German Shepherds Forum banner

Gsd puppy eating everything

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  CarrieJo 
#1 ·
Any tips to get your puppy to stop eating everything outside. He tries to eat sand, dirt, rocks, leaves, sticks, etc. I've been keeping him on leash now in my fenced in yard because of it. I never leave him out alone, always with him. He's 15 weeks, any tips from those who have been through it before?

#3 ·
my dog, at 3months of age, ate moderate amounts of grass and leaves, and always ate poop

but he grew out of it

he's 5 1/2 months old now

regarding eating leaves and grass, i didn't have to do anything
the poop, i had to catch the poop everytime without fail, losing sleep

now he just sniffs it maybe and leaves it alone

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
i've read that since he's a puppy, he's tryhing to explore the world using his mouth
if he's finding rocks more interesting to chew on, try give him better things, like a toy or give him lots of exercise

i dont consider myself giving my dog extra amoutn of exercise

he goes on walks about 6 times per week, and goes to local parks (not dog parks), and we play fetch or chase

but he's always running and his energy is drained by the time he comes back

im trying to curb that since i found out sprinting is bad for young dogs since it increases chances of hip dysplasia but if that's true, then i'm pretty much **** we sprint alot...

#5 ·
My puppy did this.

They explore many things by using their mouth. What worked for me was greatly increasing play time/training time, watching him like a HAWK and quickly redirecting him (this made me/toys/play more interesting than random crap on the ground), but he also just grew out of it.

He still picks things up sometimes, but not with the constant frustrating amount he did at 3-4mos.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.