German Shepherds Forum banner

When to change from puppy food to adult food?

9K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  lytrefry 
#1 ·
I know on regular bags of puppy food it says to wait until a year.. but I'm wondering if that is what I should go by.. I feed her half actrium puppy food and homemade dog food (chicken or turkey or deer, rice and some fruit and veggies).. she is 4 months old now. When is a good time to change over?

#2 ·
i was also under the impression that a puppy should be on puppy specific food until after 1yrs of age
but i've read from some members here that once a dog is 5m or older, he/she can be on "all life stages" food

so that's what im doing. my 5 1/2m old dog is now off puppy food

#6 ·
im not really an expert but i just follow the GSD growth chart, the kibble bag's feeding guide, and visual look of my dog to gauge whether he's overeating/undereating

1 cup, on the back of my kibble, says 8oz.

so right now my dog eats 1 cup per meal, for a total of 3 cups, or 24oz

and he also gets probiotic supplement, coconut oil, whole boiled eggs here and there, baby carrots and celery here and there

Attachments

#14 ·
I took Valor off Orijen Large Puppy when he was about 6 months old. He's now on Orijen Tundra or sometimes Orijen Six Fish. He's doing great on it. He gets a cup and a half of Tundra with some broccoli and ground lean turkey twice a day. He's thriving! I could not be happier and his energy is through the roof.

It's all about their growing too fast on the puppy food which can lead to other issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.