German Shepherds Forum banner

German shepherd puppy

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  lytrefry 
#1 ·
My german shepherd pup is 9 weeks old and has had loose stools since we have had him. This Friday will make 2 weeks we have him. I took him to the vet and he was diagnosed with coccidia hes been on antibiotics since last Thursday. After giving the meds he has 1 or 2 good bowel movements then it goes to pudding consistency. We want to keep him inside but cant due to this issue ao he stays in the garage unless we are home and right behind him. Does anyone have any advice to help me help him. He acts just fine, and his appetit is good also.

#3 ·
He is on albon 4cc a day since last Thursday when I took him to the vet. They took a fecal sample and told me he had coccidia, I have read about it and from what I gather after a few days on the meds it should start clearing up. He is no longer having a lot of watery stool just a couple a day the rest is pudding consistency. I called the vet yesterday and they told me I could try a high fiber dog food so I read up on that. From what I read thats what they give to help have bowel movements. I asked the vet about worms and they said they found no worms, so not to worm him again. He is also taking a 1/2 tablet of calcium vitamins 3 times a day.

#4 ·
Also with the vet saying that he could start a high fiber diet, in which helps them to have bowel movements. I kind of wonder if he was diagnosed properly. The vet I tool him to is not my normal vet they were referred to me by a friend. The 2 times I had him in the car he vomitted majorly so the vet that was referred to me was 15 miles from my home as to where my vet is 55 miles one way. So I just took him to that one and he still vomitted just going the 15 miles.

#15 ·
A little ginger will help with car sickness. I'd use ginger snaps, one for a toy dog. Another thing that helped was putting another dog in the same crate, not sure why that helped. Also letting them see out a window, the windshield if safely possible.

#17 ·
I brought my puppy home from the breeder and she was lazy, tired, and just plain sick. She had diarrhea extremely bad! I brought her to my vet and she was diagnosed with coccida too. She had diarrhea just like yours for almost a week after she was finished her antibiotics. But after it was done and the parasite and antibiotics were out of her system she did awesome.. hopefully it works out well like that for your baby!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.