Possible parvo - advice needed please (cross posted) - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Possible parvo - advice needed please (cross posted)

I cross posted this in the health and wellness forum as well, but I'm posting here also to reach out to those who may not frequent there but can still offer advice. If this is against the rules, I apologize to the admin. Just looking for help.

I have put a partial deposit down on a GSD puppy from a reputable breeder. Pups were ready to come home on Thanksgiving, my breeder agreed to keep ours one extra week as my daughter's birthday is Saturday and it's a surprise for her. First pup that went home was home three days and showed symptoms - that family under breeders advice took him immediately to the vet. Parvo positive. The next day, one of her remaining puppies seemed to be showing signs, so she took him in and he tested positive also. She immediately took her remaining puppies to her vet - she must have a great relationship with him because he took in 6 puppies for IV's and quarantine on Thanksgiving day. All her puppies received one parvo vax at about the 5-6 week mark(though I know one vax isn't enough). They have been in quarantine since Thursday evening and all are responding well to IV and treatment and are energetic according to report fromr vet. My breeder is devastated, she has been breeding GSD's for over 10 years and has never had this happen with any other litter. I have so many questions, so here goes.

- I don't have experience with parvo but I do fully understand it's highly contagious and a b#%*h to kill, if you even can. I'm assuming that my puppy is most likely positive. I have multiple neighbors all around me with dogs, friends whom I visit with dogs, and am around my brother's two adult dogs constantly. I can't imagine exposing any of them to this regardless of if they've been vaccinated or not. Is this enough to just stop right here and not bring this puppy home?

- If my puppy is positive, but recovers fully, should I expect her to suffer any effects from this long term? Not asking as if any of you are vets, I know I will asking my own vet these same questions. Asking for your personal experiences with any possible long term parvo effects.

- When she first told me what was happening, it seemed that she automatically assumed I would not want the dog anymore, which is very confusing to me because that would never be my initial reaction. After she realized I wasn't going to immediately say "thanks but no thanks" she has continued to keep me diligently updated and is nothing but grateful for my support. I have driven 4 hours round trip and visited this puppy twice already since she was born. I have been communicating with this breeder asking questions and just getting to know her since before the dam of this litter was even pregnant. Needless to say, this puppy hasn't been just a mere "thought" to me just because I don't have her physically at home yet. BUT... now I'm just at a loss for what to do. SHOULD I be saying "thanks but no thanks"? Personally, my heart is heavy that this has happened to these poor puppies, and because I know the breeder is heartbroken, but if I do not end up taking the dog, I know I will be ok - it would be a completely different story if the puppy was already home and my daughter and son were attached and this happened. They know nothing of it as it was going to be a surprise.

- If this puppy recovers and I do bring her home, I know there is a time period where I would still have to quarantine her from other dogs no matter what. In your experience, will this hurt her in terms of socialization? I keep reading about how that "window" is important when they are young.

- I have left a message with her vet to call me to speak to him directly and see what the outlook is. At this point I know she is just trying to make sure all these puppies live. She cares nothing about the money as she obviously has already told me I will receive the deposit I have already paid back in full, has agreed to pay the first puppy's vet bill to that family, and is currently incurring the expense of SIX in a vet hospital quarantine with IV's, multiple meds, and testing. I really respect that about her professionally and emotionally, but i don't know if that validates in any way bringing this puppy home.

- I spoke to my vet about the situation. His exact words were he "wouldn't be in a hurry" to accept a dog with parvo, and that even if we do decide to bring her home he would want to see clear fecals, second parvo vax, and full recovery of appetite and the original intestinal distress, among other things. We talked about some of these other topics I have mentioned and he really just seemed 50/50 about it, but definitely not enthusiastic. He is of the mind that if you are paying a price for an animal from a reputable breeder, it needs a clean bill of health and should be included in the contract(which it is).

- Are you all out there laughing at me because I'm just completely an idiot for even considering the thought of accepting this puppy at all? If I am, I need to know. My sentimental animal lover side doesn't want to let go.

Sorry this is so long winded. I'm just at a loss. It's not about the money to me though it should be... and yet it shouldn't be about the emotions and it is... I'm just torn. Thank you for taking the time to read this. Any honest advice is greatly appreciated, Im a big girl, I can take it.

Attached some pics - the day I first met her @ 4 weeks old, me and the hubs with her @ 6 weeks, and a pic of her and one of her brothers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5339.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	394346   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5401.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	394354   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5451.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	394362  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 02:55 PM
Knighted Member

I wouldn't bring the pup home. It may sound harsh, but there can be long term effects from parvo I wouldn't want to deal with and like your vet alluded to, I don't want to chance bringing it into my home and property. I'm not laughing at you at all, its a tough thing to happen.
lalabug likes this.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 03:12 PM

If you've already visited the pup a couple times, there is a chance you already brought the virus home on your shoes/clothes/hands etc, and it's virtually impossible to kill. Lasts 7-10 years or maybe longer. So I would say it would be irresponsible to bring a DIFFERENT puppy home and risk infecting it before it's had its set of 3/4 shots. I mean the chances are probably very small, but it would be heartbreaking to go through that with a different puppy. If anything you would need to get an adult dog (older than 8 months) who's already been vaccinated for parvo.

One good thing is once a pup survives parvo, it has lifelong immunity.

If you are set on taking this pup, I would ask the breeder to hold it for 4 weeks after he/she has recovered from the parvo. That way you can be sure your pup doesn't have any lasting effects, like heart or brain damage.

That's a horrible situation and I'm very sorry, just try to calm down and take it one step at a time. You don't have to decide anything today, or tomorrow. This is an important decision and I'm sure you realize it's more important than surprising your kids at this point.

I do think maybe you should talk to a different vet, this is important enough that you'd want to get second and third opinions.
stepkau likes this.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 03:42 PM

Great looking pup! Hopefully she can make a full recovery. I don't have any Pravo experience to share but just an observation/opinion: you found yourself a quality breeder.. Some breeders might do a cost benefit analysis and quietly have the litter euthanized and removed from their website.. As you know already there are going to be costs associated with these pups now and possibly later down the road.. Also, your breeder is going to have difficulty finding GOOD homes for these pups.

Would I want to take home a puppy with Pravo or suggest it? Nope, but then again I don't have the cutest pictures ever of me and my puppy like you do..

Not an easy decision, I wish you the best..
lalabug likes this.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 03:59 PM

I don't know how to edit my original reply, but I just re-read your post... after your puppy comes home, he would have been tested to make sure he is not shedding the live parvo virus in his stool so after you get him, you would not need to worry about infecting your friends and neighbors' dogs (they are vaccinated HOPEFULLY so this wouldn't be an issue anyway).
lalabug likes this.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

I'm in tears reading this. Thank you so much for your kind understanding. From what I gather, the last time I visited the puppy, it was almost a full 3 weeks before the first dog showed symptoms and I *think* the incubation window is 7-10 days but I could be wrong. So hopefully I'm in the clear as far as that goes. Not that at this point I want to even think of bringing another puppy home, but that's just going to be another decision at some later point in time.

She did agree that it would absolutely be best and she was all for keeping the dog until or through Christmas/New Year's to ensure health if we make the decision to go ahead and take her. I've just never been in a situation quite like this so it's hard for me to know what the best thing to do is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatChandler View Post
If you've already visited the pup a couple times, there is a chance you already brought the virus home on your shoes/clothes/hands etc, and it's virtually impossible to kill. Lasts 7-10 years or maybe longer. So I would say it would be irresponsible to bring a DIFFERENT puppy home and risk infecting it before it's had its set of 3/4 shots. I mean the chances are probably very small, but it would be heartbreaking to go through that with a different puppy. If anything you would need to get an adult dog (older than 8 months) who's already been vaccinated for parvo.

One good thing is once a pup survives parvo, it has lifelong immunity.

If you are set on taking this pup, I would ask the breeder to hold it for 4 weeks after he/she has recovered from the parvo. That way you can be sure your pup doesn't have any lasting effects, like heart or brain damage.

That's a horrible situation and I'm very sorry, just try to calm down and take it one step at a time. You don't have to decide anything today, or tomorrow. This is an important decision and I'm sure you realize it's more important than surprising your kids at this point.

I do think maybe you should talk to a different vet, this is important enough that you'd want to get second and third opinions.
CatChandler likes this.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, and I know to this breeder it isn't about the cost as she took them straight to her vet and all 6 are on the 4th day of quarantine care, IV treatment, etc... she said her vet is very honest, and probably wouldn't have even made an attempt unless he knew he could save all of them.

And the pictures make it even harder for me... we already have a little joy and so much time invested with the breeder communicating back and forth. sigh.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepkau View Post
Great looking pup! Hopefully she can make a full recovery. I don't have any Pravo experience to share but just an observation/opinion: you found yourself a quality breeder.. Some breeders might do a cost benefit analysis and quietly have the litter euthanized and removed from their website.. As you know already there are going to be costs associated with these pups now and possibly later down the road.. Also, your breeder is going to have difficulty finding GOOD homes for these pups.

Would I want to take home a puppy with Pravo or suggest it? Nope, but then again I don't have the cutest pictures ever of me and my puppy like you do..

Not an easy decision, I wish you the best..
stepkau likes this.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 05:50 PM
Crowned Member

I would not refuse the pup. What I would do is have the breeder hold on to the pup(since they already have a contaminated area) for about two weeks after its first solid normal stool and no vomiting. Doing it this way will not put any dogs in danger in your area or home. You can confirm this with a good vet. You don't bring anything home from the breeders other then the puppy.
selzer likes this.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD

Last edited by llombardo; 11-28-2016 at 05:52 PM.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 06:08 PM

what a sad thing to happen especially during the holidays...
those puppies look amazing, would have been great if they never caught the virus and joined your family

if i were you, i would not take those dogs in....
just too much hassle and heartache

but it really must be miserable for the breeder
im assuming almost all other potential buyers cancelled their orders. what's gonna happen to the pups..... but that's not on the buyers, nor the breeder really
it's just misfortune...
lalabug likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 06:45 PM
Crowned Member

If the puppy survives, then it will need a home. If you are willing to give him a home, it will most likely be a great pet and companion for you.

Bleach kills parvo. Parvo will last on surfaces in your home (that are not bleached) for up to 2 years I think. Outside for 6 months. So, ask your vet for how long after the pup has recovered from parvo that the pup will shed the disease. Keep the puppy in a place where there are hard surfaces that can be washed with bleach/water. I think you have to put the bleach water down, for 10 minutes and then rinse. You can do this with your shoes as well.

If you have ever gone to a shelter, you might have brought parvo home. Parvo is nasty, but if dogs are vaccinated, they rarely get it -- adult dogs. It is hard on puppies. This is why a lot of breeders will not let people visit until after the puppy has had shots. But the first shots don't often work anyway, as the pup might be still under the dam's immunity. People will go puppy shopping, go to shelters and other breeders and then to the breeder, and if a breeder doesn't specifically ask you not to do this, then chances are someone did do this, and brought the parvo with them.

When you bring your puppy home, don't take him anywhere until he is unlikely to shed the disease. The disease is not shed by holding him, but through feces. So be militant about picking up and disinfecting, and you should be ok.
lalabug likes this.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Hepzibah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page