I cross posted this in the health and wellness forum as well, but I'm posting here also to reach out to those who may not frequent there but can still offer advice. If this is against the rules, I apologize to the admin. Just looking for help.
I have put a partial deposit down on a GSD puppy from a reputable breeder. Pups were ready to come home on Thanksgiving, my breeder agreed to keep ours one extra week as my daughter's birthday is Saturday and it's a surprise for her. First pup that went home was home three days and showed symptoms - that family under breeders advice took him immediately to the vet. Parvo positive. The next day, one of her remaining puppies seemed to be showing signs, so she took him in and he tested positive also. She immediately took her remaining puppies to her vet - she must have a great relationship with him because he took in 6 puppies for IV's and quarantine on Thanksgiving day. All her puppies received one parvo vax at about the 5-6 week mark(though I know one vax isn't enough). They have been in quarantine since Thursday evening and all are responding well to IV and treatment and are energetic according to report fromr vet. My breeder is devastated, she has been breeding GSD's for over 10 years and has never had this happen with any other litter. I have so many questions, so here goes.
- I don't have experience with parvo but I do fully understand it's highly contagious and a b#%*h to kill, if you even can. I'm assuming that my puppy is most likely positive. I have multiple neighbors all around me with dogs, friends whom I visit with dogs, and am around my brother's two adult dogs constantly
. I can't imagine exposing any
of them to this regardless of if they've been vaccinated or not. Is this enough to just stop right here and not bring this puppy home?
- If my puppy is positive, but recovers fully, should I expect her to suffer any effects from this long term? Not asking as if any of you are vets, I know I will asking my own vet these same questions. Asking for your personal experiences with any possible long term parvo effects.
- When she first told me what was happening, it seemed that she automatically assumed I would not want the dog anymore, which is very confusing to me because that would never be my initial reaction. After she realized I wasn't going to immediately say "thanks but no thanks" she has continued to keep me diligently updated and is nothing but grateful for my support. I have driven 4 hours round trip and visited this puppy twice already since she was born. I have been communicating with this breeder asking questions and just getting to know her since before the dam of this litter was even pregnant. Needless to say, this puppy hasn't been just a mere "thought" to me just because I don't have her physically at home yet. BUT... now I'm just at a loss for what to do. SHOULD I be saying "thanks but no thanks"? Personally, my heart is heavy that this has happened to these poor puppies, and because I know the breeder is heartbroken, but if I do not end up taking the dog, I know I will be ok - it would be a completely different story if the puppy was already home and my daughter and son were attached and this happened. They know nothing of it as it was going to be a surprise.
- If this puppy recovers and I do bring her home, I know there is a time period where I would still
have to quarantine her from other dogs no matter what. In your experience, will this hurt her in terms of socialization? I keep reading about how that "window" is important when they are young.
- I have left a message with her vet to call me to speak to him directly and see what the outlook is. At this point I know she is just trying to make sure all these puppies live. She cares nothing about the money as she obviously has already told me I will receive the deposit I have already paid back in full, has agreed to pay the first puppy's vet bill to that family, and is currently incurring the expense of SIX in a vet hospital quarantine with IV's, multiple meds, and testing. I really respect that about her professionally and emotionally, but i don't know if that validates in any way bringing this puppy home.
- I spoke to my vet about the situation. His exact words were he "wouldn't be in a hurry" to accept a dog with parvo, and that even if we do decide to bring her home he would want to see clear fecals, second parvo vax, and full recovery of appetite and the original intestinal distress, among other things. We talked about some of these other topics I have mentioned and he really just seemed 50/50 about it, but definitely not enthusiastic. He is of the mind that if you are paying a price for an animal from a reputable breeder, it needs a clean bill of health and should be included in the contract(which it is).
- Are you all out there laughing at me because I'm just completely an idiot for even considering the thought of accepting this puppy at all? If I am, I need to know. My sentimental animal lover side doesn't want to let go.
Sorry this is so long winded. I'm just at a loss. It's not about the money to me though it should be... and yet it shouldn't be about the emotions and it is... I'm just torn. Thank you for taking the time to read this. Any honest
advice is greatly appreciated, Im a big girl, I can take it.
Attached some pics - the day I first met her @ 4 weeks old, me and the hubs with her @ 6 weeks, and a pic of her and one of her brothers.