate there also. Leave the crate door open with some toys. That way he will have a den and a place to sleep .

#4 ·
Hello! Congrats on your new family member. We have a white shepherd also! He's a great dog, mellower than other shepherds I have had.

I work full time and so does my husband, but I work weekend nights and my husband works regular hours so someone is almost always home. However, when the dogs were puppies, and we had to be away for some time, I'd ask my mom to come by in the afternoon and let the puppies out for a potty-break. Is there a close neighbor, friend, or family member who might come by midday until the puppy can hold his bladder all day? I'd only use potty pads as a last resort. I potty-trained a papillon on pee-pads and he was never 100% house-trained. (That's just my experience. I'm sure some breeds are harder to potty train than shepherds, and I imagine others have had success using potty pads.)

It's great that you have a trainer already. You sound prepared and ready for the challenge of having a WGSD puppy. I hope you post pictures when the little one arrives.

#6 ·
congrats!! I am bringing home my WGSD in a couple of weeks also!! Good luck with whatever you decide about the crate training - I'm in basically the same situation as you - both hubs and I work full time and are working out how one of us will be able to get home in the middle of the day every day.

#7 ·
I read in a few threads that having the pee pads will confuse the pup so i avoided using them at all and he was generally house trained within two weeks through the crate method. (As in he knew he wasn't allowed to go inside and had to find a way to tell us he had to pee) I had a few weeks before starting my job as well so I was able to get a good foundation down before starting to work full time. There are some sites that have dog walkers that have actual ratings and reviews (rover.com?) that may help you feel more comfortable with letting them in. Or really well established companies nearby. There is also daycare but your pup might be too young and it might cause some over-socialization like with my own. (He wants to play with every single dog he sees)

P.S. my friends used pee pads and the puppy almost always missed atleast half off the pad. (Even with the sprays and tricks to get them to pee there) Maybe you can get one of those grass patches so in the future he wont be too confused? :) I know a few people who use it for apartment living. My dog knows he is only allowed to pee on grass so when he had an accident inside a few months ago he went on the carpet cause that was the most similar. So maybe the grass will be an easier transition and less confusing!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.